NSR caught in a gunfight!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

poop colored buddy

NSR caught in a gunfight!

Post by poop colored buddy »

so I'm driving my cage last night in mesa AZ going to WALMART. I'm driving down this small side street when I see about 8 cop cars blazing towards me. I pull over to let them by and a car coming in the oposite direction slows down and comes to a stop behind me about 20 feet on the other side of the street. I assumed it was to let the police by as well, I was wrong. The cops come sliding to a halt all around me and I see the guy get out of his car and I hear a BOOM BOOM BOOM. I then hear about 40 to 50 gunshots erupt from all the officers and apparently 2 people that were in the car. I hit the gas and raced out of there while all the shots were being fired. I guess the guy car jacked someone at gun point and and robbed some store. When the cops saw the vehicle they tried to pull it over and a chase ensued. I missed the chase part, but happened to be at the exact place he chose to stop the car and have a wildwest shootout with the law. The cops killed him and aressted the other person. CRAZY! I can't believe this happened to me! I'm glad I wasn't on the scoot! My street is still closed down today.
I have the scoots!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Whoa. There have been two similar incidents near me recently, but I missed them (thankfully) by about 5-10 minutes.

If you were on your scoot though, you could've jumped the curb and fish tailed into the bad dude, knocking him over so the cops could apprehend him while you come to a safe stop with your wheels on his chest. Strike a victorious pose and collect the glory.

Buddys would make great crime fighters.
awfulshot

Post by awfulshot »

(what do all of these NSR topics's stand for?)

sounds pretty crazy.. glad there were no stray bullets
-Travis
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

jmazza wrote:Whoa. There have been two similar incidents near me recently, but I missed them (thankfully) by about 5-10 minutes.

If you were on your scoot though, you could've jumped the curb and fish tailed into the bad dude, knocking him over so the cops could apprehend him while you come to a safe stop with your wheels on his chest. Strike a victorious pose and collect the glory.

Buddys would make great crime fighters.
Well, his helmet would've stopped the bullets and maybe bounced them back into the shooter, so that part's okay. But poor Buddy prolly would've been shot thru and thru to lay dying in a pool of oil before all was done here..
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

awful, NSR=Not Scooter Related

Poopster,
that sounds like the kind of thing that will be very funny in a few weeks telling the tale around a few beers !

Glad you are OK.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Guess you have some pop colored panties now too! :D
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

where do you peaple live? drive bys cop chases etc..... scary
rajron

Post by rajron »

Holy Cow!
Syd

Re: NSR caught in a gunfight!

Post by Syd »

poop colored buddy wrote:so I'm driving my cage last night in mesa AZ going to WALMART...
As you may have deduced by now, there are two lessons to be learned from this experience.

1. That's what you get for driving a car.

2. That's what you get for going to WalMart.

:wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

justscooten wrote:where do you peaple live? drive bys cop chases etc..... scary
Across the field you see the sky ripped open
See the rain come through the gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children who run into the arms of america
redcass

Post by redcass »

Syd wrote:As you may have deduced by now, there are two lessons to be learned from this experience.

:rofl:
RedCass
Dave

Post by Dave »

From azcentral:

Man shot by police identified; more details released

Senta Scarborough
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 11, 2008 06:16 AM
Police have identified the carjacking and armed robbery suspect who died during a shootout with Mesa and Tempe police Sunday evening as 27-year-old Jaime Martinez.

Mesa police also identified Martinez's female accomplice as 34-year-old Sawajee M. Chiquette.

Both suspects are Mesa residents.

Police said the incident started about 8:25 p.m. when Martinez and Chiquette carjacked the driver of a Hyundai Sonata at gunpoint in the 2600 block of East Don Carlos Avenue in Tempe.

They drove the car to Mesa where they robbed two juveniles ages 15 and 16 in the 800 block of South Pasadena Circle, Mesa police spokesman Detective Chris Arvayo said.

During the armed robbery, police believe Chiquette was driving the car and pulled up beside the juveniles and Martinez got out of the car. Martinez reportedly pointed a gun directly at the head of one of the victims and told him to give him what he had, Arvayo said.

The victim gave Martinez property and Martinez pulled the trigger but the gun wouldn't fire, Arvayo said. Martinez then pointed the gun at the other victim's head and pulled the trigger, but the gun didn't fire.

Martinez fired a shot in the air while Chiquette drove the stolen vehicle from the scene.

A short time later, Mesa and Tempe officers located the car and attempted to pull it over near Standage and Vine, Arvayo said. As the suspects drove through the residential neighborhood, Martinez leaned out of the passenger side and fired at least two shots toward the police vehicles.

When the car slowed down near Seventh Drive and Longmore, Martinez and Chiquette jumped out of their cars, Arvayo said.

That's when Martinez fired several shots at Mesa and Tempe officers, who returned fired and shot and killed him, Arvayo said. Chiquette was taken into custody and booked on numerous felony charges. Chiquette was booked on suspicion of armed robbery, aggravated assault and unlawful flight from law enforcement. Four Mesa police officers and at least one Tempe police officer fired shots during the gun battle, Arvayo said.

During the incident, a Mesa police cruiser ran over a Tempe officer's foot, breaking his ankle, Arvayo said.

Investigators found at least one home in the neighborhood was struck by gunfire, but no one was injured, Arvayo said.

Mesa and Tempe are investigating and each agency will conduct its own internal affairs investigation, Arvayo said.
poop colored buddy

Syd wrote:
poop colored buddy wrote:so I'm driving my cage last night in mesa AZ going to WALMART...
As you may have deduced by now, there are two lessons to be learned from this experience.

.......I should have known better!
:rofl:
I have the scoots!
poop colored buddy

dave! Wow man, thanks for finding that article! I can't believe I was there when it all went down! It was like watching the movie "Heat" only real. The poor wife was crying and all innocently said "are those gunshots?" while the cops are blasting the guy. While we sped off from the flying bullets I said "that was awesome" and proceded to get punched by the tiny fists of fury seated next to me.
I have the scoots!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I would just like to note that although I live in Los Angeles, a big scary city, and though the biggest police gunfight of the past few decades happened just miles from my house, I have never had an experience like this here.

Maybe it's because there are few to no WalMarts in the area?
Syd wrote:

Right on.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I heard about that on the news too- Maybe you should just get an armored jacket made of Kevlar. Double safe!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Be nice to Walmart, they are the only store in our area that provides motorcycle/scooter parking. 8)
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
redcass

Post by redcass »

pcbikedude wrote:Be nice to Walmart, they are the only store in our area that provides motorcycle/scooter parking. 8)
It's great that they do that, but it isn't enough for me to change my opinion of the company. :evil:

Anyway...wouldn't adding more m/s parking be easy? Just divide up existing spots with more lines?
RedCass
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

redcass wrote:It's great that they do that, but it isn't enough for me to change my opinion of the company. :evil:

Anyway...wouldn't adding more m/s parking be easy? Just divide up existing spots with more lines?
You would think so, but no one else does it. Maybe Walmart wants the business more?
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
littleao

Post by littleao »

Hoppsan
Last edited by littleao on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

You are extremely lucky!

Most cops can't shoot worth the first third of your screen name (I know, I am a cop), and when lack of skill meets lack of mental preparation the tendancy is to keep shooting until your gun is empty. A couple degrees off target at the muzzle of the gun can translate into many feet off target down range.

I was in a similar situation about a year ago. It is scary as all get out, and can have long term side effects. You seem to be dealing with it fine, but if you, or your wife, need to talk pm me and I'll send you my number and a list of warning signs to look keep an eye on. Remember, the cops who were there will get a psych debriefing, and have therapy available to them. They will have a lot of cops who have been involved in shootings looking out for them. You and your wife were in the same situation, and in more danger. It is a good idea to talk to someone about what you dealt with, even if it is just between yourselves.

I am glad you and your wife are ok.

Kyle
shark

Post by shark »

I rode the Buddy to WalMart today and sustained no gunshot wounds.

It was a good day!! 8)
...and I had hotlinks for dinner!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

...rode my new "Mad Max" style scoot to WalMart today. Children screamed, dogs barked, women wept. Men glared and hustled their families quickly from the area.

I was gratified. Pics to come...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
poop colored buddy

Wiggins wrote:You are extremely lucky!

Most cops can't shoot worth the first third of your screen name (I know, I am a cop), and when lack of skill meets lack of mental preparation the tendancy is to keep shooting until your gun is empty. A couple degrees off target at the muzzle of the gun can translate into many feet off target down range.

I was in a similar situation about a year ago. It is scary as all get out, and can have long term side effects. You seem to be dealing with it fine, but if you, or your wife, need to talk pm me and I'll send you my number and a list of warning signs to look keep an eye on. Remember, the cops who were there will get a psych debriefing, and have therapy available to them. They will have a lot of cops who have been involved in shootings looking out for them. You and your wife were in the same situation, and in more danger. It is a good idea to talk to someone about what you dealt with, even if it is just between yourselves.

I am glad you and your wife are ok.

Kyle
Hey man that is way cool of you! Thankfully my wife saw a lot of the action, but did not see the shooting of the guy, she just heard the booms and had her head down. I actually was alone with a guy who died on the side of the road in a car crash a few years back, and that was really hard for me for a while. Talking to people about that has caused me to realize that our bodies are just machines, and enough damage just causes them to shut down. It happens. And this guy made that decision when he decided to be an idiot. Thank you for your kindness in offering that to me, but it didn't seems to bother me that much this time, its sad, but life goes on.
I have the scoots!
poop colored buddy

Keys wrote:...rode my new "Mad Max" style scoot to WalMart today. Children screamed, dogs barked, women wept. Men glared and hustled their families quickly from the area.

I was gratified. Pics to come...

--Keys 8)
I need to see this beast in all of its glory.
I have the scoots!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Be nice to Walmart, they are the only store in our area that provides motorcycle/scooter parking.
Target just has no curbs in front of it's store! Most stores have a handicap ramp access you can use and then just park on the sidewalk away from the traffic flow! It all works! :D

Down with Walmart! :shock:

Glad Poop & family came out ok.
jradanov

Post by jradanov »

I can't help thinking it's not only Walmart's fault but the Chinese too. I have no specific proof, just a hunch.

John
Keys

Post by Keys »

Okay...here are the pics...

--Keys 8) Image
Last edited by Keys on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Keys

Post by Keys »

...scary, huh?

--Keys 8)
Last edited by Keys on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
poop colored buddy

board up the windows, bolt the doors, fathers hide your daughters! Here comes the beast!
I have the scoots!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Wow!
…..the beast!……….. mommas grab their children, dogs bark and babies cry.
shark

Post by shark »

That is one mean beast!!!!
If I were a child I would cry too!! :cry:
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Yep, a kilt will highlight that nicely, drawing attention to what matters.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Can you buy a Bazooka as an accessorie for that thing?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've been trying to find some photon torpedoes on ebay, but haven't been too successful...something about my flux capacitor being too old a model and is incompatible with either a phaser bank or a photon torpedo array.

--Keys 8)