Who's put a Go-Pro camera on their Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

Who's put a Go-Pro camera on their Buddy?

Post by pugbuddy »

Just looking for information on how it works and what you got from it!

(And no, I don't expect the results to be nearly as impressive as the Go-Pro that was attached to a hulu hoop used by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders).
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
dingo

Post by dingo »

I went with a Muvi micro camera instead, its much more affordable. but I was going to ask the same question. I will probably mount it on my helmet with two-sided tape.

the Muvi camera is much much smaller and is only $65 dollars with an assortment of mounts.

It is smaller than a pack of chewing gum.

Image[/img]
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I have a Go-Pro and have attached it to my Buddy. I used the suction cup mount. It works great on the top of the headset. I have also put it on the side of the leg shield to get a lower angle.

See my youtube channel listed below to watch examples

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
zuki

Post by zuki »

I find that the gopro work much better on a helmet,I have the new one with wifi and I can use my iPhone to control it, works better then the remote that came with it . I tried to mount it on my motorcycle but it just got to much vibration and shook to much, video comes out much better on the side of my helmet but the top work too.The nice thing about using my iPhone is it give you a display screen of what you are filming and you can change the setting so much easier. I mount the camera on the side of my helmet upside down and just go under the setting a switch the camera to showing the video right side up. The mount that is used for helmets you better make sure you put it where u want it as they dont come off, which is a good thing as much as they cost sure don't want it coming off. Picture quality is so amazing for such a little camera.

I havent done any scooter videos yet but here is one on my enduro. (This is a top helmet mount)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHp9mCMo8gg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WedFOQy ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by zuki on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I seem to recall Ericalm attaching a camera to his chest to record his trip. I wonder if he used a GoPro or something less expensive like the Muvi?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I use one while riding trails on my Kawasaki KLX 300. They are great little cameras for all kinds of fun purposes, really. Helmet mount is cool for the rider perspective (obviously). I prefer side mount with some helmet showing for perspective. I didn't really get the angle right on this video - it's pointed down a little bit more than I'd like. Also was a little crooked!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WtdSeRxhrCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

jmazza wrote:I use one while riding trails on my Kawasaki KLX 300. They are great little cameras for all kinds of fun purposes, really. Helmet mount is cool for the rider perspective (obviously). I prefer side mount with some helmet showing for perspective. I didn't really get the angle right on this video - it's pointed down a little bit more than I'd like. Also was a little crooked!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WtdSeRxhrCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Very nice! So, the bouncing around doesn't affect the picture quality? Good to know.

Not sure about the mount though. Is it permanent? Howardr said he used a suction mount but I don't think that would hold for this kind of ride, would it?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Howardr wrote:I have a Go-Pro and have attached it to my Buddy. I used the suction cup mount. It works great on the top of the headset. I have also put it on the side of the leg shield to get a lower angle.

See my youtube channel listed below to watch examples

Howard
I just looked at your Oak Creek Ascent vid. Right where the road gets good you get stuck behind a bus! Too bad, but good videos, Howard.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

The suction cup mount did fail me once on a fairly rough dirt road. I hit the bottom of a steep section where it flattened out abruptly. The scooter made it, but the Go-Pro kept going down. It hit, the case opened and the camera went bouncing across the gravel.

It still works great, but I don't recommend using the suction cup of you're riding off the pavement.

Howard

@SYD - Getting stuck behind that bus was a bummer. I tried waiting a bit but there are so many tour busses there that it couldn't be helped.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

pugbuddy wrote: Very nice! So, the bouncing around doesn't affect the picture quality? Good to know.

Not sure about the mount though. Is it permanent? Howardr said he used a suction mount but I don't think that would hold for this kind of ride, would it?
The mount used in that video was, yes, a permanent sticky pad that the GoPro mount slides in to. So, as permanent as 3M double sided tape is. The bouncing is not as bad when the GoPro is on the rider rather than the bike. There is a mount that is very strong elastic that goes around a helmet that could work and won't require sticking something on your helmet. As far as putting it on the bike there are clamps that you could use on the handlebars but for the shield or swing arm you'd want the sticky mount.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Just got one for $50 on W00t.com, so I will soon have one to document my 2-wheeled madness.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

skully93 wrote:Just got one for $50 on W00t.com, so I will soon have one to document my 2-wheeled madness.
That's the not-quite "GoPro" but very similar-looking "GearPro." Curious!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Along those lines, I started a new thread to see if anyone has non-GoPro recommendations: viewtopic.php?p=331578#331578

Also, for those who do have one, what are you doing with all the footage? The large majority of people I know who have one seem to do pretty much nothing with it other than dump it all on a hard drive!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

skully93 wrote:Just got one for $50 on W00t.com, so I will soon have one to document my 2-wheeled madness.
I saw that and decided to pull the trigger myself. Worst case I get more junk mail and the cam's a POS. If it is can I sell it to you Eric? :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

The JVC has a Youtube setting and a live streaming Ustream function but I haven't tried them yet. With the gopro I posted some vid online but most of mine were me looking in the camera saying "is this thing on?"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:
I saw that and decided to pull the trigger myself. Worst case I get more junk mail and the cam's a POS. If it is can I sell it to you Eric? :D
Sure. It'll go into the pile.