Met with the Owners of Genuine - Good Guys

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elder Scoot

Met with the Owners of Genuine - Good Guys

Post by Elder Scoot »

I met with some of the principals of Genuine at Amerivespa. They had a number of new Stella automatics on display and they even gave one away at the raffle. They are proud of the new Stella and serious about its success. They are aware that some of the new bikes had a bad CPU and they believe the new CPUs will work well. My Stella auto got a good deal of attention and ran very strong with the pack of over 500 scooters. It was a great deal of fun.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Very cool!

When I told my dealer I thought my ECU had issues, Genuine sent him the replacement even before I could take the bike in. I'm really impressed with them as a company so far!

They're pretty active on social media too. I get the strong impression that "feel the love, it's genuine" isn't just a slogan.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

You ask them when the Stella 200 is coming? :D
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:You ask them when the Stella 200 is coming? :D
I get the sense that Genuine's efforts right now are marketing the Stella automatic. That bike is a mainstream product that is typical of the vast majority of scooters sold in Europe and North America. The possibility that the 150 4T might be a special order item only in the future to me precludes the notion of bringing in a 200 shift bike. It costs a ton of money and time to bring a new vehicle into the U.S. and why bring in a bike that would be a special order item too?

Thus, I would not hold my breath waiting unless that is something you like to do anyway. :lol:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I met Phil McCaleb when he came to town for the Genuine Appreciation Ride. Very genial guy, very certain that the automatic scooters were the future. From our conversation, I didn't get the impression that the manual bikes were going to be around much longer. Can't say that I was thrilled to hear that, but such is the march of progress.

The Stellauto needs a boost in Tucson. Neither of the first two received (one red, one black) haven't been sold. They're just hanging out with the 4T two-tone manuals on the floor. Not the expectation when this was supposed to be the "it" scooter.

I have given them a good look-over and tried to have an open mind about them, but I'm failing to see the hoopla. The wiring's a rat's nest and the side cowls are far too fiddly to install for the average rider. On the demo bikes, several bolts fell out on test rides for the debut of the Stellauto.
Operation may be easier that a 4T manual, but this bike is still a long way away from being as superb as the Buddy line. I hope Genuine will put as much effort into QA of the next batch as they are putting into marketing them.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...