Looking for help getting a 2004 2T running

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phaedrus

Looking for help getting a 2004 2T running

Post by phaedrus »

Hi All,
New owner of a silver 2004 Stella and having some issues. :(

I' had put maybe 7 miles on it over 3 rides and it had started up fine each time. On Friday though after starting it up she died about 90 seconds into warmup and I could not get her to start again. I pulled the plug and it was extremely black, put a new one in and she started right up for me and I rode around the neighborhood for a good 20 minutes without issue.

Unfortunately the following morning, the same thing happened! Died during warmup and plug looks to be extremely black again.

After searching through the forums I decided to inspect/clean the carb, but I cannot for the life of me get the darn airbox cover off. Is there a trick to this that I should know about? It seems like there's not enough room to leverage it out of there.

Also there appears to be a significant leak of oil all over the rear of the engine, the cover to the airbox was quite oily as well and the rubber seal between the cover and airbox has definitely seen better days.

Am I on the right track in inspection the carb, anything else I look into? The plate on the scoot expired in 2011, so I don't believe it has been ridden in some time. Mileage= 3300

Many thanks!
Attachments
unnamed-10.jpg
unnamed-10.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 857 times
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

This should help you with getting it off.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyEau3pN5wk

As far as all the oil all over the engine, Does your scoot poke blue smoke when you start it up ?
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

Sounds possibly like a jetting/mixture issue. Also, are you leaving the choke on for an extended period of time after you get it started? Remember to push the choke in as soon as the bike fires up.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

And always turn the tap to the off position before you shut down. I have a leaking one on my rally, and because of this, I must be super careful with the choke and accelerator (i.e. don't touch them) because it will flood in an instant. I run the fuel in the carb down by shutting the tap off a minute before I shut the scoot off too. Unless I do that, the same thing happens, wet plug, hard start.

I did get a new tap, just waiting to install it. Come on Spring weather!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

good call, Rippinyarn.. Ive finally made the habit stick of reaching down and turning off the fuel tap moments before killing the motor everytime!
an ounce of prevention..as they say
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Thanks for the replies fellas. I put a new plug in the stella today and she started up first kick w/o choke.
Steady Teddy wrote:Sounds possibly like a jetting/mixture issue. Also, are you leaving the choke on for an extended period of time after you get it started? Remember to push the choke in as soon as the bike fires up.
Teddy I believe that was indeed part of my issue as I was letting it warm with the choke on for some time when it died last. Lesson learned :)

I've still embarrassingly been unable to remove the air box cover though. I've even tried jacking up the frame to get a little more clearance but still no luck.

I'm attaching pictures with a clearance measurement for reference. Would be super rad if somebody could confirm or deny a possible clearance issue with their own measurement?
Attachments
2-2.jpg
2-2.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 813 times
1-2.jpg
1-2.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 813 times
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

If it's a stock setup (and it looks like it is), then it's a tight fit, but it does come off.

First remove the 2 attachment bolts. Then break loose the cover's rubber gasket all around which may be sticking and then lift up the cover's outer edge so the cover's on an angle tilting in toward the seat.

Then lift up the cover keeping an angle so it clears the adjustment screw and you can then level it out and withdraw it straight out.

Also, the front bolt is a pain, but I got a Phillips bit from an electric screwdriver and made a tool to make it easier. I hope this helps......
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

fisher1 wrote: Also, the front bolt is a pain, but I got a Phillips bit from an electric screwdriver and made a tool to make it easier. I hope this helps......
An offset screwdriver can come in handy too.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL