What scoot to commute? Help, please.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

What scoot to commute? Help, please.

Post by KCScooterDude »

Haven't been on the forums for a while. Thanks to an anticipated windfall, I'm considering buying a new scooter.

Curious as to anyone's thoughts about the appropriateness of a Stella or Blur 220i as a commuter bike. I commute two days a week 45-miles each way, half on city streets and half on rural two-lane that is almost trafficless (50-60 mph would be just fine). The rest of the time I'm in town. I put about 300 miles a week on my car. I'm currently scoot less, having sold my Blur 150 last summer. I need to carry a backpack (or stow that much gear) with a Macbook and iPad.

I know a lot of you commute. Of course because of the long commute I'm leaning toward the larger displacement. More concerned with wheel size and dependability.

Also looking at:
Honda PCX 150
Honda Forza
Honda Silverwing
Vespa LX 150
Vespa GTS 300
Suzuki Burgman 200, 400, 650.

Thanks for your input.

I also posted a similar question on MV.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Without any personal experience with it I think that's expecting too much out of the Stella. I'm sure the Blur would work fine, if the riding position is comfy.

Do you have an SYM dealer nearby? If so I would add the SYM HD200 to your list' it's a great scoot.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If the terrain is flat, a 200cc scoot should work. Go with a 250 or be if its hilly.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have a 40 mile commute a couple times a week. at 55-60 the smaller scoots get 'fatiguing' and run out of gas at the end. Get a slightly larger, 200-350ccc with larger tires, which will make the longer commute more manageable.
Syd

Post by Syd »

And if you're thinking of the GTS 300, add the BV350 to your list too. It's a monster (in a good way).
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

When ever I am without a carpool buddy, and it's a nice day, I ride my Aprilia Scrabeo 500ie. If you are used to a smaller scooter, this really isn't much of a leap...especially if I can handle it...being female, 5'4" and in my early 50s. :) ...and it's one of the few bigger scooters that has a non-maxi look to it.

It's powerful enough to go as fast as you want, yet enjoyable on slower roads as well.

The tank is plenty big enough to get you there and back a couple of times, and there is lots of storage under the seat (though not big enough for my Scorpion modular helmet...but I have a large matching top case so it doesn't matter).

You can generally pick one up fairly inexpensively as well.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
skipper20

Re: What scoot to commute? Help, please.

Post by skipper20 »

KCScooterDude wrote:Haven't been on the forums for a while. Thanks to an anticipated windfall, I'm considering buying a new scooter.

Curious as to anyone's thoughts about the appropriateness of a Stella or Blur 220i as a commuter bike. I commute two days a week 45-miles each way, half on city streets and half on rural two-lane that is almost trafficless (50-60 mph would be just fine). The rest of the time I'm in town. I put about 300 miles a week on my car. I'm currently scoot less, having sold my Blur 150 last summer. I need to carry a backpack (or stow that much gear) with a Macbook and iPad.

I know a lot of you commute. Of course because of the long commute I'm leaning toward the larger displacement. More concerned with wheel size and dependability.

Also looking at:
Honda PCX 150
Honda Forza
Honda Silverwing
Vespa LX 150
Vespa GTS 300
Suzuki Burgman 200, 400, 650.

Thanks for your input.

I also posted a similar question on MV.
At 45 miles each way, I'd go with the larger wheeled Blur 220i.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
'11 220i Blur
'08 250i Sport City
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

If money is no object, go with the Vespa 300 GTS.

However, for great initial cost plus lower cost of maintenance plus good looks and loads of fun, the PCX 150 is the bike you want.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
toot

No vote for Stella

Post by toot »

Go for a large Vespa 200 -300 or a large wheeled scooter.. Blur is a specific scooter for sport riding roads not a touring scooter... Maybe a touring scooter that can give you the storage ability and the power when you need it, and a comfortable ride for the long commute. Stella is a wonderful classic ride like a classic car for the weekend and shorter commute. I saw that there is a new 200 Burgman that looks really appealing.. BUT I have too many toys. Good luck in what ever you get and Please Ride Safe always.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Go look, sit and touch. Fit and feel are the most important. If you plan on letting someone else do the service work take that into consideration also. Everyone will tell you there is no replacement for displacement. The roads you travel on your commute will also factor this in for your final choice. Good luck and choose well.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

How much do you have to carry?

I used to do a 70 mile per day round trip commuting. I did it on a Burgman 650 Ex and then a BMW C650GT.

I would suggest the larger displacement scooters...400 cc minimum. You will be racking up miles. Commuting on my BMW I put 10,000 miles on in 7 months. Also consider weather protection...how is the air flow? Commuting you ride in all types of weather conditions.

I think the Swing, the Burgman 400, and the BMW are your best bets. Why not the Burg 650? The ECVT has known problems. My clutch bearing went out at 24K miles ($3,000 covered under extended) and started acting up again at 37K miles...not acceptable.

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BuddyRaton wrote:I think the Swing, the Burgman 400, and the BMW are your best bets. Why not the Burg 650? The ECVT has known problems. My clutch bearing went out at 24K miles ($3,000 covered under extended) and started acting up again at 37K miles...not acceptable.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. And Agreed. To which I can only add that used 2003 Silver Wings are going for ridiculously low prices, often about the same as a used Buddy! :shock: I know, it's hard to believe but it's true. If you're just going to use the heck out of it commuting, you want it to be cheap, reliable, fast, and comfy and the Swing does all those things easily.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:I think the Swing, the Burgman 400, and the BMW are your best bets. Why not the Burg 650? The ECVT has known problems. My clutch bearing went out at 24K miles ($3,000 covered under extended) and started acting up again at 37K miles...not acceptable.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. And Agreed. To which I can only add that used 2003 Silver Wings are going for ridiculously low prices, often about the same as a used Buddy! :shock: I know, it's hard to believe but it's true. If you're just going to use the heck out of it commuting, you want it to be cheap, reliable, fast, and comfy and the Swing does all those things easily.
Why, when somebody mentions the Silverwing (Swing), do I think of Wayne's World? :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Why, when somebody mentions the Silverwing (Schwing), do I think of Wayne's World? :)
There, I fixed that for you. :twisted:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Howardr wrote:If money is no object, go with the Vespa 300 GTS.

However, for great initial cost plus lower cost of maintenance plus good looks and loads of fun, the PCX 150 is the bike you want.

Howard
For dependability and their established parts and service network, Honda is tough to equal, much less beat.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
I will say that the Swing has never done much for me...but everyone I have spoken to that has one loves it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL