New member/owner, A few Questions too!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mkydsm

New member/owner, A few Questions too!

Post by mkydsm »

Hello,

First time posting, but I have explored the site in detail. I decided against getting another motorcycle to navigate Chicago, and pulled the trigger on a brand new Buddy 170i, the black murder machine variety of course! (oxford green a close second choice).

A few quick questions (I am aware I can search, but I am lazy):

The dealer recommended the initial 500 mile service, but the scooter advises an oil change at 200m. Would it be wise to do both?

The plastic cover on the handlebars/speedo sounds like its vibrating against something when under load, its small but it really bugs me. Is this something I can easily investigate myself? I tried tightening the bolt underneath, but quickly realized a screw so obvious would serve another purpose- the headlight adjustment.

Lastly, any tips for carrying stuff like groceries, bags, gear, fishing poles, etc?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to breaking this thing in!
Attachments
my buddy.jpg
my buddy.jpg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Yeah, on my Blackjack it has the same buzzing from the handlebar plastics. For me it's more apparent at idle, depending on temp. Still there but doesn't bug me so much any more.

Next time I have the handlebar cover off, I plan to apply some Dynamat alternative (Peel & Seal flashing, avaliable at Lowe's) to kill the vibration. I put a layer of this stuff under the front cover. Sounds more solid now going under rough pavement.

There's a how to on the tech library on removing the handlbar plastics. Also check out Mitch Bergsma (MicBergsma) on youtube for a how to on this (www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgjdqM8pylM)
Dooglas

Re: New member/owner, A few Questions too!

Post by Dooglas »

mkydsm wrote:The dealer recommended the initial 500 mile service, but the scooter advises an oil change at 200m. Would it be wise to do both?
The first service only has to be done once. Some (like your dealer) recommend waiting a little longer before doing it. Your call.

I see your scooter already has a rear rack. I would suggest a milk crate for cargo space. They are inexpensive, durable, and have that "city bike" look. Heck, you could probably even bungee your fishing pole to the side of it. :wink:
mkydsm

Post by mkydsm »

A milk crate is a great idea thanks! I may take the cover off and try to weed out whats rattling up front and put some padding in there also.

Does anyone else's rear brake make a loud clicking or tapping sound when you are stopping?
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Welcome to MB, and the Chi-Town Scooter community!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Welcome to MB! Nice scoot! As far as carrying stuff poke around the forum. People have come up with many great ideas on how to transport stuff that a scooter "shouldn't" be able to carry!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think 200 miles may be too early for the first oil change but it won't hurt. If you do one at 200, I'd fill with dino oil again, then do another change and switch to synthetic at 500-600 miles.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

That "rattle" will come and go.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Congrats and welcome! Awesome scooter!

I recommend a milk crate or basket too. You can carry so much more.

Fishing gear could be strapped on in one of those rod/reel carrying bags with a small soft tackle box set in the basket or crate.

Google ''Sun bicycle basket'' for an example of a sturdy, rubber coated, black basket. This is the one I've used for years.

I think Yamaha sells one also.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

For cargo, I keep a few things on hand. First option is under the seat. If it doesn't fit there, I use a backpack. (I really like my Marmot bag that folds up to stow in the pet carrier when not being used.) If it won't fit in the pack, I've become very fond of a cargo net: the bungee type. I prefer ones with metal hooks to plastic hooks. I've snapped the plastic ones before...thankfully never lost any cargo, but it made me leery of them from then on. If none of those work well for what I'm carrying, I'll go with ROK straps or lash it on with rope. (Know your knots and tie off the loose excess.)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'm a fan of an open basket or milk crate, that way you're not limited to just 'what fits'. Bungie net to top it off works great for me.
I did this with a storage basket from Lowes.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
alleycat2332

Post by alleycat2332 »

This isn't my crate, but it's really similar to my fishing crate. Once I got a scooter, I figured, why not? The only difference in this one and mine is that I just made my rod holders out of PVC. It's a little more work, but a lot cheaper than the ready made stuff they sell at sporting goods stores.

This kind of setup is real popular with kayak fisherman, just google, "kayak milk crate" for some more ideas.

Just gotta be real careful going under trees, ask me how I know. :!:
Attachments
Milk Crate Rod Holder
Milk Crate Rod Holder
cr.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 1430 times