Engine cool down?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RickWaza

Engine cool down?

Post by RickWaza »

All,

I'm a proud owner of a brand new Blur220 (first scooter and first new anything), and I'm trying to treat her right. The owner's manual says to warm up the engine (I forget how long) and let it cool off for 5-10 minutes per N minutes riding or something like that. As my commute is barely 20 minutes long, if I follow the manual, I spend as much time idling as I do riding. What is a reasonable engine warm up/cool down time? I put my hand in front of the exhaust and the fan and see if I can feel it getting appreciable warmer or cooler, but that's pretty fuzzy.

Thanks,

Rick
SevenhertZ

Cool down

Post by SevenhertZ »

I think as you read on you will see that you are riding a beast of a scooter. It can take a lot of abuse from what I have been told. Obviously breaking it in is clutch but def. don't sweat too many things about what they suggest to do.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Under normal conditions, idling your motor long enough to remove and stow your helmet and gloves should be sufficient.
Even turbocharged cars no longer need to be idled a while prior to engine shut down.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
skipper20

Re: Engine cool down?

Post by skipper20 »

RickWaza wrote:All,

I'm a proud owner of a brand new Blur220 (first scooter and first new anything), and I'm trying to treat her right. The owner's manual says to warm up the engine (I forget how long) and let it cool off for 5-10 minutes per N minutes riding or something like that. As my commute is barely 20 minutes long, if I follow the manual, I spend as much time idling as I do riding. What is a reasonable engine warm up/cool down time? I put my hand in front of the exhaust and the fan and see if I can feel it getting appreciable warmer or cooler, but that's pretty fuzzy.

Thanks,

Rick
I don't know about the "cool down" time but warming it up before you take off should be about the time it takes you to get your riding gear on. Then during your 20 minute commute alternate your speeds so that you're not at one constant speed. And, don't go WOT until after about 100 miles. As has already been stated, these are tough bikes. Just don't abuse them during those first 100 miles or so. Use your common sense and enjoy the ride.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona (til 4/3)
'11 220i Blur
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Kinda like having your first child, isn't it. You worry about it until the day comes when you figure out that they're not nearly as fragile as all that.

Keep the oil clean, gas in the tank, air in the tires, and have a BLURry good time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Someone actually read the owner's manual? Well done! :clap:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL