New 2013 Buddy 125 Owner Needs Help!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lsealum

New 2013 Buddy 125 Owner Needs Help!

Post by Lsealum »

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I want to say thanks to everyone here for building a great community. I scoured these pages before I bought by Buddy last week and the presence of this forum helped me feel good about that decision.

Here's the story:

The Buddy ran well for two days, without issue. I washed it on Friday, because the previous owner left it a dirty mess and the next time I tried to crank it up it would not turn over. I thought it best not to take any chances , so I decided to do a little maintenance in hopes that it would solve whatever the problem was.

Heres what I did:

*Replaced the Air Filter
* Changed the Gear Oil
*Cleaned the Carburetor
* Cleaned the Fuel Filter
* Discovered there was NO OIL in the Scooter. Put oil in, but did not change the filter yet.

After all this, I got the same result. It cranks and stalls, but refuses to turn all the way over.

Any idea what this could be? Im ready to ride my new Buddy!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Did you check the battery?
Lsealum

Post by Lsealum »

@ Drum Pro,

I did not check the battery. It does not seem electrical, but I will give it a shot. Thank you.
buddyz

Post by buddyz »

Try to approach it methodically. You need fuel, spark and compression. Pull the spark plug out, ground it and crank the motor over and look for a nice spark. If you have spark, see if you are getting fuel to cylinder. If both of those check out, you should do a compression check. Usually compression is fine, but if it was ran without oil for long you might have some issues.

Let me know the results of your fuel/fire/compression check and I'll try to walk you through this.
Roughhouse 50: NCY Supertrans, 8 gram Dr. Pulley sliders, Low down shock, eliminated fender and reflectors, Bar end mirror, LED ground effects, Hidden tender port
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

buddyz wrote:Try to approach it methodically. You need fuel, spark and compression. Pull the spark plug out, ground it and crank the motor over and look for a nice spark. If you have spark, see if you are getting fuel to cylinder. If both of those check out, you should do a compression check. Usually compression is fine, but if it was ran without oil for long you might have some issues.

Let me know the results of your fuel/fire/compression check and I'll try to walk you through this.
This is pretty much my process for tracking down a problem.

Make a list (even a mental one) of possible causes, then start with the easiest to check and most likely first.

Low battery is very much possible for this. I'd check that first.
Next, spark plug.
Also, how old is the gas in the scooter? Could be bad/stale/old gas.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lsealum

Post by Lsealum »

@buddyz, Thanks will try that step by step in the morning.

@ericalm, Sorry, I did not mention that I drained the tank, and cleaned it, and then put new gas in. Will also check the spark plug. Thanks
Lsealum

Post by Lsealum »

Hi All,

Just a quick update. Checked the battery. It was fine. Tested spark plug, no spark. Bought a new spark plug and got the same result. Nothing.

Looking over the forums suggest CDI or Ignition Coil. Should I look into this next? Any other ideas?

At this point it has a new spark plug, gear oil, air filter, and cleaned gas tank, fuel filter and Carburetor.

This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for your help
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Lsealum wrote:Hi All,

Just a quick update. Checked the battery. It was fine. Tested spark plug, no spark. Bought a new spark plug and got the same result. Nothing.

Looking over the forums suggest CDI or Ignition Coil. Should I look into this next? Any other ideas?

At this point it has a new spark plug, gear oil, air filter, and cleaned gas tank, fuel filter and Carburetor.

This is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for your help
Did you ground your plug against a metal surface on the scoot when you checked for spark?
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Lsealum

Post by Lsealum »

@agrogod

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did. Got nada
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Keep the stator in mind…
Attachments
stator I.jpg
stator I.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

What year and how many miles?

Sounds like your pretty comfortable working on your bike. Here are some ignition trouble shooting tips.
http://www.buggydepot.com/tech-center/g ... -no-spark/
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The thing with CDIs is that they are great one minute and absolutely no spark the next. I'd swap in a new, known good CDI if I was missing spark. Unless it's that 70k Buddy, I'd doubt that the trouble is in the stator (unless there is fire coming out of it!) Good luck, you will get there.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Lsealum

Update!

Post by Lsealum »

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. I took it to the shop and after a week and $125 later it turned out to be the ignition coil.

All the best,
Whimscootie

Re: Update!

Post by Whimscootie »

Lsealum wrote:Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. I took it to the shop and after a week and $125 later it turned out to be the ignition coil.

All the best,
Yay! Problem solved! :clap:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Did you power wash it ? My guess is coil. It's somewhat exposed on the backside of the engine. Make sure you didn't knock a wire off it.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.