Tucson

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ka24desc

Tucson

Post by ka24desc »

Tucson prides itself on how it is one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the US, every business in the city has a safe place to both park and lock up a by-cycle.

In retrospect, how often does one find parking dedicated to motorcycles and scooters?
Further more I ask where does one find a safe place to secure a motorcycle or scooter.
The answers are rarely and not at all.
Europe, England and South America have long ago embraced two wheeled transportation (especially scooters) with open and welcoming arms. The US has a great history with motorcycles and is just now catching on in the scooter market.

Motorcycles and especially scooters use a lot less gas than cars and SUV’s, contributing less to the dependency on the expensive oil industry. They also emit less pollution since they use so little fuel, again especially scooters.

Recently there have been news stories on both the increased sales of scooters and motorcycles as well as reports of increased thefts of motorcycles and scooters (including mine).

So I ask why is there not more parking in such a large and fast growing community dedicated to our two wheeled commuters.
It is my suggestion that more businesses provide at least some parking dedicated to motorcycle/scooter riders with some kind of ground anchor to lock or cable said vehicles to.

I’ve seen parking for expectant mothers, disabled, compact, employee of the month, 15 min parking, and security, but am hard pressed to find parking for motorcycles. Two motorcycles can fit in one typical car spot, and car drivers often become greatly annoyed to find motorcycles taking up a parking spot, sometimes to the point of vandalism.
We often resort to parking on the sidewalk in front of businesses or the cross-hatch areas at the end of parking rows.

Just doesn’t seem like motorcyclists/scooterists are given equal consideration as is given to automobile drivers and bicycles.

What’s the deal Tucson!?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Parking isn't much of an issue here in Cottonwood, but the local gendarmes began ticketing motorcycles parked in the triangles leftover from striping the parking lot at WalMart...you know, the ones right up front where everyone puts their carts...that have diagonal stripes through them. Anyway, we caught the attention of the manager and he designated three auto spaces right up front at both sides of the store as "motorcycle only" parking. Signs and everything! No more tickets. Maybe you should actually go in and talk to owners and managers of places you frequent and see what they will do for you. This may have to be an individual thing before a governmental entity will get involved. Fear not! Be bold!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"