wouldn't turn on: gas/rain issue, or time for a charger?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

wouldn't turn on: gas/rain issue, or time for a charger?

Post by Edwub »

Hey all,

In May of last year I posted about a battery problem: a bad cable, common to many of the 2011 Blurs according to the local dealer. Today, I had troubles starting my scooter. This may not be Blur specific, but a general problem. Two potential issues come to mind: mind:

1) It rained pretty hard (for LA) last night, and the first in a while, but my scooter is always covered and against the side of a building with a small overhang, so it doesn't get that wet really.

2)I got gas yesterday morning, and I didn't properly close the flap. Gas at about 8am on my route to work, and at about 7pm right before I left work I noticed the fuel cap was just barely cracked open, meaning it must have been open for the 10+ hours.

This morning: key in, ready to go to work, and:
chh..chh.chhh.chh.chh..chhhh.chhh

Repeat a few times.
Twice: chh.chh.chh..VRRROOO----dies.
Then back to: chh..chh.chhh.chhh.chh etc.

After a while, I eventually got it to start, and gave it some gas. Let it sit for a few minutes, RPM was fine, didn't die. Figured it was safe to take to work. I noticed however that my clock reset. 00:05 when I started riding. It certainly wasn't 5 minutes past midnight. I'm not sure what to make of this time reset?

I don't think it was a battery issue initially. It seemed fine the whole time (chh..chh..chh.chh) which I figured it wouldn't do if it was battery, and it's been fine every day/night for a while, this was sudden. Usually starts off almost instantly.

I wasn't sure if the rain/humidity played an effect in this somehow, but it seemed a big coincidence if not. Sensor being weird? Something somehow got wet? Fuel injector being dumb? It did die twice when I was trying to get it on, the last time it started I had I managed to gave it some throttle and that kept it alive. Conversely: does this indicate that it might be something odd with the gas, due to it potentially being aired out most of yesterday? It was fine on the ride home yesterday though.

But the clock reset! Did I make it become a battery issue somehow, due to the repeated attempts at ignition over 15 minutes? I drained it heavily while the engine was just turning over endlessly? I've never had that happen before. I took a long ride in to work this morning, zig-zagging around many streets to make the ride longer and burn up gas.

I'm going to see if it starts easily when I leave work, take a zig-zag route home again, and top it off with fresh gas this evening. Sitting at work wondering if I should order myself a battery tender just to be able to top it off now and then as well if the battery is involved somehow.

Any thoughts?

//edits for clarity.
Last edited by Edwub on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skipper20

Re: wouldn't turn on: gas/rain issue, or time for a charger?

Post by skipper20 »

Edwub wrote:Hey all,

In May of last year I posted about a battery problem: a bad cable, common to many of the 2011 Blurs according to the local dealer. Today, I had troubles starting my scooter. Two things came to mind:

1) It rained pretty hard (for LA) last night, and the first in a while, but my scooter is always covered and against the side of a building with a small overhang, so it doesn't get that wet really.

2)I got gas yesterday morning, and I didn't properly close the flap. Gas at about 8am on my route to work, and at about 7pm right before I left work I noticed it was just barely cracked open and closed it. So I guess the crack was open for ~10+ hours.

This morning: key in, ready to go to work, and:
chh..chh.chhh.chh.chh..chhhh.chhh

Repeat a few times.
Twice: chh.chh.chh..VRRROOO----dies.
Then back to: chh..chh.chhh.chhh.chh etc.

After a while, I eventually got it to turn over and gave it some gas. Let it sit for a few minutes, RPM was fine, didn't die. Figured it was safe to take to work. I noticed however that my clock reset. 00:05 when I started riding. It certainly wasn't 5 minutes past midnight. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Any thoughts?
I don't have an answer for you as I've had essentially the same problem with my 220i Blur also a 2011. BTW, this subject is probably better addressed in the Blur Forum but that's OK, this Buddy General Discussion Forum seems to have a lot more action thus visibility. Anyway, if any of you have an answer to our 2011 Blur fickle starting problem I/we would definitely appreciate hearing about it.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
'11 220i Blur (Seattle scooter)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'm confused.

You subject says "turn on", what do you mean by that?

Then, I think you've in correctly used the term "turn over". What this really means is the crankshaft is rotating under the driving force of the starter. I think you used it when you really meant to say "started".

Am I correct?

And what "flap" are you talking about? Clock?

:?

Wait, is this a Buddy?

There is a better section if this is a Blur...
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I figured this was more of a general scooter issue than something Blur specific, but I'll keep that in mind for the future!
ie: general battery issue, go buy a charger? Might not be scooter type specific.
the gas went bad or funky, and that was causing an issue? etc.

And yes, I think I butchered the word choices! I'll edit the original post.
The engine was turning over (chh..chh.chh) but wouldn't start.
By flap, I meant the fuel cap. I got gas in the AM, didn't push the fuel cap closed all the way, so it was cracked open during my ride to work and while parked in the garage.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Well, it could be cranking, but without ignition it won't start. I don't know much about those FI systems, but does it smell like gasoline when trying to start it?

If water got into the tank, it would sink and displace the gasoline such that you'd have to drain it all out. Water in a gas system is bad (ask a pilot).
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does the Blur have a fuel cap door, kinda like most cars now? If that's what you left open, but firmly screwed on/attached the fuel cap I doubt water got into the tank. Do you ride daily? Or has it sat for a while?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

JettaKnight wrote:Well, it could be cranking, but without ignition it won't start. I don't know much about those FI systems, but does it smell like gasoline when trying to start it?

If water got into the tank, it would sink and displace the gasoline such that you'd have to drain it all out. Water in a gas system is bad (ask a pilot).
The exhaust/fumes while trying to start didn't smell any different than usual. Actually, I'm not sure. I spent much longer than usual trying to get it to start, so I can't gauge what the original smell was like as opposed to after a few minutes and a ton of attempts.

No water got into the tank (the day it was open was a beautiful sunny day :))
Syd wrote:Does the Blur have a fuel cap door, kinda like most cars now? If that's what you left open, but firmly screwed on/attached the fuel cap I doubt water got into the tank. Do you ride daily? Or has it sat for a while?
I ride daily. It's my twice daily moment of zen, I practically live for my commute. The only time to clear my mind and not attempt to balance work life vs home life :)

The fuel cap was closed before the rain started. It looks like this on the Blur (image via JustGottaScoot)

There's no separate cap. Twist the key, and you can dump whatever you want directly into the tank. It wasn't wide open like in the picture, so I don't think much gunk or dust fell in during the day as it was loosely closed, though it's possible since it wouldn't have been sealed.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

JettaKnight wrote:Well, it could be cranking, but without ignition it won't start. I don't know much about those FI systems, but does it smell like gasoline when trying to start it?

I'm the other guy in this thread and yes, on some of my start attempts, I have smelled gas. Not always, and not real strong, but I have smelled it. Any ideas what that odor might indicate?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona (til 4/3)
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
'11 220i Blur (Seattle scooter)