Drive belt life for Blur 220i

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

b0binthehat

Drive belt life for Blur 220i

Post by b0binthehat »

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for information on the usual life of a drive belt.

I've owned a 2011 Blur 220i since late June 2012 and Ive been riding it most of the time since then. It has about 7060 miles in now. The main drive belt which powers the rear wheel broke the other day while riding home from work. What I want to know is: How long does the drive belt usually last? 7k seems a bit low.

If anyone has a phone number where I can talk to a Genuine rep, that would be great. I don't see a contact number on the Genuine site.

Thanks! And have a safe holidays!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Not sure what's in the shop manual for the blur. on the buddy it says "replace every @ 8k miles". Mine is on 10k and the shop hasn't changed it yet during regular service, as they claim it's fine.

But, it is a 'consumable' part, like a spark plug. if you bought it less than 2 years ago, the dealer should cover your replacement belt (and the associated labor), then they'll deal with Genuine on the back end.
b0binthehat

Post by b0binthehat »

Okay, thanks for the input. For some reason I left the manual in the storage compartment when I dropped it off at the shop so I can't check mine.

It's interesting you bring up the 'consumable' part thing. I would think this would be completely covered under the 2yr Genuine warranty. I bought the bike from an authorized Genuine dealer, Twist n Scoot in Decatur, GA, and it has only been serviced by them. I have actually gone out of my way to bring it back to them because I moved about an hour away a few months after purchase.

But now, I was told that I will have to pay for the new belt because "it falls under normal wear and tear"? I have no idea how much this might cost yet, but I'm curious about how this could have been prevented. Especially because it seems like poor design if the drive belt breaking under power can cause consequential damage to the clutch, sliders, and rollers. I suppose like many Blur riders out there, I did occasionally ride it kinda hard and that would explain why it may have busted early, but I still thought the warranty would cover this. :?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

If you're having it serviced at the place you bought it, doesn't hurt to ask.

if you look in the technical section there are the service manuals in pdf form. didn't see one for the 220i specifically, but I don't see why they'd be a ton different on the 150. It does say in the manual that belts aren't covered.

I doubt it will have hurt the rest of the transmission, and if it did, surely THAT would be covered.

Every dealer/bike is different, just remember to be patient. Belts aren't expensive, though the labor to put it on might run a bit.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

A CVT belt is a "consumable" just like a tire. It is not a warranty item unless you could show that it failed prematurely due to a defect when new (hard to demonstrate). My experience is that it is very hard to assess belt wear by inspection. A belt will look fine and then snap one day while you are riding the bike. I change out belts at the factory recommended interval. I'd say 7-8,000 miles is typically a good number.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

From Genuine's website:

In a nutshell, consumable parts such as brake pads, cables, tires, bulbs, belts, etc. are NOT covered. The battery is covered for one month after purchase. All non-consumable components such as the piston, the forks, the frame, etc. are covered for the entire length of the warranty period.

I don't understand why it would have damaged the rest of the transmission though. I would ask about that. I too bought my Blur at Twist N Scoot in early July 2012 so within a week or so of your purchase :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chickdr wrote:I don't understand why it would have damaged the rest of the transmission though. I would ask about that.
That is actually fairly common if the belt breaks while you are riding. It shreds into strips and tangles in the clutch and pulleys. If you are unlucky, it will lock up the rear wheel which can be pretty exciting. All of that is why most of us don't try to stretch the replacement period with the belt.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

chickdr wrote:I don't understand why it would have damaged the rest of the transmission though. I would ask about that.
That is actually fairly common if the belt breaks while you are riding. It shreds into strips and tangles in the clutch and variator. If you are unlucky, it will lock up the rear wheel which can be pretty exciting. All of that is why most of us don't try to stretch the replacement period with the belt.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The one downfall to the blur seems to be belt life. I suggest a new one every 6K. It is fairly common to see them break around there. Great bike, needs a better belt :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
bBiz

belt snap

Post by bBiz »

The belt on my 2013 blur snapped at around 6300 miles. I didn't mind too much because I do ride it pretty hard (full throttle launches, occasional wheelies). It destroyed the pulley. It wasn't covered by the warranty because of my mileage.

So yeah, what viney266 said. Get a new belt every 6k.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I was just reading the shop manual for the Blur:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/file ... Manual.pdf

It recommends a drive belt replacement every 3600 miles!!! I just hit 4k.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

chickdr wrote:I was just reading the shop manual for the Blur:

My owners manual says to adjust it every 3730miles. It doesn't give a service interval to change it. Just says replace if necessary.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

bBiz wrote:
chickdr wrote:I was just reading the shop manual for the Blur:

My owners manual says to adjust it every 3730miles. It doesn't give a service interval to change it. Just says replace if necessary.
If you look at the link I provided(which is the official shop manual for the mechanics working on the Blur) it shows I and R intervals and says to Replace at 3600 mile intervals.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

Wow, it really sucks that they didn't say that in the owners manual. It would have saved me a bunch if cash.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I just had mine replaced yesterday at ~6300 miles. They told me I came in just in time. It was cracked and ready to break at any moment.

Both local shops told me the belts should be replaced every 4 to 6K miles.
2wheelfun

Post by 2wheelfun »

Considering the abuse those belts take it's amazing they last as long as they do. Set your self a schedule like 5yr or 5000 mi which ever occurs 1st. Causing damage or getting stuck far away from home isn't my cup of tea.