Semi-Urgent, New Blur, 3 Issues

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sideswiper

Semi-Urgent, New Blur, 3 Issues

Post by sideswiper »

Hi all!
I just bought a brand new 2011 Blur 220i (I know... a few years old but less than 20 miles on it when I pulled it away from the dealer) and have experienced 3 very real issues with it in its first 50 miles, or one afternoon and one morning, of riding. One issue in particular concerns me the most.

1) Within ten minutes of pulling away from the dealer, the Blur stalled at a light. About an hour later it did it again. It started up fine after each stall and I did some research and learned that this is not uncommon...so I figure no big deal here. Note: the second stall was when I turned the handlebars all the way to the left. This will be relevant in bullet 2.

2) This is the big one As I was coming down a not particularly steep hill that was beginning to level off, I made a left. The Blur's engine died halfway through the turn and I went down with the bike. I wasn't hurt (my hand is sore and my neck hurts, but nothing bad). This was a more violent stop than the stalls I experienced in Point 1. Maybe because I was in motion. My first thought was that I ran out of gas as I only had 1 bar left on the gauge, but the Blur started up just fine and got me to a gas station a few miles away safely.
I really really really want to understand what could have happened here. Does the fact that it was a left turn matter? Could gas have shifted in the tank due to the slight slope of the hill?

3) After the fall in Point 2, the key (still in the ignition) was bent, and the black piece surrounding it fell apart. This was particularly frustrating because starting it was difficult, and getting the gas tank open was near impossible.

Overall I am extremely happy with the scooter!!! But these incidents, taken on the whole, have left me a little rattled and I want to make sure I do my due diligence moving forward to ensure that I am as safe as possible on the road in the future.
Thanks for any thoughts or help or ideas as to what could be happening here!
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

It sounds like you just need to reset the throttle body. My Blur would stall out regularly for no reason all the time. Doing the reset helped a lot.

I think the procedure is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect it. Hold the throttle wide open and turn the key to the on position. Wait until you hear the whirring noise then let go of the throttle and turn it back off. Done.

Hope this helps.
sideswiper

Post by sideswiper »

Thank you bBiz, I'm going to take it to the dealer this afternoon and will definitely recommend resetting the throttle body. I could do it myself but I want them to be a part of everything I do in these beginning miles.

Did you ever have any issues while in motion?
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

sideswiper wrote:Thank you bBiz, I'm going to take it to the dealer this afternoon and will definitely recommend resetting the throttle body. I could do it myself but I want them to be a part of everything I do in these beginning miles.

Did you ever have any issues while in motion?
Never when I was on the throttle. Usually while coasting to a stop or while idle at a red light.

But in my case, it didn't completely eliminate the problem. It will still randomly stall out once in a while.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

So sorry - what a bummer of a way to start out with your new ride. At least you weren't seriously injured - still though, ouch!

As to gas level: yes, I think it can be effected by the inclination of the bike when the gauge reads low - on some older scoots I've run across it. I try never to let it drop below three bars for this very reason. Fresh gas (91 octane) is a must. Adding a little Sta-Bil can help, especially if your in a state that has crummy gas (like California!).

bBiz is right on about resetting the Idle Speed Control. It's very simple to do, and it can only help. I'll try and PM you a copy of the repair manual that shows this procedure and some other handy stuff.
Last edited by scootergrind on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
toot

Post by toot »

Exact thing happened to me. Going down serious steep part of Snake part of Mullholand my Blur stalled out too. I was so lucky no one was behind me. I could pull over and restart. It started right up and said to my self " What T F ". I am glad that this is a common thing, but also upset for I could really get in trouble. Been on very long roads since and nothing. If reseting helps please post. I will watch
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

My (new) Blur has stalled a few times as well. Always at idle, though, never with throttle on.

A few data points:

- cold start idle rpm is pretty consistently 1750, and smooth
- engine warm idle rpm wavers around 1500, and is a bit rough
- I get the occasional backfire when I roll off the throttle with the CVT disengaged.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I too have had a random stall or two in 4k miles, but only when I was sitting at a light idling. What you describe is a serious issue. Did your bike get damaged in the fall(other than the key)? I would ask the dealer for a new key GRATIS! If any other damage occurred I would ask for that to be fixed as well. That is not acceptable in any way. Also be on the lookout for a failed cluster. Mine broke within 10 miles. The second one has been fine.
sideswiper

Post by sideswiper »

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses.
I've asked the dealer for the new key and their response was...alright. "We'll contact Genuine and see what we hear back." The key situation is very very weird, I have no idea how the fall could have broken it and bent it...the only thing near the ignition is my knee and I would have felt a hard hit to my knee like that.
The damage to the scooter was VERY minimal, some scuffs on the low portion of the fender, I would have to point it out for it to be found.

Everyone's responses have helped me a lot. I'm now 95% sure this was just a stall, and at the worst possible time (leaning into a turn, downhill so I had momentum and was in motion). Definitely an unfortunate way to begin Blur ownership, but that's life.
It's good (but also not good) to hear that stalls are just a part of life with a Blur, because if the only repeat offenses are the occasional stall at a light, everything should be dandy. It just sucked the way it happened.

Any other prevention techniques are appreciated!! For example, maybe easing off the throttle helps prevent this?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

sideswiper wrote:Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses.
I've asked the dealer for the new key and their response was...alright. "We'll contact Genuine and see what we hear back." The key situation is very very weird, I have no idea how the fall could have broken it and bent it...the only thing near the ignition is my knee and I would have felt a hard hit to my knee like that.
The damage to the scooter was VERY minimal, some scuffs on the low portion of the fender, I would have to point it out for it to be found.

Everyone's responses have helped me a lot. I'm now 95% sure this was just a stall, and at the worst possible time (leaning into a turn, downhill so I had momentum and was in motion). Definitely an unfortunate way to begin Blur ownership, but that's life.
It's good (but also not good) to hear that stalls are just a part of life with a Blur, because if the only repeat offenses are the occasional stall at a light, everything should be dandy. It just sucked the way it happened.

Any other prevention techniques are appreciated!! For example, maybe easing off the throttle helps prevent this?
I would bet it was your knee that bent the key. It is very lightweight and in the moment I am sure you don't remember much other than trying not to get hurt. Your knee is within inches of the key most of the time.

I would also ask about your ECU. Since you have an '11 like mine, I would think you have the ECU that will light up the check engine light with extended high speed runs. They have a replacement which solve the issue. It may help with stalling as well. This is a warranty repair. I also suspect with the low mileage you may just need to run the bike a few hundred miles(Italian tune up) . It has likely been sitting with the same gas for over a year. A little Techron or Seafoam may also be helpful.

Good luck and hopefully it doesn't happen again.
sideswiper

Post by sideswiper »

Brief update for everyone - still no stalls and the dealership was not able to repro or diagnose any issues with the scooter at all.
It is definitely getting smoother with more use and I'm loving her a ton :)