AZ and CA scooter meet up in March (aka 3:10 to Yuma)

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

AZ and CA scooter meet up in March (aka 3:10 to Yuma)

Post by Howardr »

Tucson's Sky Island Riders are planning to ride to Yuma, AZ and meet up with some California scooter friends (Jimmy TwoNutz on MV)

This is an open invitation to anyone who would like to come along or meet us there.

When?: 3/8 and 3/9/14 (We wanted to do this on 3:10, but the weekend works out better for most folk.)

Tucson and Phoenix riders will converge in Gila Bend and continue to Yuma together where we will meet up with our Cali brethren at a seedy hotel in Yuma. there, we can swap tall tales and scooter lies over the beverages of your choice.

More details in the coming weeks. Maybe the group that brings the most riders should be bought a round by the others?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I'm in. Good thing I was already looking into tuning the Yager for higher-speed touring, this would be a good run to shake it down on. Besides, with Doug, there's bound to be shenanigans. :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JimmyTwoNutz

Post by JimmyTwoNutz »

:mrgreen:
ShaunaPallas

Post by ShaunaPallas »

This looks like it might be an interesting ride... how would it be for a Scooting newbie? Recommended or no? =)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Shauna,

Four questions first:

1) What's the longest ride you've taken on your scooter?
2) What's the fastest speed you've ridden your scooter?
3) How many miles have you ridden on motorized two-wheelers to date?
4) Have you ridden with a group before?

I ask these questions to more accurately gauge the response. This trip will involve several hours in the saddle and will involve a few miles of highway travel at 60-65mph. You should know your limits and the limits of your bike before attempting a trip of this nature.

If you wish to go, my best recommendation would be to get some seat time in between now and then to get more familiar with your scooter. Do a group ride with the PHX Scooter Club to get a feel for group riding if you haven't yet. Try to take a ride of 50 miles, then a ride of 100 miles in order to learn how you handle longer trips. If you're feeling feisty, ride AZ 87 from Phoenix to Tucson and back. If after doing these things, you're still eager to ride to Yuma, great!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

From the thread on MV, folks are booking at the Knight's Inn in Yuma. Here's a link for availability:

http://www.knightsinn.com/hotels/arizon ... 14&rooms=1

Got my room. :mrgreen:

JimmyTwoNutz

Post by JimmyTwoNutz »

For the SoCal riders...

OK Socal riders...... (and I know who you are)

I'm putting together a little two day ride to Yuma AZ. March 8th-9th

We are going to start from:
Starbucks
Old Town Front & 6th, Temecula
28459 Old Town Front Street
Temecula, CA 925901892
Meet-up at 8:00am... Sit around and share stories of horror of that A-hole cager that cut you off on the way to the meet-up.
KSU... Between 8:30 and 9:00am.

Ride through Borrego Springs to the southern end of the Salton Sea then on to Yuma, seeing wonders and oddities along the way.

Once in Yuma, we will meet up with other riders coming in from Tucson and Phoenix to swap tales and tell lies about rides and scooters. Some beer drinking and naked debauchery may be involved.... I make no promises.

The plan is to stay at a sensibly priced hotel. (CHEAP) See above...

Have breakfast and hale farewell to the Arizona scooter contingent. Then figure how the hell are we getting back......

firmer details are up coming, as soon as I figure them out.

If you want a T-Shirt or a patch for this ride... I'm sure you can get one at the Arizona Welcome Center in Yuma.
JimmyTwoNutz

Post by JimmyTwoNutz »

16 days to go.... who's in?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I think the count from Tucson is eight; might need to confirm with Howard.

Going back to the garage tonight to finish piecing together John K's '05-'06-'07 GT200 hodgepodge. Going to get my new Power Pures mounted on the Yager as soon as the exhaust gasket comes in.

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

JimmyTwoNutz wrote: If you want a T-Shirt or a patch for this ride... I'm sure you can get one at the Arizona Welcome Center in Yuma.
You on your own for a T-shirt, but I'm pretty sure there will be a patch. :wink: