New Blur - Idle Issues

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

roblinx

New Blur - Idle Issues

Post by roblinx »

I have about 100 miles on my Blur 220, so it's still very much in the "breaking in" phase. I'll probably take it in to the dealer to have these issues evaluated, but I thought I'd run it by the Collective here to see if there's any consensus.

Issue One: Clack/Ping/Clink on Cold Idle
When I start it in the morning, it makes this noise for the first minute, then it fades away to a normal idle. Idle RPM is about 1750 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAotYUcBiXU

Issue Two: Rough Idle after Ride
When it's fully warmed up, the idle drops to ~1500 (though the tach swings back and forth a bit). It's uneven/rough, and there's a vibration that seems to be associated with the unevenness. It has stalled a few times during warm idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5qGowCagE

Thank you for your opinions!!
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

UPDATE: The dealership says that this noise is due to "belt slap"; meaning that the CVT belt--being cold and (presumably) stiff--is slapping against the metal casing around the CVT. After a minute, when the belt has warmed up, it is more flexible and makes its transit without hitting the case. Given the location of the noise (definitely on the CVT side, not the engine side), I believe them.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

roblinx wrote:UPDATE: The dealership says that this noise is due to "belt slap"; meaning that the CVT belt--being cold and (presumably) stiff--is slapping against the metal casing around the CVT. After a minute, when the belt has warmed up, it is more flexible and makes its transit without hitting the case. Given the location of the noise (definitely on the CVT side, not the engine side), I believe them.
Mine has never made that noise. I would have them change the belt.

The idle is exactly like mine. I believe this is inherent to the Blur's motor. It's not a smooth running motor at all. My CBR 250cc(which is also a single piston engine) is infinitely smoother.