New scooter classification in Indiana

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JettaKnight

New scooter classification in Indiana

Post by JettaKnight »

http://www.14news.com/story/24622546/in ... ation-bill

There's a bill now to change the classification and add plates for all small scooters.

I haven't read the whole bill to determine what's "class A" vs. "class B", but I noticed that fee for registration is split among the usual stuff, plus a $1.25 "anti-terrorism" fee. :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Darned terrorists on those 50cc scooters! :wink:
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Dooglas wrote:Darned terrorists on those 50cc scooters! :wink:
No kidding! But, do all registrations include this? Seems like a weasel way of getting more money.

But, I digress from the real topic - is my Buddy 125 a "class A motor driven cycle" or a "motorcycle" under this legislation?

What's the difference in terms of privileges and costs? I do see that a Class A scooter requires a MC endorsement w/ a Class A limit.

Class B is of 49cc and lower - there's no insurance or DL requirement, but you will need a plate (but no title) on the vehicle and you need an endorsement on your state issued ID.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Maybe this is the key:
Upon all roadways, a motor driven cycle shall be driven as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
I don't want a motor driven cycle then...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Here in California we had that system for years. except it's an M1 or M2 for 49cc or under. At least it would be easier to prove if your 50 cc scoot was reported stolen....
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

JettaKnight wrote:Maybe this is the key:
Upon all roadways, a motor driven cycle shall be driven as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
I don't want a motor driven cycle then...
That's how Michigan's is worded, too. I've never ridden my 50 on the right side of the road, and never been harassed about it. I always figured that if it came down to it, I'd make a fierce argument about what was "practicable."
TVB

Post by TVB »

Quo Vadimus wrote:That's how Michigan's is worded, too. I've never ridden my 50 on the right side of the road, and never been harassed about it. I always figured that if it came down to it, I'd make a fierce argument about what was "practicable."
Practice saying, "I was getting ready to make a left turn." :) Even bicycles are allowed to take the appropriate lane for that purpose.

The intent of that wording is to require under-powered vehicles to behave like bicyclists, allowing cars to get around them more easily and quickly. (It was written with contemporary 20-25mph mopeds in mind.) But I'm usually keeping pace with traffic, so I ignore it. When I'm going the speed limit, but other vehicles are going faster, or in road conditions where I'm not prepared to keep up, I do stick to the rightmost lane, simply because that's what all slower-than-other-traffic vehicles are supposed to do.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

This was signed into law and will be effective Jan 1.
fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

Drum Pro wrote:Here in California we had that system for years. except it's an M1 or M2 for 49cc or under. At least it would be easier to prove if your 50 cc scoot was reported stolen....
M2 Used to be 49cc or under... Thats how it was when I got my MC (M1) license in the 90s...

It has completely changed:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm
Syd

Post by Syd »

Pretty simple in AZ: It's a moped or it's a motorcycle. Small displacement with working pedals is a moped. Everything else, from 50cc Buddys to 1800cc Goldwings require title, registration, insurance and a motorcycle license.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Syd wrote:Pretty simple in AZ: It's a moped or it's a motorcycle. Small displacement with working pedals is a moped. Everything else, from 50cc Buddys to 1800cc Goldwings require title, registration, insurance and a motorcycle license.
In AZ, speed seems to be a part of the equation too. I bought a '87 Honda CH150 Elite scooter in AZ this past January. When I went to transfer the title, one of the questions I was asked by the AZ DMV person was "how fast does it go"? When I answered "about 50 mph" she said something like "Oh, it's a motorcycle then".

Bill in Seattle
Syd

Post by Syd »

skipper20 wrote:
Syd wrote:Pretty simple in AZ: It's a moped or it's a motorcycle. Small displacement with working pedals is a moped. Everything else, from 50cc Buddys to 1800cc Goldwings require title, registration, insurance and a motorcycle license.
In AZ, speed seems to be a part of the equation too. I bought a '87 Honda CH150 Elite scooter in AZ this past January. When I went to transfer the title, one of the questions I was asked by the AZ DMV person was "how fast does it go"? When I answered "about 50 mph" she said something like "Oh, it's a motorcycle then".

Bill in Seattle
Then you spoke with a person at the DMV who doesn't know the laws. There are several of them, I think.
The majority is always sane - Nessus