Genuine Buddy Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rickyd410

Genuine Buddy Question

Post by rickyd410 »

Ok, I'm all in for the Buddy, I'm going to call tomorrow to order mine, but before I do, I want to know, what are the chances the Buddy production is stopped like the Stella? I know it was a labor issue with the Stella. But could the same thing happen to the Buddy?

Thanks all.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Buddy is manufactured by PGO in Taiwan, one of the largest scooter producers in the world. They make several models for many different brands. I don't think they'll be closing shop anytime soon. So unless Genuine decides to stop the Buddy, it should be fine. And if they do stop, you can still order parts etc for the MyBuBu, the Asian equivalent.

Jody
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Are the BuBus still in production and being sold?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I emailed Genuine my question and got this response:
Ricky:

Good question.

The Buddy is made in a different country at a different factory owned by a much larger and more stable company than the one we were partnered with to produce the Stella.

The Buddy is manufactured in Taiwan by an ISO-9001 certified manufacturer that has been in the vehicle business since 1964 and has won many major awards for design, technology, and performance. Their scooters have also won the ELBA 500 International Rally Championship and the Paris Scooter Racing Championship.

I have been blown away with the quality control, engineering and performance of the Buddy and we expect to make a lot of them for a very long time.
Keys

Post by Keys »

In answer to your question; yes, the My BuBu is still in production and sold under the PGO marque in Asia. In Europe, it is marketed as the Leguro. Both have been in production for at least 2 years (I have found photos of a 2004 PGO Leguro on the internet). The My BuBu was a product award winner in Taiwan, beating out both Kymco and Honda products.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Quite a few people are still holding out hope that Stella production could resume at another factory. I think this possibility has become quite remote given Genuine's new lineup and as time goes by...

Those of us in CA hardly had a chance to get our hands on 'em (unless we brought one over state lines). :(
germ

Post by germ »

It doesn't really matter. My local scooter shop was working on a scooter yesterday that isn't made anymore. If you have a good local scooter shop they can do anything.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

germ wrote:If you have a good local scooter shop they can do anything.

Provided they can get parts for it.

Or parts that are *close enough* to parts for it. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?