2012 Stella 4T Will Not Idle HELP! (UPDATES)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MrFeeney

2012 Stella 4T Will Not Idle HELP! (UPDATES)

Post by MrFeeney »

I just bought this 2012 Stella on Saturday (from a private seller). I went up and test rode the Stella and it ran fine. On the ride home, I noticed a little bog in the idle from time to time, but I thought it might just need to have the idle turned up a bit.

On Sunday, I went out to take my new baby for a spin, and it wouldn't idle at all!! The seller, had mentioned that the battery was low and the electric start didn't work, but I noticed even with the key in the ON position, the lights were not functioning. So, I figured a new battery can't hurt and might be causing the idle problem.

Installed new battery today and fixed my electrical problems. Electric start works, gauge shows lights, tail light on with key in ON position. It seemed to stay idling longer with the choke out, but was barely hanging on. Choke in and it dies.

Next step was to open up the carb and spray some cleaner in, as I suspected a possible clogged jet. Did that and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

So needless to say I'm a little frustrated with my new purchase and I feel like I may have fallen into a money pit. I'm going to call a shop tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Most likely I'll end up taking it in to get checked out, however I thought I'd see if you guys had any other solutions for me to try.

TL;DR: Purchased used Stella 4T, made it home fine. Hasn't been able to idle since. Tried new battery and carb clean to no avail. I hate myself right now, but I just want to love this scooter. HELP!

!!!UPDATE!!! -- well, I took the dremel to that screw and I was able to cut a new slot. SO what do I do now? haha

The mix screw was set to 1 turn out. I have the idle set a little high and the engine seems to run pretty hot most of the time. Any suggestions as to how to adjust the carb?
Last edited by MrFeeney on Fri May 30, 2014 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Swap the 4t gas cap to a vented 2t, mine ran like crap and died like it was starving... turned out they lean them out too much to pass CARB cert.

My dealer/ shop adjusted the carb, new cap, no problems... milage dropped some but came back and increased as it broke in.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

The battery will not affect idle. My guess is that the bike was not stored properly, and that the gas was not stabilized. Seafoam is what everyone uses. The carb/jets may have some built up gunk from poor storage.
MrFeeney

Post by MrFeeney »

slotrod65 wrote:The battery will not affect idle. My guess is that the bike was not stored properly, and that the gas was not stabilized. Seafoam is what everyone uses. The carb/jets may have some built up gunk from poor storage.
thanks for your suggestions guys. I'll try running some Seafoam through the tank. Should I siphon out whats in the tank and refill with Seafoam and new gas, or just add the Seafoam to whats in the tank now?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

You cold add it, but if you suspect the gas has been there since last fall, I would drain it, then refill with fresh gas. If a few tanks of Seafoam do not work, you may need to drop the carb, check the bowl, and clean the jets. I did this as part of my spring opener a few weeks ago, it is not hard. Here is a great video showing you some maintenance as including the carb service:

http://vimeo.com/20618680
MrFeeney

Post by MrFeeney »

Quick update:

Tried your solutions, didn't have much luck, so I took it to a mechanic. He found that the air/fuel mixture screw was broken off, so he suggested I get a new carb eventually as that might be causing some issues. However, he was able to get her running for now.

I LOVE STELLA. TOO MUCH FUN.

anyway, I was quoted at 185 for a new OEM carb, is that a decent price? Do you think I might be able to find one for cheaper/used?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

"He found that the air/fuel mixture screw was broken off"

Ooohh... That'll do it every time.

I have not had good luck finding used 4T parts. Although you can find wrecked 4Ts by googling Genuine Stella 4T salvage, they always want to sell the entire scoot. (so far at least)

TASSO is the UK's LML (Genuine Stella) supplier, and they want £67.58 for a new carb. That's about $115, plus postage, and two weeks for it to arrive... Unless you can locate a trashed 4T, $185 may be your best bet.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Theres no way that a talented mechanic cannot easy out the broken screw and replace?
Gool luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
MrFeeney

Post by MrFeeney »

jimmbomb wrote:Theres no way that a talented mechanic cannot easy out the broken screw and replace?
Gool luck

Ya know, that was my thought as well.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

too bad you are 2k miles away from me,. sure would give it a try for you for free and help you to save 185 bucks so you could spend that dough on other things for your scoot..
I may suggest yank the carb off and try and find a carb shop.. or a older harley shop. One where you see alot of older carbed bikes there... drop in and have a talk.. show them your broken screw.. hire them to get it out and then you could find a replacement.. probally at a local mom and pop hardware store.. godddammmn.. 185 for replacemt carb on account of 1 broken screw??
Not me..
good luck
J H
MrFeeney

Post by MrFeeney »

jimmbomb wrote:too bad you are 2k miles away from me,. sure would give it a try for you for free and help you to save 185 bucks so you could spend that dough on other things for your scoot..
I may suggest yank the carb off and try and find a carb shop.. or a older harley shop. One where you see alot of older carbed bikes there... drop in and have a talk.. show them your broken screw.. hire them to get it out and then you could find a replacement.. probally at a local mom and pop hardware store.. godddammmn.. 185 for replacemt carb on account of 1 broken screw??
Not me..
good luck
well, I took the dremel to that screw and I was able to cut a new slot. SO what do I do now? haha

The mix screw was set to 1 turn out. I have the idle set a little high and the engine seems to run pretty hot most of the time. Any suggestions as to how to adjust the carb?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

The motor wil be hot. Youre in LA.. and its not water cooled.
Set the idle so its not too high.. and not too slow...
If it runs good and idles good, then id say that youre good to go.
Look behind you as you ride slow and see if its belching thick black smoke out of the pipe.
That's not good and will turn your sparkplug sooty black as charcoal.
If it aint think black smoke, then you're good.
Good job on your own repair. . See.. ya saved a big payday !
J H
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Pull the spark plug, if your fuel air mix is too lean, this can cause your engine to run hot.

On this topic, any one have a fuel additive like MMO cause carbon fouling on the plug? I was trying to read my plug today and adjust the mix, but no matter what I set the mix screw at, the plug came out black. Tried the directions in the service manual to adjust mixture but gave up and used the good, old reading the plug method.