Vibration in mirrors

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raputtak

Vibration in mirrors

Post by Raputtak »

I get quite a bit of vibration in the mirrors. It makes it difficult to check how close the cager behind me is tailgating.

I had hoped to fasten a RAM mount on the stem to hold a GPS or GoPro, figuring that the extra mass would dampen the hippy hippy shakes, but I could not find a RAM mount that went as small as 3/8". They all say 'from 0.5" '.

Any ideas, boys and girls? Maybe fasten something there with a hose clamp?
misterbrackets

Re: Vibration in mirrors

Post by misterbrackets »

Raputtak wrote:I get quite a bit of vibration in the mirrors. It makes it difficult to check how close the cager behind me is tailgating.

I had hoped to fasten a RAM mount on the stem to hold a GPS or GoPro, figuring that the extra mass would dampen the hippy hippy shakes, but I could not find a RAM mount that went as small as 3/8". They all say 'from 0.5" '.

Any ideas, boys and girls? Maybe fasten something there with a hose clamp?
I think over time the vibration will stop bothering you. I hated it at first and thought the mirrors were almost worthless - but now it doesn't seem to bother me..... and I use them constantly. I thought about getting a clamp-on legshield mirror for this reason at one point. You can also get mirrors that attach to your helmet.

This is probably a crazy idea, but here it goes: If you wanted added mass on your mirror stems (towards the bottom near the bracket), you could get a stack of stainless steel washers with holes that match the outer diameter of the mirror stem and put them on there (you could JB Weld them into one big cylinder - and then paint them gold and add glitter). Or, you could find cylindrical lead weights with a hole down the center. Though all this could also amplify the vibrations :) I don't have my scooter in front of me, and I don't remember if there is some sort of flange at the base of the mirror stem that would prevent you from doing this. You can also get lead tape used for weighting tennis rackets. Honestly, I'd just wait and see if you get used to them ... and ignore this whole paragraph.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

(Darn it. I keep looking for the 'thumbs up' they have on ModernVespa)

When this rain stops, I will try a few things...

...or just ignore the whole paragraph.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Maybe you could use OE Piaggio mounting brackets from a P-series, they are a bit thicker stamping.

I have yet to actively observe this phenomena on a 4T; the longest ride I have taken on one was 40 mins of aggressively flogging it around the city ( friend's bike, was testing fixes for a power-loss / stalling issue). His bike was a secondhand theft-recovery and was repaired with both 2T Stella and P/PX parts, so it's a poor example to observe anyway.

I will say that my Vespa always rattles the crap out of the mirror at idle, but it settles and smooths out once the engine is revved a little. That's a Stella mirror on a P series mount. It was better with the original mirror, but that went by the wayside after a low-speed low-side.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

OK, in a 'test of concept' I folded in the vice two short lengths of metal strapping into a shallow Vee and bolted them in the regular RAM U-bolt. Earache! No, wait, that is Eureka! It worked. The U-bolt gripped the mirror stem tightly and did cut the vibration some.

Now to repeat the build with a non-rusting material.

I now have somewhere to mount a GPS or GoPro.