Hooligan first ride Report

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Motor46

Hooligan first ride Report

Post by Motor46 »

I took delivery 7:30pm last night. after a brief intro. took her for a spin.

At half throttle it sped up to 40mph quickly backed off to 1/3 throttle and cruised at 40 no sweat...

Shocks and seat are vary firm, Quick to turn in and out of turns, Breaks good.

All electric no kick starter. I love this scooter, some of my Harley Rider Buds took it for a spin also. Everyone commented on the new scoot.

I think the fuel tank is 7.0 L = 1.84 gallons US I put 1.1 gal. in this morning , from 3 bars to full. deep in the fill spout there is a small ring, the nozzle fit in the ring and the boot around the gas pump filler spout compressed for easy fueling .. in short I didn't have to hold the boot back to fuel up . I stopped fueling before it could Puke Gas all over.

Yes 91 octane US, oh well I guess I can afford to by a a gallon and a half
on this fuel stingy machine.
Just because I let you kiss me, doesn't mean you can ride my scooter!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wow! So how would you compare it's ride and handing to a Buddy?

Oh, yeah, and pics or it didn't happen! :lol:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Motor46

Post by Motor46 »

Can not compare the Hooligan to a Buddy because I never rode a Buddy.
Can compare to a BMS 150 lets see.
2 wheels : Check
Handlebars : Check
Twist n go : ChecK
THATS ABOUT IT

THE GENUINE HOOLIGAN
Feels solid, well planted, longer than a Buddy.
Ajustable rear shockes.
Much more for about $100.00 more than the Buddy 170cc I compared at the dealer.
However I believe everyone should see and judge for themselves don't take my word for it.

I read many posts on many forums on every scooter I could think of before even went to look at the Genuine Scooter Line-up

sorry no pics.
Just because I let you kiss me, doesn't mean you can ride my scooter!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

No pics! Go stand in the corner and think about what you have not done. :P
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

agrogod wrote:No pics! Go stand in the corner and think about what you have not done. :P
Preferably get someone to get a pic of you ON the Hooligan!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

agrogod wrote:No pics! Go stand in the corner and think about what you have not done. :P
Truth!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Whimscootie wrote:pics or it didn't happen!
And that's how it is! :twisted:
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

Jealous.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I've got 3 Genuine dealers within 2 hours of me.

Guess I'll have to mosey over to see one in person!

The suspense of how it feels, fits, and rides is driving me psycho and turning me into a hooligan!

:lol:
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Whimscootie, that was Genuine-ly funny!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

OldGuy wrote:Whimscootie, that was Genuine-ly funny!
Thanks, Buddy!

:P
Last edited by Whimscootie on Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I have to admit I saw that coming. Still, I congratulate you on your Stella-R sense of humor!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

OldGuy wrote:I have to admit I saw that coming. Still, I congratulate you on your Stella-R sense of humor!
:lol:
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Ok you guys, stop Roughhouse-ing around. This started as a serious post. :P
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You guys have me ROFLMAO.
And I bumped my head in doing so.
Kiss my BuBu and make it better!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Awww, is your poor Lemonhead bruised? Turning all blue and Black, Cat?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

This whole thread is a Blur........
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

My friendly neighborhood scooter shop has a Hoolgans in green and black on the floor. Checked them out on Saturday when I picked up my Yager from a scheduled service. It looks pretty sharp in person! I think Genuine did a good job of cherry picking from the X-Hot and Libra parts bins.

I didn't ask for a test ride, but I did ask the mechanic's opinion of it. He indicated that it wasn't as quick off the line or as agile as a Buddy, but that it had a solid ride quality and that it was faster on the top end. Might have to try it myself next time I'm in putting money down on my Stella.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
gilligan5000

Zuma?

Post by gilligan5000 »

As a Yamaha Zuma rider ...I think I am going to LOVE this thing. More power, more top end speed, more storage, and quite frankly it's practically a clone to the non us Zuma (BWS 125) in the looks department!

I'm half tempted to see if I can sell the Zuma and pick one of these up ASAP...I don't think they will be on the showroom floors for long.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I have a demo Hooligan I'm riding while the dealer gets to my Vespa GTS 300 first service. Jumping off the 300 and onto the Hooligan it's easy to compare those two. The Hooligan feels a lot lighter. It runs only slightly less smooth than the Vespa but there is no wobble at 35 mph like my Vespa and many others have. I like the Hooligan. It is a good tween scooter that would do fine in the city or commuting where you ride the highway. The OD green makes it look tough, but then it is still a scooter.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-revi ... igan-170i/

I'm digging it. No kick start though. Still haven't found a decently priced Vespa, and I'm itching to upgrade from the Buddy 50. Now I have to consider another scoot......I've read that if a human has more than 3 choices when making a decision they always make a bad choice. :?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

It can be. That is why you need at least 2 bikes. I like a 50cc scooter because it is so easy to move in and out of the garage, gets great mileage and isn't too pricey, so I might just keep the little Buddy. Then you have to ask what else you need or want. Interstate capability? For a couple of exits, the Hooligan would be fine, but it has to work too hard probably for routine high-speed travel. The Vespa 300 does the freeways just fine. You can just hang out in the center lane and go 70 mph. Top speed is about 80 mph. Traveling on a 50 cc scooter is an adventure. You can always take bike routes and get anywhere. I used to ride into San Antonio taking access roads when I had a 50cc scooter. Not as fast, but still fun.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

dkw12002 wrote:It can be. That is why you need at least 2 bikes. I like a 50cc scooter because it is so easy to move in and out of the garage, gets great mileage and isn't too pricey, so I might just keep the little Buddy. Then you have to ask what else you need or want. Interstate capability? For a couple of exits, the Hooligan would be fine, but it has to work too hard probably for routine high-speed travel. The Vespa 300 does the freeways just fine. You can just hang out in the center lane and go 70 mph. Top speed is about 80 mph. Traveling on a 50 cc scooter is an adventure. You can always take bike routes and get anywhere. I used to ride into San Antonio taking access roads when I had a 50cc scooter. Not as fast, but still fun.
Excellent points as I've thought of them myself! :P

One reviewer I read said they experienced the Hooligan as a "step above" a Buddy in size and handling. A "small maxi scoot". I can't imagine that.

Did you experience it as a much bigger scoot than the Buddy?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Whimscootie wrote: One reviewer I read said they experienced the Hooligan as a "step above" a Buddy in size and handling. A "small maxi scoot". I can't imagine that.

Did you experience it as a much bigger scoot than the Buddy?
It'll feel bigger. The 12" wheels will slow the turn rate a little and the acceleration a little. The fork angle is definitely more raked than the Buddy, so it will be a bit more stable at higher speeds, but will again feel less agile. The floorboard space is very good and the flat floor feels markedly more spacious than the Buddy's curved floor and with the cargo net and tie-down hooks, it'll carry things even better than a Buddy would.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Spent some time looking over the Hooligans at my local dealer last night. I was originally put off somewhat by the headlamp config, but in person, the bike is pretty nice. In fact, the flat green one looks like it belongs in the game Halo, with it's angular green panels and utilitarian black fittings. If I find myself with money to burn once the 4T is paid for, I would definitiely consider one.

Cool thing:

When you switch the bike on and the dashboard initializes, it displays "GSC" on the display before showing mileage and other data. Nice detail, Genuine.

Odd thing:

When you turn the bike on, the taillamp is off. The taillamp doesn't come on until the engine is running. I found this surprising, as I thought that federal requirements in the '70s required that the stop lamp, running lamp and signals had to be powered by a battery instead of the engine. That's why we had AC/DC bikes with batteries while other parts of the world could go batteryless with AC-only electricals. I could be talking out of my butt on this, though. Anyone else have some knowledge on this?

dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

It's longer and taller than a Buddy, but you still are close to the handlebars. The seat is taller. I test rode a Buddy 170i with the same engine and performance is about the same with the same engine. Just a different look. I actually like the lighter weight vs. a maxi scooter, plus I hate that hump most of the maxi-scooters have that you have to somehow get your leg over. Plus you lose the flat floorboard for hauling stuff.

The chief mechanic at af1 racing said there were several mods you could do to the Hooligan to increase performance, since that is how he thinks, but I seldom go there, instead buying pretty much what I want from the get go. The Hooligan looks enough different from my Vespa, that I would like one, but am out of garage space. Sure looks and feels like a good scooter.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rsrider wrote:I'm digging it. No kick start though.
No kick start on the Buddy 170i either (or on any fuel injected scooter, for that matter)
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Dooglas wrote:
rsrider wrote:I'm digging it. No kick start though.
No kick start on the Buddy 170i either (or on any fuel injected scooter, for that matter)
Not true!

My little FI C3 has a kickstarter!

Well done, Yamaha!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Let's be honest folks, a kickstart on a fuel-injected scoot is a bit pointless.

If you don't have the juice to turn the starter, you probably don't have the juice to run the fuel pump, power up the ECU and fire the injector. The requirements are a bit more involved than a carbureted bike, where contoured shapes, gravity and intake vacuum facilitate fuel delivery.

If you want peace of mind, lose the wet-cell battery and drop an name-brand AGM battery in there. Try MotoBatt. Add a trickle charging plug if you're really worried. Get a decent set of motorcycle jumper cables.

Admittedly, this won't prevent a starter failure. Starter failures are generally born out of neglect. The gear teeth need cleaning every now and then. Starter clutches can get munged up (unless they designed to be located inside the crankcase, away from road and beltcase grime). Have it cleaned and lubricated when your scoot's in for a 5K or 10K service. Keep the starter's electrical contacts clean and put a bit of bulb grease or Vaseline on them to keep then corrosion-resistant.

The Honda Elite was built from '85-'07 and they never came with a kickstarter. Neither did the long-lived and legendary Helix. IMO, a kickstarter on a modern bike suggests that even the manufacturer isn't confident in the reliability of their product. Admittedly, as a fan of more mechanical interactions with my machinery, I also see it as another interface to use...I ride old Vespas and there isn't a starter motor to worry about. On current machines, I'd like to see that the manufacturer has confidence in their product and that they don't feel that you have to have a "Plan B" installed from the get-go.

I ran this mental exercise when I bought the Yager. No kicker and an electronically-dependent fuelling system, effectively more reliance on a good battery and starter. I've had kickstart-free scooters for a while, but in my mind, if you could jump it off, you could carry on. On the Yager, the potential fault points were more numerous. Now 8018 miles later, the bike has never failed to start due to a electrical issue, irrespective of temperature or time idle. I call it the "car", because I trust it to be as uncomplicated as any Toyota or Honda.

So, to sum up my rambling, the technology's there, people. You can trust it to work unless you neglect manufacturer's service or fail to stay on top of things yourself. We put gas in when it's empty, we replace tires when they're bald, we replace belts and rollers when they wear down. Why not think of electronics as a maintenance item and have it checked / check it out every now and then instead of ignoring it until it fails?

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

az_slynch wrote:Let's be honest folks, a kickstart on a fuel-injected scoot is a bit pointless.

If you don't have the juice to turn the starter, you probably don't have the juice to run the fuel pump, power up the ECU and fire the injector. The requirements are a bit more involved than a carbureted bike, where contoured shapes, gravity and intake vacuum facilitate fuel delivery.

If you want peace of mind, lose the wet-cell battery and drop an name-brand AGM battery in there. Try MotoBatt. Add a trickle charging plug if you're really worried. Get a decent set of motorcycle jumper cables.

Admittedly, this won't prevent a starter failure. Starter failures are generally born out of neglect. The gear teeth need cleaning every now and then. Starter clutches can get munged up (unless they designed to be located inside the crankcase, away from road and beltcase grime). Have it cleaned and lubricated when your scoot's in for a 5K or 10K service. Keep the starter's electrical contacts clean and put a bit of bulb grease or Vaseline on them to keep then corrosion-resistant.

The Honda Elite was built from '85-'07 and they never came with a kickstarter. Neither did the long-lived and legendary Helix. IMO, a kickstarter on a modern bike suggests that even the manufacturer isn't confident in the reliability of their product. Admittedly, as a fan of more mechanical interactions with my machinery, I also see it as another interface to use...I ride old Vespas and there isn't a starter motor to worry about. On current machines, I'd like to see that the manufacturer has confidence in their product and that they don't feel that you have to have a "Plan B" installed from the get-go.

I ran this mental exercise when I bought the Yager. No kicker and an electronically-dependent fuelling system, effectively more reliance on a good battery and starter. I've had kickstart-free scooters for a while, but in my mind, if you could jump it off, you could carry on. On the Yager, the potential fault points were more numerous. Now 8018 miles later, the bike has never failed to start due to a electrical issue, irrespective of temperature or time idle. I call it the "car", because I trust it to be as uncomplicated as any Toyota or Honda.

So, to sum up my rambling, the technology's there, people. You can trust it to work unless you neglect manufacturer's service or fail to stay on top of things yourself. We put gas in when it's empty, we replace tires when they're bald, we replace belts and rollers when they wear down. Why not think of electronics as a maintenance item and have it checked / check it out every now and then instead of ignoring it until it fails?
Wow. That was an interesting rant.

Are the Honda Elite and Helix fuel injected or carbureted scooters? I'm not sure if you're offering them as examples of carbureted scoots that don't have a kickstart or simply as examples of FI'ed scoots which otherwise don't come with a kickstart.

I'm personally thankful for the kickstart on all of my Buddies (all carbureted). I've used it to kick start each of my scooter on one or more occasions. On the Blackjack 183cc it has turned out to be extremely useful to position the cylinder at top dead center for easier starting. The big bore cylinder on the Blackjack is difficult to start, even with an upgraded starter, but it almost always starts on the first turn when the piston is pre-position to TDC.

Please don't take away my kickstart! ;)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The Elite 80s and Helices were carbureted, they just didn't have kickstarters.

I just find it odd that folks are fretting about the lack of a kickstarter on a scooter with electronic fuel injection. If the battery's dead or you have an electrical problem, you can kick it until your leg falls off and it's never going to start. Just need to find peace with the EFI and it's lack of a kicker.

Don't worry, I get kickstarters. I have several bikes with them. :lol:

Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

''Rant'' is right!

I like my kickstarters too and I've used them a time or two and been glad to have them.

Saying a kickstarter is over kill is like saying disk brakes are over kill.

Maybe to some, but I like them too! LOL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

*sigh*

Still missing the key points.

1) Kickstarting a carbuated bike is not the same as kickstarting a fuel injected bike.

2) If you have no juice to start the bike, you probably don't have juice to run the ECU (fuel system brain), run the electric fuel pump or pulse the fuel injector. There are other parts in there than need juice to work too, but those are the key parts.

3) You cannot start a fuel injected bike without those electronics powered up. Kicking the motor over will not energize those parts enough to run.

4) The Hooligan has an electronic fuel injection system. That's how Genuine built it.

This is not the same as disk brakes versus drum brakes. This is more analogous to people lamenting the loss of the hand shifter with the coming of the Automatic Stella. You're losing a function you like, but don't need, due to the advance of technology.

My apologies for derailing the thread. I actually like the Hooligan and if I could afford one today, I'd buy one.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

All of which is why I'd love to see someone mount a 125/150 CVT cover (with kicker) on a 170, and fab up a little 12v power pack that could be plugged into the accessory socket to energize the pump and brain for long enough to kick. Think it would start? :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

PeteH wrote:All of which is why I'd love to see someone mount a 125/150 CVT cover (with kicker) on a 170, and fab up a little 12v power pack that could be plugged into the accessory socket to energize the pump and brain for long enough to kick. Think it would start? :D
Not with that CVT cover. You'll need a kicker cover for a Blur 150 to even try it. Long case motor. :wink:

Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

az_slynch wrote:*sigh*

Still missing the key points.

1) Kickstarting a carbuated bike is not the same as kickstarting a fuel injected bike.

2) If you have no juice to start the bike, you probably don't have juice to run the ECU (fuel system brain), run the electric fuel pump or pulse the fuel injector. There are other parts in there than need juice to work too, but those are the key parts.

3) You cannot start a fuel injected bike without those electronics powered up. Kicking the motor over will not energize those parts enough to run.

4) The Hooligan has an electronic fuel injection system. That's how Genuine built it.

This is not the same as disk brakes versus drum brakes. This is more analogous to people lamenting the loss of the hand shifter with the coming of the Automatic Stella. You're losing a function you like, but don't need, due to the advance of technology.

My apologies for derailing the thread. I actually like the Hooligan and if I could afford one today, I'd buy one.
Got it!
Last edited by Whimscootie on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Getting back on track, I went by my local dealer again today to order a few small bits for the Yager. While I was there, I asked for a test-ride on one of the Hooligans. The bike had 111 miles on it already, so I wasn't too worried about going too easy on it.

Acceleration cannot be compared directly to the Buddy via "gut-check". By watching the digital speedometer count up to 40mph indicated, acceleration is pretty darn brisk. If you ignore the speedometer, it seems slow due to high engine RPM. The motor winds clean over 7K RPM during acceleration, but forward momentum of the scooter doesn't seem to "line-up" with the furious pace of the motor. This could be indicative that a heavier set of rollers might calm the motor and provide more believable acceleration.

While zipping around, I did see an indicated 60mph on the speedometer. I suspect that despite having a digital speedometer, the displayed speed is a bit ambitious, not unlike the Buddy's analog speedometer. I overtook a car in a 40mph zone with 55mph indicated on the speedometer, and the rate of overtake was definitely not as brisk as one would expect with a 15mph speed advantage. This discrepancy was noticeable throughout my test ride while travelling in traffic, yet not as perceptible as during that overtaking maneuver.

Handling on the Hooligan is better than I was expecting. As expected, the turn-in rate is slower than the Buddy, largely in part of the larger front wheel and the greater rake angle of the fork. The handlebars are only slightly wider than the Buddy (~ 1" greater) and the "bar end" inserts are fake. They're simply rubber extrusions of the handlebar grip and add no appreciable mass to the bar ends. As a result, steering the Hooligan feels heavier and takes more rider effort to initiate a turn. In order to find a reason for this heavy steering feel, I looked at several other scooters on the floor and found that the Kymco Super 8 had similar handlebar dimensions and a similar rake angle of the fork. Compared to the Hooligan, the Super 8 is easier to turn. The most visible difference is that the Super 8 has 200gr bar-end weights fitted to it. I don't believe that Genuine installs bar-end weights on any of the scoots in their line-up, but I think they should really look into fitting a set to the Hooligan. I discussed this with my dealer and we might try it just to see if it helps much. Despite the heavy steering feel, the Hooligan is plenty agile when slaloming the bike around potholes and raised sewer covers. It takes little effort to make lateral movements; flicking side-to-side doesn't take an appreciable change in effort compared to flicking a Buddy around despite weighing 35 pounds more.

Braking is really good on the Hooligan. It'll haul down in a big hurry thanks to the dual discs. To be honest, I think the front brake is almost *too* good. In hard stopping situations it's easier to lock up the front wheel than the rear. I don't fault the brake here; the front end of the Hooligan is pretty light (sort of like a Kymco Agility 125). Like the Buddy, a measured squeeze of the front brake is recommended during hard stops.

The ride quality is great. The 12" wheels handle irregularities in the road surface with less fuss than most 10" wheels do. The suspension isn't too stiff and will probably become even more comfortable once the forks and shocks break in.

I really like the Hooligan in the ergonomics department. The seat is very comfortable and has room for rider adjustment. The floorboard is spacious and very usable. I like the contouring in the front of the floorboard where it rises to the legshield; there are well-shaped nooks to locate the toes of the rider's shoes/boots. Legroom between the bars and the floorboard is very good for the scooter's size. Handlebar position is familiar to Buddy riders, but might feel a touch low to riders with longer torsos. Gauges are easy to read; I will admit that I'm glad that Genuine decided to add an analog-sweep tachometer. Touch buttons for the speedometer display are easily accessed by the rider and have a very industrial look, but could use some labeling. The gear slot is tinier than that of the Buddy, but underseat storage is very good. The battery is installed in the back of the storage bucket which does hurt space a little (BTW, it's a water battery included. Just get a gel battery from the get-go and be happy :wink: ).

To sum it up, it's a pretty darn good scooter in most areas. I'd call it a "Jeep-styled Blur" more than a beefed-up Buddy. Genuine, if you read this, fine-tune the rollers and add some bar ends. It'll make a really good scooter even better!
Last edited by az_slynch on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I am disheartened that a buddy would make this thread into such a blur. :twisted: Did someone get a bubu? So sorry. Don't roughhouse. If a bad taste is left try a LEMONHEAD.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I didn't ride one, but I saw a couple Hooligans at the dealership. So for those longing to see a candid photo of one.....

dowlf

Post by dowlf »

I took ownership of a green Hooligan on Wednesday, this isn't a very good photo, but it is from my ride yesterday. Raining today. My first scooter. I am very happy with it so far. Having a lot of fun riding it around.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I love that green!

Congrats on the new scoot!

:D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

our local dealer and I had planned on swapping bikes for a Club ride, but time didn't allow.

So I did a very brief test ride of the Hooligan.

Very fast, nimble, great suspension. It's made to be ridden like you stole it. The brakes are about 10x better than a stock Buddy.

Dislikes:

The dash is pretty much unreadable in daylight. Needs a bright LED backdrop of some kind.

I'll look to do a more thorough review at some point.
Boscowtx

Post by Boscowtx »

Just picked my Hooligan, in Titiaum color, very good ride. Traded my buddy in, this scooter has an exceptional ride compared to the buddy
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Nice fat tires!
jasonblum

My review of the Hooligan on Just Gotta Scoot

Post by jasonblum »

Just wanted to share link to my review of the Hooligan on Just Gotta Scoot:

http://www.justgottascoot.com/hooligan1 ... #JasonBlum

+1 on setting up a dedicated Hooligan forum. I'm a complete newbie and have tons of questions, but Hooligan related posts seem to be all over the place.

Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I'm still loving my Hooligan. I took it to a club rally in the Texas Hill Country and it flies over the hills and is fun on dirt roads. I actually ride it more than I ride my Vespa 300.
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

I love my Hooligan. I have a green one and added the rear rack, color matched top case, and windshield.

The Hooligan really doesn't start to break in until about 500 miles where it becomes noticeably looser. It also gets faster. When I first got it, it would struggle to accelerate past 55mph indicated and would top out at 59 mph.
Now, with 700 miles on it, it will accelerate smoothly up to 66 mph indicated.

I'm 5'11" and it fits me much better than a Buddy sized scooter. I like the fact that I can turn the handle bars lock to lock without the handle bars banging into my knees.

I live in sunny Florida and do not have any issues seeing the digital speedometer in bright sunlight, although the tinted windshield may be helping in this respect.

Happy Scooting!
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Mine just reached 650 on the odometer. It zooms to 50mph then creeps to 55 (GPS speed). It is very affected by headwinds and inclines.

I am hoping it will speed up as it acquires more miles. However, I did not buy it for speed but for Rally Gymkhanas. I have yet to take it on one! It seems pretty agile in my driveway.

The digital speedometer is woefully inaccurate. It reads 64 mph at 55 (GPS). Why do they do that? My Dodge truck is spot on. Our Lexus is about 2 mph eager. I read someplace (Stella manual?) that they do it so "riders think that they are going fast. This keeps their speed to a safe level" (Or some such rubbishy statement).
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I wonder how many of these have been sold? R
jasonblum

Oil filter for the Hooligan?

Post by jasonblum »

Just got off the phone with http://scooterworks.com/ who says "the Hooligan doesn't have an oil filter." Meanwhile https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts ... duct=57228 claims to be the filter for Hooligans.

Im completely new to scooters but would like to take a crack at routine maintenance, but can't even figure out whether and how to change the oil filter?

The manual says only to change after first 200 miles - no mention of the filter. http://www.genuinescooters.com/genuine_faqs.html otoh says says to get the first service at 500 miles.

Love this scooter but Genuine, seriously, why is this so hard?