Hidden Kill Switch

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

clayjo

Hidden Kill Switch

Post by clayjo »

Has anybody installed a hidden kill switch for the entire bike for extra measure?
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

not sure how that would affect the electrical system...the wiring harness of the original Piaggios/Vespas (P series) was altered and made more complicated with the addition of safety devices to meet DOT standards for importation to the U.S. (continued on as the Genuine Stella after the Vespa P Series was cancelled); I had several electrical gremlins on the Stella 2T I used to own...several pinched wires in the steering neck, the ignition coil grounded out on the body near the back of the cowl, and my dealer had to bypass my kill switch to keep from blowing the main fuse near the battery (3 fuses in 2 weeks); IMHO...a second kill switch would be another problem waiting to happen :(
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It would be easy to install one in the glove box. To me it would not be worth the effort.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

It would probably be easier to just pull the spark plug wire out for extra security unless you were *really* going to hide the extra kill switch.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

alternate 'security' suggestions...

a) use a lock thru one of the holes in the brake rotor, either a dedicated disc lock (if one will fit) or a small/medium sized padlock (I did a steel laminated Master brand lock); I'm gonna be doing this on my motorcycle since I use a dedicated disc lock on the scooter...eventually I'll get another disc lock for the motorcycle;

b) a coworker of mine actually drilled a small hole thru his rear brake lever and secured a padlock thru it below the body while compressing the brake pedal (basically locked the rear brake in the engaged position)

c) there is something called a Grip Lock that keeps the front brake lever pulled back which locks it with the front brake in the engaged position)

d) if you have the option to use a security cable or chain...run the cable/chain thru the space between the wheel and front shock and then secure it to whatever you want (tree, fence post, sign post, etc); I did this at home when I had it parked/stored

personally, I wouldn't want to mess with an already complicated wiring harness; I would suggest a lockable kill switch at the battery, but since most Stella's can be kickstarted, that isn't prudent...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

Thanks for the suggestions!!