Holy Heck I Bought a Burgman (NBR)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BeefSupreme

Holy Heck I Bought a Burgman (NBR)

Post by BeefSupreme »

Last year when I started working from home I sold my car. My only means of transportation (other than my GF's CRV) has been my 2012 Kymco Like 200i. I've been wanting something a little more interstate capable so I can take trips up to Birmingham and visits to my parents across mobile bay didn't force me to redline the Like the whole time. SO... after a few weeks of careful investigating I pulled the trigger and got a 2012 Burgman 400ABS with 0 miles from a local powersports place. All in all I paid $6,200 out the door. CRAZY DEAL. I told my local shop who had a 2013 to see if they could try to come close and they just laughed and said that price would get jack up once I walked in the door... it didn't. Anywho, I ended up selling my Like to my dad for a crazy good deal. Ideally I wanted to keep both, the Like for around town and the Burgman for longer trips... but saving on insurance, garage space, and the larger down payment won. Plus now I can invite my dad or nephew to come ride with the GF and myself, she has a Buddy 125. This is the only 0 mile, brand new vehicle i've ever owned... it's really freaking nice, almost too nice.

Anywho, meet Bacon Cheese Burgman! (working title)

Syd

Post by Syd »

Congratulations! A work friend put 70,000 miles on his 400, so it should last you a good long while.

On another forum someone called the Burgman 400 flickable. You'll have to let us know how accurate that is. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Syd wrote:On another forum someone called the Burgman 400 flickable. You'll have to let us know how accurate that is. :)
Surprisingly.... it is. Although it doesn't look like it, the center of gravity is really low so it leans into fast and slow speed turns pretty quickly. True the longer wheel base takes a little bit away but when you consider the 3.7gallon gas tank engine and everything with weight sits about on the same plane as your feet it gives a really good pivot/feel when counter steering. That plus the low seat height keeps it from feeling like it weights 450+lbs when you're stopped. It does take a good heave ho to get it on and off the center stand though. I was pretty worried when I first hopped on that it would feel like a tank hauling pregnant elephant, within 30 feet that fear was gone.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Beautiful bike, great deal, congratulations. Keep us updated.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey, congrats! I ride a Honda Silverwing and I am waaaaay jealous. The 400 Burger is the sweet spot in the history of maxiscoots. The fact that it has ABS makes it irresistable. Plus, you're quite right that it will make Interstate travel a whole lot easier. Now you need serious rain gear. :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The Burgie is on my wish list!! You got a great deal on a fine looking ride.
If I ever spring for one I will put a TowPac trike kit on it. But that is a ways in the future. Enjoy your ride!! :clap:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

:clap:
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

jrsjr wrote:Hey, congrats! I ride a Honda Silverwing and I am waaaaay jealous. The 400 Burger is the sweet spot in the history of maxiscoots. The fact that it has ABS makes it irresistable. Plus, you''re quite right that it will make Interstate travel a whole lot easier. Now you need serious rain gear. :wink:
I agree, the 400 still has a very "scooterish" feel to it, jump up to the 650 then you add another 100+lbs, the CVT is a completely different beast and the engine becomes a v-twin, that's just an automatic motorcycle. I like the fact that the engine components are recognizable coming from a gy6, it's still a 400cc single cylinder that gives a really nice "THUMP" to the exhaust note. That plus LONG service intervals, 3.5k oil changes and no need to even check the valves till 14.5k. First services is JUST an oil change.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

good score!

add a top case you should be able to carry a week's provisions :P.
Syd

Post by Syd »

skully93 wrote:good score!

Burgmans don't need topboxes. They have so much storage room you can sleep inside one!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You don't know how much 'stuff' I carry with me!!! The sidecar stays full as does the large box on the Delivery. :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BeefSupreme wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Hey, congrats! I ride a Honda Silverwing and I am waaaaay jealous. The 400 Burger is the sweet spot in the history of maxiscoots. The fact that it has ABS makes it irresistable. Plus, you''re quite right that it will make Interstate travel a whole lot easier. Now you need serious rain gear. :wink:
I agree, the 400 still has a very "scooterish" feel to it, jump up to the 650 then you add another 100+lbs, the CVT is a completely different beast and the engine becomes a v-twin, that's just an automatic motorcycle. I like the fact that the engine components are recognizable coming from a gy6, it's still a 400cc single cylinder that gives a really nice "THUMP" to the exhaust note. That plus LONG service intervals, 3.5k oil changes and no need to even check the valves till 14.5k. First services is JUST an oil change.
Sooooooo jealous. Must. Restrain. Checkbook of doom (for my bank acct)... :twisted:
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Congrats! I have the same exact scooter, both year and color. It's a great bike.

Now that you have a Burgman, you should check out the forum at BurgmanUSA.com. Similar feel as here at ModernBuddy.

It's my main vehicle for commuting, and it handles both highway and urban traffic with ease. Not as nimble as a Buddy in town, but having the flexibility to pop onto the interstate is a big plus. And of course the cavernous trunk, that combined with a top box, will allow you to lug home groceries for a week.

I would recommend dropping some Dr Pulley sliders in the CVT. Makes a big difference. Much quicker off the line, and your revs on the highway will drop as well. Makes for more relaxed cruising.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Syd wrote:
skully93 wrote:good score!

Burgmans don't need topboxes. They have so much storage room you can sleep inside one!
I fit a footlong meatball sub in the glove compartment, I think it was designed for them.
Don in Pa

Post by Don in Pa »

Congrats, I have the same year & color as yours. The only thing I don't like about it the Roadstar and the two Buddy's never get ridden now. I even took it to Daytonna Bike Week and the Harley buddies laughed at me everyday at howthey could not leave me behind. It will run 90mph(indicated) all day long.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Don in Pa wrote:Congrats, I have the same year & color as yours. The only thing I don't like about it the Roadstar and the two Buddy's never get ridden now. I even took it to Daytonna Bike Week and the Harley buddies laughed at me everyday at howthey could not leave me behind. It will run 90mph(indicated) all day long.
and THAT's why I bought it, for weekend trips up to Birmingham and to some Florida beaches. I'm a little over my books breaking period, 350 miles on the odo. Hopefully by next weekend she'll be interstate worthy. Burgman USA folks seem to agree, keep it under 60mph till 600 mile first service oil change and every 100 miles after that start climbing your max speed 10 mph till you get to 1000... another oil change then forget about it. Any other suggestions?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

BeefSupreme wrote:keep it under 60mph till 600 mile first service oil change and every 100 miles after that start climbing your max speed 10 mph till you get to 1000...
Holy Crap! A Brugman that goes 1000mph. Where can I get one? :shock:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

gr8dog wrote:
BeefSupreme wrote:keep it under 60mph till 600 mile first service oil change and every 100 miles after that start climbing your max speed 10 mph till you get to 1000...
I went that fast on my Silverwing once. Next day my tire did this. :roll:
Attachments
Bye Bye Bridgestone, Bye Bye...
Bye Bye Bridgestone, Bye Bye...
Cannonball2008TireBlister2.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

gr8dog wrote:
You have to go to THE FUTURE

But really, I meant 1000 miles, no MPH
RexM

Me too

Post by RexM »

Well now I've gone and done it too, except I picked up a 2008 offa Craigslist. Moving soon, doubling my commute, requiring freeway, so the 125 won't cut it anymore. No ABS but that's life.

Loved it on the ride home, have no doubt it will be a solid commuter for a few years. I was looking at other bikes and cars too, but given the ways in which comparably priced bikes were lacking (storage being the main one), nothing else matched in practicality. This thread helped too :)
Attachments
Burg.jpg
Burg.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm really curious if anybody has had any experience with the Burgman 200. Anybody?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:I'm really curious if anybody has had any experience with the Burgman 200. Anybody?
I'm also a bit curious. The specs of the baby Burgie line right up with the (now defunct and only a 2V) Kymco Yager GT200 and the SYM RV200 Evo. It looks to be more nicely trimmed out, which helps in justifying the $5K price tag ( Yagers were $3400 and the RV200 will set you back about $3700).

The pain point is going to be riding into a wind. The 200cc (give or take) bikes have just enough zip to hit the highway, but a head wind affects them like a boat anchor would. Doing the Ruck-Tuck does little to counter the effect. As much as I like my Yager, I was hating life riding back from Yuma last month into a 25-30mph head wind. I could hit 74mph flat-out with no prevailing wind, but I was held to 48-51mph on the ride back.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:The pain point is going to be riding into a wind. The 200cc (give or take) bikes have just enough zip to hit the highway, but a head wind affects them like a boat anchor would. Doing the Ruck-Tuck does little to counter the effect. As much as I like my Yager, I was hating life riding back from Yuma last month into a 25-30mph head wind. I could hit 74mph flat-out with no prevailing wind, but I was held to 48-51mph on the ride back.
Good point. That totally agrees with the experience I had with my Vespa GT200L. 15 HP at the rear wheel = not enough to fight a headwind or a hill. A headwind combined with a hill was not good at all. The only thing worse was a fierce headwind, 8000 feet of altitude, and a steep grade heading up the Continental Divide. That pretty much did my poor little GT in. I was making a little over 20mph at that point with the throttle wide open. Good time for a bigger bike. :wink:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Oof, that doesn't sound like much of a party! CV carbs are bad enough at altitude without the other factors. My Riva 180 is a slug at altitudes above 7000ft; I almost lost an uphill race against a stock Ruckus because of that damn carburetor.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:Oof, that doesn't sound like much of a party! CV carbs are bad enough at altitude without the other factors. My Riva 180 is a slug at altitudes above 7000ft; I almost lost an uphill race against a stock Ruckus because of that damn carburetor.
Would you believe me if I told you that near the top I was thinking about paddling with my feet? IIRC we were running into the remnants of Tropical Storm Javier (sp?) and we were travelling east to west so we were literally running right into it blowing over the top of the Rockies. It was quite an eye opening experience.