Scooter wont turn on

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dethsite

Scooter wont turn on

Post by dethsite »

i have a "new scooter" that i bought keep in mind im a complete noob to the scooter world. i also bought a new battery hooked it up made sure it was completely charged and all and when i turn the key the dash lights don't come on i push the electric start and nothing not even a sound and i made sure i turned off the kill switch. i try to kick start it and it sounds like it wants to start but it quickly cuts off and the headlights flicker , plz help!!!!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

**Alert** Chinese junk detected **Alert**

That being said, did you check to see if your fuses were ok? Not being familiar with this particular :roll: model I do not know where they would be located.

And welcome MB. :D
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
dethsite

Post by dethsite »

http://www.scooterdepot.us/media/catalo ... 1/6/16.jpg
Its pretty much a ruckus clone if that helps any but thanks I'll take a look :) [/img]
ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

Make sure you are squeezing the left brake lever. Usually scooters will not electric start if the brake is not applied.
dethsite

Post by dethsite »

I've tried that before and still no luck
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

Can you call Scooter Depot for support? Not saying that no one here should help but I'm just wondering what kind of post purchase support was available from the seller.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The difference between a nightmare Chinese scooter and a good Chinese scooter often comes down to dealer support. This might be a good time to test yours.
Syd

Post by Syd »

There is another forum that specializes in Chinascoots. It used to be called ScootDawg but now it is It Is The Ride. If you can't get the answer here you might want to check there.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

dethsite, with the key on, does the rear brake-light light up when you squeeze the left or the right brake lever?

If the brake-light does light then the lever should also be enabling the electric start, so something may be wrong elsewhere in the starter system. If the brake-light doesn't come on then there may be something wrong in the wiring of the levers.

Is there a manual choke, or is it automatic? If it is manual, are you using it when you try to kickstart? (You should, if the engine is cold.)

Have you tried the kill switch in either position? maybe it is installed backwards, or works opposite of what you expect.

Hope you get it going!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Did the scooter come with a manual of any kind? If so, use it find the location of the main fuse. Find it. Test it. While you're at it, open your battery compartment back up, test your battery and double-check your battery connections. The The red wire or connector should be conncted to the battery terminal with the big "+" symbol on it and the black wire or connector should be connected to the battery terminal with the big "-" symbol on it. The connections should be nice and snug and the terminals and connectors should be bright, shiny happy metal. Let us know what you see.

P.S. You'll need some kind of electrical tester to check the fuse for continuity and it would be helpful if it were a voltmeter so you could check your battery voltage. Walmart sells these meters for $15 or so.
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

I'd bet on a bad safety switch on one of the brake levers or the kickstand. If it has a kickstand switch, they're notorious for failure.

Good luck!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scooter wont turn on

Post by jrsjr »

dethsite wrote:i have a "new scooter" that i bought keep in mind im a complete noob to the scooter world. i also bought a new battery hooked it up made sure it was completely charged and all and when i turn the key the dash lights don't come on i push the electric start and nothing not even a sound and i made sure i turned off the kill switch. i try to kick start it and it sounds like it wants to start but it quickly cuts off and the headlights flicker , plz help!!!!
That's you clue that it's not a safety switch. A safety switch should not completely prevent the electrical system from energizing. You have a more basic problem like a blown or missing main fuse.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, on the Buddy 50/125/150, dash lights (ok, backlights) don't come on either, until the engine is running.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!