Speedo cable

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Speedo cable

Post by skully93 »

Is it much of a chore to replace the speedo cable?

Long story short, our local shop has band-aided one they accidentally broke while working on my wife's Buddy.

They have repeatedly tried to make it right, but they're really busy, and since they've goofed it 2x I'm not really inclined to do it a third time.

It's pretty obvious where each end hooks up, but is it difficult to route through the innards?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Not difficult on a Roughhouse, but does require removing the front plastic and the plastic between the grips surrounding the gauge cluster. I assume the Buddy is not too different from this.

Did they damage the outer sheath or the inner rotating flexible portion? If they broke the inner portion and the sheath is in good shape you may be able to slide a new inner piece in with even less work.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

OldGuy wrote:Not difficult on a Roughhouse, but does require removing the front plastic and the plastic between the grips surrounding the gauge cluster. I assume the Buddy is not too different from this.

Did they damage the outer sheath or the inner rotating flexible portion? If they broke the inner portion and the sheath is in good shape you may be able to slide a new inner piece in with even less work.
yay!

Seems like the sheath is intact, though I can't get it to screw onto the brake caliper anymore. Doesn't look damaged, but the inner part is missing.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I assume you unscrewed the lower end, at the wheel, to determine the inner piece is missing. Be aware that the upper end of the inside piece may still be there, stuck in the bottom of the speedometer. If so, you'll have to get it out before the new innards go in. If not, this may be your lucky day!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!