Squirrel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

Squirrel

Post by iamryan25 »

Today on my ride home I clipped a squirrel with the buddy that shot into my front tire.

I felt a tiny bump and saw the little bugger's tail flailing on the side of the road from my mirror.

That sight in my mirror and the thought of that little animal suffering bugged me enough to make me turn around and finish the job if he wasn't gone yet.

Sure enough he lay there kicking and suffering. It took two more roll overs to send him all the way to squirrel heaven.

I noticed his squirrel friend watching from about 10 feet away, I dragged him over into the gutter and left feeling depressed.

Hope I never have to do that again.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

The Merchant Of Venice Act 4, scene 1, 180–187, William Shakespeare
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ugh. Poor little guy.

That being said, they're f'n stupid. they sit there, waiting, and then dive right under the wheel. I think they do it on purpose.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

When my GF first got her Buddy the same thing happened. She was riding behind me and a squirrel ran towards my scooter then U-Turned and headed back to the side of the road, after I passed it apparently tried to traverse again, this time it wasn't so lucky. When we got back to the house a few minutes later she was tearing up and I knew what had happened. Good experience though, she didn't try to swerve or do anything stupid, kept her calm.

When I was a kid I saw a motorcycle run over a squirrel, pinning it's head to the road and the rest of it just kind of flopped around wildly. My dad said "don't look". That for some reason has stuck with me. Squirrels are cute, but dumb.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Sorry you to had to do that, but you know it was for the best. And Kudos to you for not just riding off.

It's even better, though, that you did not do anything rash like sudden maneuvers to avoid the little Kamikaze.
It's always best to protect yourself and others around you at the expense of a varmint.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

You did the right thing in finishing it off. A decent-sized wrench would also do the job, and quickly too.

No need for remorse either. They're pretty much at the bottom of the food chain around here. If a vehicle doesn't get them, it'll be a fox, wild dog, or coyote (yes, we have some of them here in NJ).

We have a lot of rabbits and man, I have never heard anything as blood-curdling as when one of them gets nailed by a fox. First time I heard it I thought that someone was attacking an infant with a chainsaw.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Back in college, one of my 3 jobs was an early morning paper route via car that I ran for USA Today with my sister. We alternated days driving and folding/stuffing.

Anyway, one day the same incident happened to me, but not with a squirrel - instead, with a little kitten, only a few weeks old, a little fluffball.

It had been playing with 3 or 4 of its siblings at roadside, and ran out just as I drew abreast. I felt my VW Bug go bump, and knew what happened, so then had to go back and finish it off.

I think wiping out a squirrel would be damned easy after that, what with those other cute little kittens sitting there looking at the murderer while he finished off their brother...

:headache:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Thanks all I'm smiling more today after reading these replies.

I went camping this weekend and a sick bird walked slowly into the dirt road, obviously attempting suicide.

I was driving my girlfriends subaru and avoided hitting the animal but apparently irritated her because I didn't swerve or slam brakes.

I explained the importance to keep calm and not make sudden corrections, which would risk or lives over a bird that can't fly any longer and may have been waiting for hours for a car to come along and give it the opportunity to get to bird heaven.

Same rules apply for scooters and animals in traffic, not risking myself to save em, but I will make sure I finish the job if I can't get it done on the first try.

Long story short, I wish I would have had a heavy wrench because the Buddy is surprisingly not heavy enough to finish the job in one roll over.
TVB

Post by TVB »

skully93 wrote:That being said, they're f'n stupid. they sit there, waiting, and then dive right under the wheel. I think they do it on purpose.
I had a groundhog do this to me. He was hiding in long grass by the side of the road, and ran out in front of me just when I was too close to stop or swerve or anything. (I suspect I surprised him, and he panicked.) I hit him dead-on at full speed. Oh, and did I mention that I was on my bicycle? :shock: I walked away with minor injuries (helmet and gloves, as always). He... did not. :(
iMoses

Re: Squirrel

Post by iMoses »

iamryan25 wrote:
It took two more roll overs to send him all the way to squirrel heaven.

Sorry I almost laughed….I kept thinking ni

http://wifflegif.com/tags/276816-knight ... ay-ni-gifs
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Been there! Only it was a chipmunk with me.
JettaKnight

Re: Squirrel

Post by JettaKnight »

iMoses wrote:
iamryan25 wrote:
It took two more roll overs to send him all the way to squirrel heaven.

Sorry I almost laughed….
Well, I did. :lol: This has to be be one of the funnier threads on MB.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I hate squirrels. Hit them cycling a number of times. One tried jumping through the spokes of our tandem front wheel on a fast downhill decent. Lucky for us we were on the tandem and just went skidding for 50 yards or so with extremely erratic steering. on a single I probably would have been down and out.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Tazio wrote:I hate squirrels. Hit them cycling a number of times. One tried jumping through the spokes of our tandem front wheel on a fast downhill decent. Lucky for us we were on the tandem and just went skidding for 50 yards or so with extremely erratic steering. on a single I probably would have been down and out.
Did it make a sound like a baseball card?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I ran over a little bunny rabbit a few months back in the dark on my way to work. I felt like crap about it.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've had a sparrow hit me in the helmet but it didn't die nor did I go down. It's not pretty but I guess it happens....
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

So far I have run over a bunny, squirrel, hit a flying bird (found the feathers it left in my grill), two deer an armadillo. It gets easier as time goes by. Its the first one that always sticks with you. The armadillo was the first, still remember the split open back, dead on impact. Cleared it off the road so no one else would hit it.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I rear-ended a bird with my '69 Beetle back when I lived in New Hampshire. Poor little fella was chasing another bird and dived down directly in front of my windshield. I mashed the brakes, but for several seconds, this poor little bird got "Turbo Boost". He was flapping furiously with his tail feathers splayed on my windscreen!

The bird did fly off as I slowed enough that he could fly faster than the car was going. I think he was startled, but OK. I did need to clean the windshield afterwards.

That was decidedly funnier than the bird that flew into the same car while I was driving in Alabama with the windshield removed (it had been vandalized); the car was harder to clean the second time...
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yeah you did the right thing, and it is tough. My decade and more career as a truck driver was punctuated by a few unavoidable collisions with deer and opossum and dogs. the memory of these events can still ruin my evenings repose. R
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yeah you did the right thing, and it is tough. My decade and more career as a truck driver was punctuated by a few unavoidable collisions with deer and opossum and dogs. the memory of these events can still ruin my evenings repose. R