I have joined Club Blur!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

I have joined Club Blur!

Post by BuddyRaton »

Hello fellow Blurites!...I am now one of you!

I entered what I thought was a fairly modest bid on an ebay auction topic26327.html and won!

I went over to pick it up Monday and got back home Tuesday. I stopped in Okeechobee on my way home walked into the property tax office and walked out 10 mins later with a tag. That's why I stop in Okeechobee...it would take at least 3 hours here.

I checked tires and fluids took it out Tues afternoon and honestly I was pretty disappointed.

Hesitation at takeoff..topping out at 57 indicated 8k rpm....my Buddy 125 kitted to 161 could smoke it.

The previous owner had some work done...not sure why but new kevlar belt, new "carbon fiber" rollers, rear tire Mich pilot.

I will admit that as far as scooters go I'm more familiar with carbs than FI.

I thought that maybe the ECU needed to be reset...did some research and found out how to reset the "ISC"

So I disconected the battery positive for about 5 mins, hooked it back up then held the throttle wide open, turned the key to on...heard the "whir"...released the throttle and turned the key off. Then I figured out how to reset the clock.

After that I took it out around the "neighborhood"

What a Freaking Kick Ass Scooter!

Took off like a rabbit being chased by Allie the Wonder Beagle! I didn't have a lot of road but I got it up to 82 indicated and still had throttle left..not enough time to check the tach but I didn't hit the limiter.

Now I'm a happy DUDE!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

That is a pretty amazing story. I may just try what you said on mine as I have never seem >70mph. Kind of strange an ECU reset would give you 25MPH on the top end. Enjoy.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

OK, you MUST post pics (or send one to me :)).

I was still working with the seller to officially cancel my phantom transaction.

BR may be a lot lighter, and since he's near sea level, you might get a little more speed out of it!

Since you didn't pay $500 to ship it (like I would have had to) then you got an amazing deal!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I don't know if he is - or not- I weigh 175lbs...
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

chickdr wrote:That is a pretty amazing story. I may just try what you said on mine as I have never seem >70mph. Kind of strange an ECU reset would give you 25MPH on the top end. Enjoy.
I've hit 72 indicated on the flats and after stopping and pulling my GPS out of my pocket it read 67. I'm OK with that but I'll probably do the ECU reset anyway (after I resolve my starting problem) just out of curiousity. Thanks for your input and welcome aboard.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm hitting 170lbs now. I'm back to topping out at 57. Checked with GPS and it is actually accurate. The local dealer has the diagnostic tool so I'll stop in there.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

BuddyRaton wrote:I'm hitting 170lbs now. I'm back to topping out at 57. Checked with GPS and it is actually accurate. The local dealer has the diagnostic tool so I'll stop in there.
My weight too so maybe topping out at a GPS indicated 67 isn't all that bad. I do have the Genuine Blur OEM windshield installed but I can't imagine that it's giving me much more than a 2 mph improvement. So, with your 57 mph experience vs. my 67mph maybe my scoot's PO has already tweaked the ECU. With that in mind, I think I'll leave it alone.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

What bugs me is we pretty much see 67 as the indicated top speed and the Genuine web site says "70+" top speed. Check that - I just looked again and now it miraculously says 60+ MPH top speed...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yes, they should have said 'indicated".

Most of the proper 250cc bikes (Kymco People, Helix, and a Honda 250 motorcycle) I have ridden top out @70mph, so 220ish an actual 65 sounds about right.
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

Im 150lb and after 80 on my speedo I backed off. It had more to go. 60 degrees here in Denver and Im suiting up right now.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

HA! Kenny, good on you. Tomorrow is supposed to be warm too.

If you're brave you should go up Lookout Mountain with us on the 1st! It's usually chilly but the company is good.

Tons of Denver peeps on the MV and MB boards!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

skully93 wrote:Yes, they should have said 'indicated".

Most of the proper 250cc bikes (Kymco People, Helix, and a Honda 250 motorcycle) I have ridden top out @70mph, so 220ish an actual 65 sounds about right.
I had a Vespa GT 200 previously and it would do 75mph with only 200cc. Of course that was a liquid cooled 4 valve motor with 21hp...

The Honda CBR 250 does close to 100mph top end.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

A few photos...finally!

www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So I finally decided to go through this scooter a bit and see what was going on. The guy I bought it from gave me a receipt showing that the belt and rollers had been replaced, the valves adjusted and a new rear tire.

I've been trying to figure out the lack of power so I started with the easy stuff. The air filter looked OK

Next I checked the fan filter and that was OK so I opened up the CVT cover. First off one of the case bolts was missing...not a big deal but I know someone was in there. Also one of the case threads was stripped, again not a big deal as there is no real "seal" on the cover. I'll teflon tape the bolt and if that doesn't work retap the case.

I opened the case and it's a freaking mess in there!

Here are the only numbers I found on the belt.

Now this belt should only have about 300 miles on it...I don't think so.

There is also a ton of dust in there. I mean come on...if you're replacing this stuff clean things up as long as you're in there!

I also noticed signs of the belt slipping on the variator and clutch plates.

So I ordered an OEM belt (damn they're pricey!) and I have a set of OEM rollers.

Seems like the guy that sold it to me got burned. I figure I should check the valve adjustment too!
www.teamscootertrash.com

skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

chickdr wrote:What bugs me is we pretty much see 67 as the indicated top speed and the Genuine web site says "70+" top speed. Check that - I just looked again and now it miraculously says 60+ MPH top speed...
If you go by just the speedometer indication, "70+ MPH top speed" is in the right ball park as when my GPS registered 67 MPH, my Blur's speedo was at 73.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

skipper20 wrote:
chickdr wrote:What bugs me is we pretty much see 67 as the indicated top speed and the Genuine web site says "70+" top speed. Check that - I just looked again and now it miraculously says 60+ MPH top speed...
If you go by just the speedometer indication, "70+ MPH top speed" is in the right ball park as when my GPS registered 67 MPH, my Blur's speedo was at 73.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Except on mine the highest I ever see ON THE SPEEDO is 68MPH.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Time for an update! My OEM belt came in so I went to work today. I pulled off the clutch and the variator. The clutch bell didn't look too bad. I cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and some 600 grit sandpaper. I also cleaned up the plate faces which had some belt rubber stuck to them. I also blew out the old grease and repacked the bearings. That's really all I did there.

The variator and belt were a different story. When I bought it the guy selling gave me the receipt showing that a valve adjustment had been done, new belt and new rollers.

Everything in there was filthy.

The rollers looked original and had flat spots..not new "carbon fiber" rollers. The plates also has rubber garf stuck to them so I cleaned them off with contact cleaner and 600 grit paper. Everything was really dirty behind there so I cleaned all that up too.

Pretty dirty in there. These rollers are not "carbon fiber" and look like they have a lot more than 300 miles on them.

Obligatory out of focus photo showing flat spot
Grease Monkey gloves courtesy of Mom for Christmas

On to the belt. The belt that was in there was shorter than the OEM. In the photo the old belt is on the bottom and the new OEM is on top.

So I cleaned everything up, installed the new rollers, they weighed in at 15 grams. Buttoned it up and went for a ride. Much better and smoother acceleration than before and even though it took awhile to get there I hit a top speed (GPS) of 65 mph.

I'm still maxing out at 7K RPM, not hitting the rev limiter but I'm really happy with this scooter now! It's riding like I think a Blur 220i should...like a Buddy on steroids!
www.teamscootertrash.com

viney266

Post by viney266 »

check out scoot corps on FB. He has a blur and figured out a good set-up for the variotor I believe.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I guess the MB Blocker is on vacation! :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

BuddyRaton wrote:I guess the MB Blocker is on vacation! :mrgreen:
Ugh, it's too earlyyy :lol:
ModBud #442