fuel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLady

fuel

Post by ScootLady »

I am new to the scooter world I have a buddy 170i and I am looking for the best fuel to get the most from my scooter. Premium or just Regular :D
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Many discussions on this in the archives! The short story: Regular works fine.

Welcome to Scooting! Always feel free to ask questions here--we've got a good group of people and are happy that you've joined it! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For the 170s, Genuine suggests using premium — 91 or 93 depending on your location.

viewtopic.php?t=26705
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

I strongly endorse using gasoline as fuel. Diesel and ethanol: bad ideas. ;) More specific than that ... comes down to experimentation.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Like motor oil, everybody has an opinion. I'm with Eric, I'd start with the factory's recommendation.
skipper20

Re: fuel

Post by skipper20 »

ScootLady wrote:I am new to the scooter world I have a buddy 170i and I am looking for the best fuel to get the most from my scooter. Premium or just Regular :D
I use premium in my 170i. Since the fuel tank is so small (I have a hard time getting 1.1 gals in it when the needle is in the red) it's only pennies more than regular.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I've always used premium in all my scoots.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jd

Post by jd »

ericalm wrote:For the 170s, Genuine suggests using premium — 91 or 93 depending on your location.

viewtopic.php?t=26705
A common misconception. "Premium" is a misnomer and has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel.

Octane is measured differently in the Far East than it is in the United States. 92 octane in Taiwan equates to about 87 octane in the U.S., i.e., plain ol' regular gas. That's what Genuine is actually recommending.

Premium fuel is engineered for engines that burn hotter under higher compression, and is made specifically to burn at higher temperatures. It does not contain more "power" than regular. Using high-octane fuel extensively in a low compression engine not only doesn't provide any benefit, it can actually result in the build-up of carbon on the pistons over time if the engine doesn't run hot enough.

Bottom Line: Running premium fuel won't do you any good. It might do you some harm...but only in the long run. Save your money.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
ScootLady

Post by ScootLady »

Thanks y'all.
Scooting through life...smiling all the way!
scootdad

fuel

Post by scootdad »

We've been buying ethanol-free fuel in downtown Olympia. It's a little more $$, but I like not having to worry about the effects of the ethanol in the system. It seems to provide a small performance increase as well.

Bob