Turn signal problem - need help troubleshooting

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

misterbrackets

Turn signal problem - need help troubleshooting

Post by misterbrackets »

I did some searching through past turn-signal-related threads but wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for - so here's a new one!

Anyway, the problem:

The right turn signal has stopped working completely. Left signal is fine. I tested the bulbs and the switch and those check out ok.

So, I am wondering if there are any other components on the bike that would cause just ONE of the signals to go out. Or, if anyone knows of some common places to check wires, etc. I opened up the horncast and headset and examined the wires/connections - didn't see anything. But, with all the wires crammed in there, that's not saying much :)

Any ideas as to approach troubleshooting this? Or any obvious/accessible things I should check before heading down a trail of tears in search of a short in the pink wire?

(On a lighter note, I know older Vespas didn't even have signals and at least it still runs! But....... I'm not sure how many people still know what a right turn hand signal looks like anymore)

Thanks!!!!
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

(Back on after two weeks vacation)

I have the same issue on a new 4T. The right hand turn signals works very slowly. Is it a wiring / connection problem?

I hope to find time today to look at it.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Check the connections on all terminals by the lights. If that doesn't fix it then check the relay by the battery as a wire may have shook loose and 8amp the fuse by the battery.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Raputtak wrote:(Back on after two weeks vacation)

I have the same issue on a new 4T. The right hand turn signals works very slowly. Is it a wiring / connection problem?

I hope to find time today to look at it.
That sounds like something that would happen if one of the bulbs was burnt out. Is the light working on the instrument panel? I don't think it would be the flasher if it's only happening on one side. Hmmm....
Drum Pro wrote:Check the connections on all terminals by the lights. If that doesn't fix it then check the relay by the battery as a wire may have shook loose and 8amp the fuse by the battery.
I'll check the relay tonight --- you mean the cut out relay, not the flasher, correct? Would that just cause one side to not work? Thanks for the input.

Adding this resource that I found - some good troubleshooting info for faulty blinkers:
http://chinesescooterreference.com/jr/t ... torial.pdf
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Here's something that happened to me on my 08 and 09 Stellas, causing the turn sigs to get bunky.
Take off both cowls and look at the little black spring tip forward of the cowls. This black spring thing fits into the hole as the last part of putting the cowl back on before clamping it down.
On the tip of the black spring thing is a copper tip. Thats what makes the electrical connection to inside the bikes frame.
I had on 2 occasions, one of the copper contacts broke off..
And once that was repaired, the blinkers worked great again..
So, check your copper contact on the spring contact that goes into the body built into the front part of the cowl.
good luck

ps..if that's the case, write back and I'll tell ya how I fixed them.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Tada! The good folks at Scoot Richmond suggested that I look at the connection inside the glove box on the right. Bingo! A wire had come loose. I reconnected it and now the turn signals work just fine.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

jimmbomb wrote:Here's something that happened to me on my 08 and 09 Stellas, causing the turn sigs to get bunky.
Take off both cowls and look at the little black spring tip forward of the cowls. This black spring thing fits into the hole as the last part of putting the cowl back on before clamping it down.
On the tip of the black spring thing is a copper tip. Thats what makes the electrical connection to inside the bikes frame.
I had on 2 occasions, one of the copper contacts broke off..
And once that was repaired, the blinkers worked great again..
So, check your copper contact on the spring contact that goes into the body built into the front part of the cowl.
good luck

ps..if that's the case, write back and I'll tell ya how I fixed them.
Hey Thanks.... Wouldn't mind knowing how you fixed it - for the record - and future searches on the topic.

So, I DID find the problem last night after digging around through the wires under the headset and behind the horncast. (What a mess)

The pink wire was literally severed, a few inches down into the steering column. It wasn't noticeable at first, because the 3 blinker wires are in a sheath. Behind the horncast, I located the pink wire and shaved off a tiny bit of insulation on it so I could test that section with a multimeter, and voila---- It just started to pull out! Never even had to use the multimeter. Rather than replace the wire, I just fixed it, since it was midnight, had no extra wire, and I wanted to ride to work today. I expect to be fixing it again in the not so distant future :)

The nice thing about all this is that I not only found the problem, but learned how to fix 4 or 5 other blinker issues in the whole process. Haha
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

After we accidentally dropped our scoot we had this issue. The problem ended up being the cowl contact was loose due to a deformed side panel from being dropped. I've been fussing with bending the cowl lengthening the contact pulling out the spring in the body.....but I ended up stuffing a ball of foil in the contact on the body till I get more time to play with it.[/quote]
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Johnny O wrote:After we accidentally dropped our scoot we had this issue. The problem ended up being the cowl contact was loose due to a deformed side panel from being dropped. I've been fussing with bending the cowl lengthening the contact pulling out the spring in the body.....but I ended up stuffing a ball of foil in the contact on the body till I get more time to play with it.
[/quote]
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo
!!! Good fix....just change the foil if and when it comes loose.
My fix was to usr a finishing nail...cut it to about a half inch long...
Pull the wire thru..wrap bare wire around the nail, then jam it into the hole in the white plastic insulator..
Better than new...
Good job
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics