Egg crate-how to mount

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kentuckybuddy

Egg crate-how to mount

Post by kentuckybuddy »

I have an egg crate on order from ebay but was wondering what is the best way to mount this on the back of the rack on a 170i? Regular tie downs or what? Thanks
I am a Viet Nam Vet 65-66 (Big Red One) Search and destroy missions
Buddy 170i
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I used white zip ties, first 2 to hold down the flip up rack, then a few around where the crate bottom (and side in my case) are over the rack bar...trim excess, solid as rock.

Just be sure the ties are heavy enough gage and you'll be fine.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Velcro straps work good too and make for quick removal if needed, just remember to always over do it though.

If you really want to permanently mount it, U shaped bolts and large washers & lock washers are the way to go.
http://www.caseymhunt.com/scooter/crate ... temod.html
kentuckybuddy

Post by kentuckybuddy »

I think I will go with the U-Bolt hold down. It seems to me to be the strongest. Thanks for the help. Mine that I have on order and is to be delivered today is all metal. Made in the early 70's. Prep, Primer, paint and mount.
Buddy 170i
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

kentuckybuddy wrote:I think I will go with the U-Bolt hold down. It seems to me to be the strongest. Thanks for the help. Mine that I have on order and is to be delivered today is all metal. Made in the early 70's. Prep, Primer, paint and mount.
don't forget to put something (shrinkwrap tubing, rubber, etc) between the u bolt an the rack or the rack will get scratched up..
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I black cable-tied my black rubber-coated basket to my stock rear whatever-you-call-that-piece. But first I cut old bicycle innertubing and covered the plastic ''rear rack'', securing/coating them with black electric tape. That puppy is not going anywhere and saved me 80 bucks on a shipped rear rack.

You can see it if you go to my blog.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Whimscootie wrote:I black cable-tied my black rubber-coated basket to my stock rear whatever-you-call-that-piece. But first I cut old bicycle innertubing and covered the plastic ''rear rack'', securing/coating them with black electric tape. That puppy is not going anywhere and saved me 80 bucks on a shipped rear rack.

I looked at the pictures Doesn't it interfere with lifting the seat?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
kentuckybuddy

Post by kentuckybuddy »

They are not my pictures but I would say "NO". The crate is further back than the front end of the rack. MO
Buddy 170i
issue31

Post by issue31 »

I just use 6 heavy duty zip ties. No problem.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

heavy duty cable ties (from Lowe's -- black ones have UV resistant chemical added); 5 of them thru the bottom of the crate and around the tubular bars on the rack & 3 of them around the grab bar at the front of the rack...

handiest cargo carrying accessory around...great for small grocery runs, carrying lunchbag for work, and a place to put helmet when stopping for errands; the addition of an elastic cargo net makes it even more versatile...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

KABarash wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I black cable-tied my black rubber-coated basket to my stock rear whatever-you-call-that-piece. But first I cut old bicycle innertubing and covered the plastic ''rear rack'', securing/coating them with black electric tape. That puppy is not going anywhere and saved me 80 bucks on a shipped rear rack.

I looked at the pictures Doesn't it interfere with lifting the seat?
No. It is set back far enough that the seat can be raised.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Here's my write-up from a long time ago: http://www.cocktailsatfive.com/scoots/milkcrate/

Eventually the plastic lattice on the bottom cracks and you have to get a different crate. I think I probably went through 5 or 6 crates (on an 2008 Buddy), but that includes absolute abuse. Overloading the crate with very heavy stuff and riding on the shite city streets in Providence (potholes, heaves, speed bumps).

I switched to a vintage metal crate which held up great except the weight cracked the subframe/interior frame that has the purpose of having a rear rack.

Oh, and the rear rack support crossbar broke two years ago from a combo of rust and abuse. I fixed it with a piece of wood.

Right now I have nothing on the back, no rack, no crate. It feels so naked but I have to weld the subframe thingey.

I'll probably just start using saddlebags. I know some of you keep your Buddies looking pristine; mine is for commuting and looks a state. But as long as it starts, I'm happy.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

For those who might like it, my basket is a Sun Bicycle basket designed for the EZ-1 recumbent bike. I've had one for about 7 years. I recently bought another on Ebay.

I like them because they are rubber coated thck wire, are roomy, and are relatively light weight.

I alao used it on my Ruckus and Met.

You can bungee stuff to them, strap bicycle bags to them, carry a ton of stuff in them.

Cost of my last one was 20 bucks.