Lets play "what fell off my Stella"

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

Lets play "what fell off my Stella"

Post by xTomBx »

Yesterday upon returning home from work I kickied Argyle up on it's center stand and heard the "tink tink" of metal on concrete. I found this piece laying under my scoot. I looked under it and couldnt discern where it came from.
Does anybody know?
whatizzit?
Safe to still ride?
Howscoot

Post by Howscoot »

Hi,
I think you'll find that is one of the two brackets securing your centre stand to the scoot.
If I'm correct, the bolts that hold the stand on (and should pass through that bracket), pass through the the scooter floor just underneath & behind where your feet rest when you're riding.
Gently try to pull the bolts up through the floor - if the come out, or at least feel loose, then the nuts have unscrewed underneath and fallen off and consequently so has the bracket you're holding in the picture.
Check the tightness of the bracket on the other side and get that bracket bolted on ASAP
The upside is that you haven't lost the bracket, so you'll only need two washers and nuts to bolt it back on :D
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Thank you, thats what I suspected.

In hindsight, I noticed an extra rattle last week when riding that went away when I would nudge the center stand with my boot. I bet it was that bracket working its way loose.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I don't know -- but it looks incredibly hi-tech! :lol:
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Ill always put the nylon locking nutz on those bolts. . Forget the flat washers and regular nuts.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
J33pman

Post by J33pman »

Locktite. Buy some. I went over every single fastener on my bike and nothing has loosened since.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

J33pman wrote:Locktite. Buy some. I went over every single fastener on my bike and nothing has loosened since.
+100
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

When I took my 'straight-from-the-dealer' 4T off the back of my truck I found a small bolt there. Later I realized that it was one of the three that hold on the seat. No biggie.
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

When I rebuilt my Stella 2T everything I could got new Nylock style nuts or LockTite blue on it. I checked every nut and bolt for tightness.
05 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
05 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I love those Nylocs.
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

slotrod65 wrote:I love those Nylocs.
Next bike I build, I am going to buy a box of them in a variety of sizes to save $$$ over what Home Depot/ Lowes charge for them....
05 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
05 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have replaced almost every externally views nut/bolt/screw with chrome or stainless steel, with Nylocs and split washers all around. The last thing I need to do is lose a $3.00 nut followed by a $1.50 washer and the $3.00 bolt... Ah, the price of beauty.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

slotrod65 wrote:I have replaced almost every externally views nut/bolt/screw with chrome or stainless steel, with Nylocs and split washers all around. The last thing I need to do is lose a $3.00 nut followed by a $1.50 washer and the $3.00 bolt... Ah, the price of beauty.
I really like the look of nylon lock stainless nuts on a show worthy bike..
Beauty and function!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

slotrod65 wrote:I have replaced almost every externally views nut/bolt/screw with chrome or stainless steel, with Nylocs and split washers all around. The last thing I need to do is lose a $3.00 nut followed by a $1.50 washer and the $3.00 bolt... Ah, the price of beauty.
Chrome gets expensive! I bought a rear rack that was missing the mounting hardware pretty cheap. I couldn't bring myself to put ugly nuts and bolts on it, so I ended up spending almost as much as I saved to buy chrome hardware.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrstone wrote:
Chrome gets expensive! I bought a rear rack that was missing the mounting hardware pretty cheap. I couldn't bring myself to put ugly nuts and bolts on it, so I ended up spending almost as much as I saved to buy chrome hardware.
Amen to this. I put chrome hardware on my moped restorations. I bought chrome bolts, washers and "bullet" acorn nuts for my FA Italia rims. Nothing like bolting $75 worth of hardware onto $120 worth of rims. Looked sharp as hell in person; I'll do it again once I get my 4T!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...