If a sports car is the mid life crisis, what is the scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CityGal

If a sports car is the mid life crisis, what is the scooter?

Post by CityGal »

I have never ridden a scooter before. EVER. I bought a Buddy 125 today as a birthday present to myself, in celebration of my last year in my 30's. Contrary to what some people around me believe, this is NOT a mini-midlife crisis. But the more I read posts in Modern Buddy, the more I realize that many of us have purchased our scooters at monumental times in our lives, whether good or bad. So...my question to all of you is this: if a sports car is the mid life crisis, what is the scooter?
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

90 miles to the gallon. R
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

Welcome from the PNW [via GA]

The realization that you only go around once in this life and you might as well have a little [more] fun before you can't, anymore.

BTW: I got my first scooter in my late 40's.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

I called my scooter purchase my mid-midlife crisis. Everything in my life (family, finances, work, ect.) were pretty settled and without any major foreseeable changes it was time to treat myself. It's a great tool to break up the mundane and add extra excitement...but my Buddy has been a gateway drug to other purchases and hobbies.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I bought mine at the point when I ended several years of un/under-employment and was working full-time at a decent wage again. I'd been commuting to part-time jobs mostly by bicycle and bus, but that wasn't going to work for the new job, and I didn't want to go back to driving a car every day. And I finally had $2500 I could spend on something I just wanted. I was 44, so I can't deny that "mid-life" was a factor, but it was less about doing something crazy to feel young again, and more about trying to put years of crisis into a couple of little rear-view mirrors.
Tom_M

Post by Tom_M »

Mine was a mid-life revelation Unfortunately I'll only live to 70 because I bought it at 35!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

basic transportation

fun

best way of getting around your locality
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'll admit mine was. I bought it just as I was turning 49, I was 'empty nesting' as well.... :?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My first scoot was bought as a mid life event 8 years ago.
Well, maybe a late mid life event. I am now 78!! :lol:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I bought mine at 30. It had nothing to do with being 30. It was mainly for 2 reasons. I was working with a guy who had a couple scooters and he let me try both of them out (I had never even sat on a PTW before). After that I was considering buying one of my own. Then I went to Europe for a couple weeks. I felt more at home there than I have anywhere else I've been. I figured when I got back, if moving to Europe was out of the question, I can at least do something to feel more "at home". Bought my Aprilia a month after that.
skipper20

Re: If a sports car is the mid life crisis, what is the scoo

Post by skipper20 »

CityGal wrote:I have never ridden a scooter before. EVER. I bought a Buddy 125 today as a birthday present to myself, in celebration of my last year in my 30's. Contrary to what some people around me believe, this is NOT a mini-midlife crisis. But the more I read posts in Modern Buddy, the more I realize that many of us have purchased our scooters at monumental times in our lives, whether good or bad. So...my question to all of you is this: if a sports car is the mid life crisis, what is the scooter?
For me, it was a maxi-life crisis. I had made it through the sports car phase ('71 MGB) in my mid-life 50s, bought my first scooter, a brand new '07 Yamaha Vino 125, at age 73. The MGB & the Vino 125 are history but I'm still going strong at age 80. My current inventory as follows:

Bill in Seattle
'87 Honda CH150 Elite
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250 ie Sport City
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Bill, you got me by two years. How do you like that Blur? Been thinking about getting a bigger scoot for the hack one of these days. Have a Piaggio BV350 in mind. :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:Have a Piaggio BV350 in mind. :wink:
If you have in mind some extended touring, then the BV350 is a fine answer in my experience.
Witch

Post by Witch »

If it's considered a mid-life purchase, then I'm screwed. :shock:

My first scooter was my very first vehicle, and I bought it when I was 19.

Maybe it's because of the age I first got one, but my scooters have always represented freedom.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

For me it wasn't a midlife crisis more of a hipster thing so I'm told. No one else I knew was doing it so I did. I don't even know when your suppose to have that "mid life crisis" thing anyway but I'm sure I'll get it. I'm only 37 and STILL do and like the stuff I did in high school. I wear the same type of shoes and my style of dress has changed very little since the early 90's.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Witch wrote:If it's considered a mid-life purchase, then I'm screwed. My first scooter was my very first vehicle, and I bought it when I was 19. Maybe it's because of the age I first got one, but my scooters have always represented freedom.
I owned my first scooter at 15. I agree that they spell a wonderful sense of freedom - at any age. And that is saying something as I'm now pushing 70. :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, Dooglas. I live at the start of the Smoky mountains and the hills do slow down the r9 rig. I figure the BV350 would have enough power for touring the mountain roads with my Cozy hack. Ran the TGB tow today, just got it back from Vespa Marietta, had a new rear tire and hack tire put on it as well as a reset of the tow in/out and the lean factor. Surprised me as it is tracking true with just a whisper of wobble. Ran it today for a while and it does slow down to 45 on the hills but on the flats runs 50-55. :wink:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I once referred to my scoot as my midlife crisis in a Fark thread...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Bought my first scoot at 35 :P.

So maybe it's a 'practical' realization in life that is also a total blast.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Yes, I too love the sense of freedom. Its the next best thing to riding a bicycle off street. I fear the cage!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

My mid life crisis was in 05...having struggled through catastrophic injury/rehab/re-training and pimping myself to any company to gain experience, I finally landed in a secure career position. But I sacrificed to much along the way..I used to LIVE! CAMP, FIGHT(WWW.SCA.ORG and was pretty damn good too), travel, flirt, college, etc...it had gotten into a routine that was agonizingly numbing, I felt like the vacuum cleaner-taken out for a job then put away and ignored till needed for the next job...then I saved my shadow ace from the boneyard, learned to ride more to prove something of the old jerry still existed...I sold it after my neighbor hit me and I spent nine months in hospital.
At 50 I celebrated in Vegas and had a horrid time being alone...but it always bugged me selling the bike, like I was once again being forced to give up one of the few pleasures I have...
So my dad pushed me off the fence to get the Stella when I seen it as an end of model year sale (8 mile on the clock).
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have always had a scooter since I was 18-so I guess a scooter IS life.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Wolfhound wrote:Bill, you got me by two years. How do you like that Blur? Been thinking about getting a bigger scoot for the hack one of these days. Have a Piaggio BV350 in mind. :wink:
Except for the small fuel tank and the not so comfy seat, I like the Blur. It's definitely a sports car scooter and not a touring scooter. However, with the BV350, you'd have both. Go for it!

Bill in Seattle :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate the feed back. In a couple of years I think I will go with the BV350 and put the side car on it. It will be my 80th birthday gift to myself!! As for sporty I really like my Buffy 170i. The small wheels don't present a problem and it gets off the mark in a hurry. Like the way it handles. :wink:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

skully93 wrote:Bought my first scoot at 35 :P.

So maybe it's a 'practical' realization in life that is also a total blast.
Skully nearly echoes my perception.

My scooter purchase was in my 40's but I rode motorcycles in my younger days. The scooter is a decision that comes with age and wisdom, Grasshopper.
It just ends up being something so enjoyable that the 'youthful exuberance' it engenders sort of qualifies it as a mid-life toy. Toys don't have to spawn from crisis. 8)
My crisis has nearly 40,000 (s)miles on it. My jaw sometimes aches from the excessive smileage. :D
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

In Oklahoma I am surrounded by men buying up all sorts of things that are easily explained by the pursuit of manly compensation: huge belt buckles, large cowboy hats (big hat, no cattle), oversized "luxury pick ups" to commute from the suburbs to the office in the city, big guns and big bullets, etc.

There are lots of good reasons listed in this thread: great gas milage, fun, sense of freedom, basic transportation, etc. I have the scooter for all of those, and that I started riding a motorcycle when I was 22 years old.

In addition, I value the scooter being another way that I can demonstrate that I am not so insecure that I have to chase manly compensation. I am not "from here", and I am not "one of them".

FYI - If anyone wants to trade potent pink body panels for my black panels, then I will take them up on the offer.

Edit: fixed a typo
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I lived in OK City in 1982-84 and I understand what you are saying. I worked as a dog show Superintendent for Onofio Dog Shows. My dad wad getting up in years and lived in NC so we came back to GA sa as to be closer to him. My classic joke was that the prettiest sight in the world was the OK state line sign in the rear view mirror. Actually I was on the road at shows most of the time and most of the people I knew were good working
class folks. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

DanielPerrin wrote:In addition, I value the scooter being another way that I can demonstrate that I am not so insecure that I have to chase manly compensation. I am not "from here", and I am not "one of them".
I used to explain to people that I drove a Ford Festiva (1.3L engine, 40mpg using 1990 tech) to compensate for my... attributes. :D
CityGal

Post by CityGal »

Thanks, everyone! I love these answers. I can't wait to start riding! I had to order it, and it won't be here for 7-10 days. In the meantime, I'm studying for my motorcycle permit & I've already signed up for the MSF course at the end of April. Got all my protective gear, too. When it gets here, I'll be as ready!
I thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

CityGal wrote:Thanks, everyone! I love these answers. I can't wait to start riding! I had to order it, and it won't be here for 7-10 days. In the meantime, I'm studying for my motorcycle permit & I've already signed up for the MSF course at the end of April. Got all my protective gear, too. When it gets here, I'll be as ready!
Good on ya! I know it's a taboo on this site and others to type about to wear gear or not but I'm glad you already got some.....
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Two reasons: Although my first scooter was at age 37, I'm not sure if it is a mid-life crisis. Then again, I have always been doing things beyond my age range.

1. The realization that life is fragile. No matter how careful you are, there is no guarantee today won't be your last healthy day. I have seen friends paralyzed from a fall down the stairs, and another be killed crossing the street.

2. A rebellion against my mother who was over protective.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

There are days that I am not sure that the scooter IS a mid life crisis!! :wink: :wink:
Boneyard

Post by Boneyard »

At 62 the Doctors said maybe I have 2 years left. Still here at 64? I bought the 170 for myself. I use a little oxygen but a small tank fits fine under the seat.
Just got it back from its check up and on the road again.
Enjoying ever moment.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

And that, sir, is exactly the way to live. Live your life and enjoy every minute of it. Congratulations!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Wolfhound wrote:There are days that I am not sure that the scooter IS a mid life crisis!! :wink: :wink:
And accessories! R
theflash784

Mid life crisis

Post by theflash784 »

My mother claims my purchase of a Buddy 125 three years ago is my second childhood. I did have a little Yamaha 80 when I was 19 years old so i guess that could be the case- although I can't remember leaving my first childhood.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I'm not sure if it's a "mid life crisis". More of an "awakening" for me at 52.

When I was 30 I had a Honda Shadow 500 motorcycle that I rode throughout the back roads of central Kentucky. I rode alone, no instruction or awareness whatsoever. Looking back I was "riding" through bereavement over the death of my mom that year and that was about it, really. It's a wonder I didn't get killed, but I sure had fun trying!

One day I just quit and sold it, but for YEARS I yearned to ride again, then got too distracted by life and ignorance to pursue it again.

Flash forward 20+ years and I lived way out in the country and my 78 year old neighbor was tooling around the neighborhood on an ATV. She said to me one day, "Well, I gotta get home and take my evening ride. It's what I look forward to the most. It's my freedom!"

That did it! I wanted to do that too, so I headed to a local Honda dealership to look at ATVs. I came out the door with a Honda Ruckus scooter that then changed my life in a bazillion ways!

I rode that scooter all over the county and on the back trails and never looked back. That was 7 years ago.

I can't imagine my life without a scooter...

:D
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
sherides

Post by sherides »

I don't know about crisis, but I got mine at 55. Since i aspire to be a centenarian, a definite midlife purchase. Had recently left a job of 34 years to go freelance and was feeling pretty perky. Guy I was dating had recently bought a Vespa, and the practicality of riding a scooter around town appealed to me. Not to mention, the appeal of riding with HIM. Swore I would never venture out of midtown on two wheels. Six years later, the guy is history and the Buddy remains. Every year I put more years on it than the last. With retirement on the horizon, I see many more adventures in the future. And possibly a second scooter... Would that be a 3/4-life crisis?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I guess I would call it a mid life coming to my senses. At 45 I bought the 2008 Buddy 125 new, it now has over 10,000 miles on the odo. At age 47 I bought a 2009 Yamaha Tmax with 8000 miles on it. I traded the Tmax in last September (at age 50) with over 28,000 miles on the odo, still have the Buddy. I purchased a new Suzuki Vstrom 650 at that time. I haven't ridden anything since well before last Thanksgiving. The itch to ride is so bad it is painful. This has been the longest winter EVER.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

TVB wrote:
DanielPerrin wrote:In addition, I value the scooter being another way that I can demonstrate that I am not so insecure that I have to chase manly compensation. I am not "from here", and I am not "one of them".
I used to explain to people that I drove a Ford Festiva (1.3L engine, 40mpg using 1990 tech) to compensate for my... attributes. :D
Favorite smart car bumper sticker: "Why yes, I AM compensating for something."
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

coming out of the closet
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

DaBinChe wrote:coming out of the closet
Now THERE'S freedom! Congrats! :D
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I used up my midlife crisis on a scooter. Then another. Then another. Then…

I guess it's an ongoing thing. Ask my wife.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CTB170i

Post by CTB170i »

I purchased mine 2 months before my 50th Birthday... I didn't by it cause I was looking to feel young or free (mid-life crisis), I purchased it for the 92 mile per gallon...

Looking at the ever increasing cost of gas, and owning a sports car that gets 16 miles to gallon, I need to save more $$$ for my retirement...

I guess, looking at my retirement and making a change to save more, might be a mid-life crisis...

Either way, I having the time of my life on my Buddy 170i...!

The real issue... how do I stop myself from buying a motorcycle....
Newbie Scooterist
Buddy 170i
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

I bought my roughhouse at 20
Its my first vehicle and I plan to drive two wheels as long as I'm able to do so.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Part of the midlife crisis, I think, is that the sufferer has reached a point that owning "that car" or the scoot is financially possible. That was part of it for me, anyway. If my only choice in scoots had been a Vespa I never would have bought one. Not because I couldn't afford it but because I'm cheap. So I found a cheap scoot, decided I would like to travel on two wheels, and it has been downhill ever since!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

CTB170i wrote:....

The real issue... how do I stop myself from buying a motorcycle....
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!
TVB

Post by TVB »

gr8dog wrote:
CTB170i wrote:The real issue... how do I stop myself from buying a motorcycle....
I dunno... I'm not even tempted, myself.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

TVB wrote:
gr8dog wrote:
CTB170i wrote:The real issue... how do I stop myself from buying a motorcycle....
I dunno... I'm not even tempted, myself.
Been there, done that...sort of.
Rode 650# Honda shadow ace 1100 for 6 years before the scooter.
The shodow was twice the mpg's of my truck, the scooter over twice the shadow.

The scooter is more fun, very flick able (cruisers like wide sweepers, ponderous at slow around town speeds, butt\leg numbing on longer treks)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

My Buddy (and my wife's) are a "mid-life crisis for a couple with a lot of tuition to pay off."
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI