My 1984 Honda Aero 125…how can I say goodby?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

steveg

My 1984 Honda Aero 125…how can I say goodby?

Post by steveg »

After 30 years, it breaks my heart to part company with this gem of a scooter, but our move to a condo just prohibits bringing the Aero with us. I’m not a collector, and never realized that this Honda model is quite unique, as it was only brought into the US by Honda for one year. Not only is it a vintage scooter, it’s a rare find for it’s pristine condition. I’ve kept it garaged, covered with a blanket, taking it out just for short fun runs in nice weather. It’s got just 864 miles! I welcome ideas on where to post the scooter for sale…and what its value is. I was thinking of listing it on eBay Motors. Thanks! Cheryl G.
Attachments
1984 Honda Aero 125 is custom painted and has only 864 miles!
1984 Honda Aero 125 is custom painted and has only 864 miles!
Honda Aero 125.jpg (157.67 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Ah, 864 miles in thirty years??? That is about 28 miles a year! I put that many miles or more on a scooter virtually every day. Still, it is hard to lose an old friend.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Is it an issue of space or an issue with condo covenants?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
steveg

Post by steveg »

It's only a matter of space. There is not room in the garage for a car and the scooter. One guy has a Harley, and that's all he keeps in the garage.
Attachments
Honda Aero 125_6.jpg
Honda Aero 125_6.jpg (85.95 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Honda Aero 125_5.jpg
Honda Aero 125_5.jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Honda Aero 125_4.jpg
Honda Aero 125_4.jpg (141.6 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Honda Aero 125_7.jpg
Honda Aero 125_7.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Honda Aero 125_3.jpg
Honda Aero 125_3.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Honda Aero 125_2.jpg
Honda Aero 125_2.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

steveg wrote:It's only a matter of space. There is not room in the garage for a car and the scooter. One guy has a Harley, and that's all he keeps in the garage.
Your scooter is beautiful. Unless you own a Ford F350, it is hard to imagine that there is not room to place your small scoot sideways in front of your car in the garage.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have 2 scooters. They both reside in a storage unit not far from where I live. I go over there, park my car or walk there, and ride out from there.

People have been known to park them inside their homes as well.

There's always a way if you rethink old habits.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ebay or local CL might be good places to start.

With that few miles over it's life, that's pretty cool!
3angieyou

Post by 3angieyou »

I stored mine outside under a stairwell of my apartment complex with a cover one year while I was looking for houses. Surprisingly the stairwell did a decent job of keeping it protected. I had asked the manager and chained it up. Never had any issues. Though it was a pain in the ass, it allowed me to keep my scoot :)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I had to part with a 20 year old Jeep Wrangler that I had since new back in the fall. Seems odd however, it's just a vehicle but it was difficult.
If space is the only reason and you truly want to keep it (I would) rethink things a bit, 'if there's a will, there's a way'
I grew up not too far from Williston Park in Valley Stream, going up home to visit regularly I've noticed there's plenty of storage facilities piped up in the last several years. If your neighbor keeps his cycle in his garage, I'd assume his car stays outside.

Best of luck to you....

Keith
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Hi Cheryl -

Beautiful scoot, too bad that you're unable to keep her...

Not sure if you knew this or not, but thought I'd just throw this out as a caution in case you didn't: I'm guessing that, riding as little as you have, those tires are original? If so, that is a pretty serious concern for you (if somehow keeping the Honda), or to someone who might buy it. Tires that old *really* shouldn't be on a bike - not one that can move, at least. Even if they look good, general guidelines suggest that you go only about 6 years on a set, certainly no more than 10. Granted, you aren't hitting highway speeds, but still - those are the things that keep you and the rest of the bike up and off of the rough pavement - they're pretty important. :) Here's more info, if you are interested:

http://blog.unsafemotorcycles.com/2010/ ... tters.html

I thought about it because I recently bought a '72 Honda CB350, and found that the tires on it are circa ~2000. First thing I bought were new ones. :D

Good luck to you with the move, and with whatever you wind up doing with the scooter!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
steveg

Post by steveg »

Thanks...that's good information. Naturally, the tires look like new. I suppose with age they become a bit brittle?
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I think brittle/dry might be some of it, old rubber does do that over time. My biggest worry/thought would be that the internal structure could break down, the ply layers separate and such, where you cannot see it - and then it flings them apart at speed. :shock:

The tires from 15+ years ago on my CB looked *great*, no cracks or anything - but having "been down" once (tho' not due to old tires), I've learned that it is smart (and a lot less painful!) to try and do ahead of time whatever it takes to keep that from happening ever again. :D
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

With it being in museum quality condition, you might want to contact Honda or a local Honda shop that has a lot of scooters and see if there's some interest in it.

Very cool, indeed.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Our local shop, Sportique Scooters, frequently buys scoots if the deal is right.

Maybe you guys can come to an agreement and the Honda can live on! I don't think it's even broken in yet.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

That's a fantastic looking Aero! I'm sure that the right buyer could be found for it (at or around $1800, I would think, perhaps settling for $1500), but if I were you I too would keep it. Find a way and you will be glad that you did. They are a great scooter, and will run forever with the care that you've obviously lavished on it. Leave no one behind!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
steveg

Post by steveg »

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. We would keep the scooter, but it's just not in the cards. Has anyone had experience selling through eBay Motors?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

You've loved it sooo long, guess that was a difficult decision. :(
Geeze, I wish I could buy it, mom's basement in South Valley Stream is still empty after hurricane Sandy. I guess I could start filling it up again... :P

Best of luck...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
2wheelfun

Post by 2wheelfun »

Bad tires on anything with 2 wheels can turn into a disaster for the rider, if you can't afford decent tires, save up till you can. Blowout on a bike isn't like a car...........op how much are you asking for that scoot just curious, way too far away for me to be a customer. Shipping would kill any deal.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

You could hang it in the garage. I have seen a local guy use tie downs to keep his scooter up in the air for him to work on and keep multiple scoots out of the way.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

steveg wrote:Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. We would keep the scooter, but it's just not in the cards. Has anyone had experience selling through eBay Motors?
I sold my previous Helix that way. The main problem is that on the one hand you want top dollar so as to get the most money after eBay takes its cut (and PayPal as well), and on the other hand you need to keep the price reasonable because most buyers will need to pay for shipping on top of the vehicle price.

I limited my sale to a local classified and was lucky enough to sell it to a guy from PA who provided his own transport. I got a good price and so did he.

Forget Craigslist - it's a hell-hole.

Scoot.net has a classifieds section, and if you're an AMA member, they have one as well.