Tying down the bike for transportation

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elder Scoot

Tying down the bike for transportation

Post by Elder Scoot »

One of the reasons I've ordered my 125 auto is to be able to take her to out of state rallies or places to which I don't care to ride. I've ordered a Magneta hitch carrier which is a really interesting carrier that lowers the rail to the ground and then raises the rail with the bike on it with a built in jack.

I've transported bikes from full-size Harleys to dirt bikes and understand the tie down process. However the Stella is a somewhat different bike.

I believe that the best front tie down points would be the brackets that hold the mirrors - they seem really quite sturdy - and being close to the steering tube an ideal point. I've got Canyon Dancers - but they can bend the handlebars if you're not very careful.

Tying down the rear end presents issues in that there are no great tie down points. I am thinking of opening the seat and using a very long, heavy duty strap wrap the strap at the area of the seat pin and under the carrier rail and to use soft cloth to avoid scratches on the cowling. Has anyone done that? Better advice and better ideas are most welcome.

Thanks.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

When I transported my Stella (shifty) I wrapped a towel around the neck just under the handle bar/ instrument cluster. Then I ran my strap tie down around that point. Solid point with no threat of bending the bars. For rear support I ran my strap across the floor board angling to a tie down point in the rear.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

You could put a rear rack on it then attach tie-downs there..
Ive always used a canyon dancer and never bent any bars. just cant sinch it too tight.
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

I would use a Canyon Dancer or Cycle Cinch harness across the handlebars. I would also run a strap through the front wheel and around the rail. (You need a ratchet strap that makes a loop, instead of hooks on each end) I also like the idea of installing a rear rack to tie the rear of the scooter down.
Being in the business, I have tied down more motorcycles than I can count. I have seen them tied all kinds of ways some better than others. I always say there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it gets where it is going safe.
pesce

Post by pesce »

I've tied my come alongs to the neck, but more often than not to the hand grips. I've replaced my slippery stock grips and put those suckers on with some glue.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Hey Elderscoot...have you heard of any Stella Autos 125 in the States yet??
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

jimmbomb wrote:Hey Elderscoot...have you heard of any Stella Autos 125 in the States yet??
My dealer was talking to the CEO of Genuine and she said the bikes should be available at dealers around the last week of February.

I'm really psyched about this scoot.
evilbean42

Post by evilbean42 »

I would stick with the canyon dancers. You can bend any mounting point if you crank the bike down too far. Just don't let the suspension completely bottom out, leaving an inch of remaining travel is enough to prevent bending anything and will still hold the bike down more than tight enough. I've transported my wife's Buddy 125 and my Stella 4T in the back of my pickup using canyon dancers and some harbor freight ratchet straps without any problems.

First time around I used 2 straps on the canyon dancer and then one going through my cowl guards in the back. Since then I haven't used anything on the back. Once the front was ratcheted down tight the back end wouldn't wiggle at all and I decided to just let it be.

Just make sure you crank it down evenly, if it looks like the bike is starting to lean, take em off and start over, don't use the center stand at all, and anytime you make a pit stop, make sure everything is still nice and tight. Oh, and most importantly, enjoy the rallies.