Hard Seizure?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rev_83

Hard Seizure?

Post by Rev_83 »

I have a 2006 Stella 2t with 13,000 miles. Yesterday while 10 miles into a 30 mile ride my rear wheel locked briefly, followed by a loud crack, and then the engine shut down. Now the kick start is frozen stiff with no play what so ever. Upon my initial inspection all fuel/oil levels were fine and the bike rolls when in neutral or when the clutch is engaged. I haven't removed the jug yet to see what it looks like. Given this is my first time doing any major maintenance on this bike, can anyone point me in the direction as to where I should start looking for problems. Also, are there any good resources out there that can assist me in evaluating my problems?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like a hard seize but that loud crack sound is concerning, it could be...lots of things. It doesn't take a very big piece of metal
to lock everything up. I would start by pulling the head and jug and go from there. Take photos and keep us updated.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rev_83

Post by Rev_83 »

So I finally mustered enough courage to pull the jug and take a look. It appears that the piston seized and cracked. The bore itself looks to be scratched up pretty good. I am considering installing a Malossi 166cc cylinder kit and changing the carb out to a 26/26E. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I am also going to change my crank. Any suggestions?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To me the choice of kit depends on what you want to get out of it. I like the Malossi 166 for a street racer. The 166 loves high revs...great for a light to light bike but not the best for a touring set up.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rev_83

Post by Rev_83 »

What would you reccomend for a daily rider. My average ride is 10 miles per day. The furthest I ever ride is about 45 miles one way. That only happens once a month or so.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

For a daily rider I would go with a DR 177 kit. Not the fastest but not bad and very reliable.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I love my aluminum pinasco 177cc kit. Plenty of power for the city and great for touring. Also since it is aluminum it sheds heat much better which is great at preventing seizing in hot weather.

Whatever kit you go with make sure to change out your crank with a mazzucchelli. In the unlikely event that the stock one survived your piston seizing it probably wouldn't last long with a kit.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I would stear clear of the DR kit it's a crudely manufactured and prone to seizing.

There is a guy on the uk forum who went through a whole bunch of DR top ends before eventually fitting a pinasco 177 aluminium kit.

The pinasco is a top quality but of kit and the ideal set up for every day use.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Mazz crank 24/24 carb and a set of real reeds. GGR are nice, the rd ones work,too. As to the cylinder? The pinasco aluminum kit is one of the best if you can afford it. However the DR 177 is one of the most stone reliable kits out there. Match the ports and they run VERY well. sorry to hear you broke, but glad to hear you will improve and keep going. You will love a 180 kit and a good crank, faster and more reliable too. Make sure you replace the seals in the engine while you are there, and put in a new cruciform, too. :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?