Scooter cannonball run starts this week

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fisher1

Scooter cannonball run starts this week

Post by fisher1 »

Alaska to New Orleans ...... there are several Stellas entered ...... hoping someone may be following or reporting on their progress. Safe riding to all !

http://www.scootercannonball.com/riders/index.php
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Halfway through and all the Stella's are still in the running!

One of the P200s seized; feel for you bro!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
fisher1

Official Cannonball 2014 thread...

Post by fisher1 »

..... is this link.... fantastic daily videos ....

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic129077.13
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

az_slynch wrote:Halfway through and all the Stella's are still in the running!

All three LML scooters finished..
The 4T shifty had no problems, just not a fast scooter.
My 2T ran fine until the last leg into El Dorado, AR. 5 miles out, the piston developed a pin hole on the outside of the piston above the exhaust port and multiple breaks in both rings. I think that a hole developed in the old style Vespa muffler and the cylinder sucked air.
Anyway, it took 20 minutes on the side of the road to replace cylinder and piston set. Stella ran fine to NOLA and the final 1200 miles back to Omaha.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Hi Frank, Congrats .... SERIOUS CONGRATS .... a great accomplishment !!!!

Were you running the standard Stella 2T engine but with the PX filter & "economy" exhaust ? Can you advise on your main & SI jetting and whether you were also pre-mixing a bit to add to the auto-lube? What kind of temps were you normally running on the CHT?

Thanks !
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Frank Tabor wrote:

The 4T shifty had no problems, just not a fast scooter.
My 2T ran fine until the last leg into El Dorado, AR. 5 miles out, the piston developed a pin hole on the outside of the piston above the exhaust port and multiple breaks in both rings. I think that a hole developed in the old style Vespa muffler and the cylinder sucked air.
Anyway, it took 20 minutes on the side of the road to replace cylinder and piston set. Stella ran fine to NOLA and the final 1200 miles back to Omaha.
Frank, amazing job! The sweetest bit of news is that you collected the pool that they had going against you!

I've seen those clamp-on pipes slip a little and expose the exhaust to air before. It even happens on the Vespa mopeds. We need some kind of thin shim like the modern Vespas have to seal it, or we need to put a tension spring on to keep the pipe up.
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

az_slynch wrote:
Frank Tabor wrote:

Frank, amazing job! The sweetest bit of news is that you collected the pool that they had going against you!

I've seen those clamp-on pipes slip a little and expose the exhaust to air before. It even happens on the Vespa mopeds. We need some kind of thin shim like the modern Vespas have to seal it, or we need to put a tension sprint on to keep the pipe up.
The muffler was on tight, but made a backfire noise from time to time.
I used the P200 air filter and cheapo muffler, Bald John jetting, GGR reeds and a 108 main.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Frank Tabor wrote:The muffler was on tight, but made a backfire noise from time to time. I used the P200 air filter and cheapo muffler, Bald John jetting, GGR reeds and a 108 main.
I know that jet stack well. Did you just put the Hot Reed in or did you cut the brace out of the middle of your reed block?

Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

az_slynch wrote:
Frank Tabor wrote:The muffler was on tight, but made a backfire noise from time to time. I used the P200 air filter and cheapo muffler, Bald John jetting, GGR reeds and a 108 main.
I know that jet stack well. Did you just put the Hot Reed in or did you cut the brace out of the middle of your reed block?
Did not cut out the brace, but did polish the L/H engine case under the reed cage because there were casting seams that were rough and I installed a new Mazzy crank after seizing the original in the 2012 SCR.
I was not looking for higher RPM, rather torque and rideability.
A major improvement was the Ducati CDI/COIL unit. The spark went from yellowish blue to deep blue and Stella almost always starts on first or second kick.

I used pre-mix in addition to the oil injection system in the mountains because it is hard to keep the RPMs down on descent where I want extra lubrication and....the additional oil leans out the main jet without having to take it out.

Stella labored to a high of 38 mph in 3rd gear going up Rabbit Ears and Hoosier Passes to a high of 57 mph ( GPS not speedo indicated) going down hill. I rode by temperature guage on uphills and tacho on down hills to extend engine life.
The scooter has 12K miles now and is still a delight to ride.
My opinion is that the Stella can last 20K easily as an urban run-about, but extended endurance runs really take a toll on these long stroke engines wher piston speeds are very high compared to the higher reving 4T with over-square motors.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I've done the intake flashing cleanup on the last two, I really think it helps. Ditching the reed block brace does allow for some additional flow and the reed is stiff enough to hold up without it.

Are you using the standard Mazzy crank that everyone has (for rotary valve) or did you get one of their full-circle cranks for reed motors? I'm looking at building another stroker Stella motor (for myself this time) and I was going to go with the full-circle version.

A Polini 177 kit and a 60mm stoker gives great torque. With Fireball gearing and a T5 4th gear it'll smoke a stock late P200 up a 7% grade.

My favorite combo so far is a 60mm stroker with a Malossi 166 kit. No packing plate and a relieved head, with a SIP Road thrown on for good measure. Quick in first and second, and when you hit the pipe in 3rd, the acceleration is a blast! Only gripe is that it runs out of speed at 65mph in 4th at 6K RPM on stock gearing. Haven't ported the cylinder, but I have case-matched transfers. Still running a 20mm carb, but I needed a Dell'Orto #3 slide to make the jetting work all across the rev range.

Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

az_slynch wrote:I've done the intake flashing cleanup on the last two, I really think it helps. Ditching the reed block brace does allow for some additional flow and the reed is stiff enough to hold up without it.

Are you using the standard Mazzy crank that everyone has (for rotary valve) or did you get one of their full-circle cranks for reed motors? I'm looking at building another stroker Stella motor (for myself this time) and I was going to go with the full-circle version.

A Polini 177 kit and a 60mm stoker gives great torque. With Fireball gearing and a T5 4th gear it'll smoke a stock late P200 up a 7% grade.

My favorite combo so far is a 60mm stroker with a Malossi 166 kit. No packing plate and a relieved head, with a SIP Road thrown on for good measure. Quick in first and second, and when you hit the pipe in 3rd, the acceleration is a blast! Only gripe is that it runs out of speed at 65mph in 4th at 6K RPM on stock gearing. Haven't ported the cylinder, but I have case-matched transfers. Still running a 20mm carb, but I needed a Dell'Orto #3 slide to make the jetting work all across the rev range.

The crank is a Scooter Mercado part #133154 CUT Mazzy. I think it was appropriate for reed induction and was labeled fro P125 and P150. I am not a scooter person and am not familiar with Vespa models.
Greg, on an old Vespa, used a built LML engine using a Pinasco 177cc top end. He seemed pretty fast and was running strong up to Pinedale, WY. I lost track after that day.
He was the third Stella powered scooter on the SCR.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

So you are telling me all the Stella's finished? I don't believe it.
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

srbbnd wrote:So you are telling me all the Stella's finished? I don't believe it.
I Know!

But, I won't try it again. Just got off the phone with Mike H., He was my roommate on the SCR14, and he asked if i was going to ride next time.
If I do, it will NOT be on a 2T of any kind. The handicap formula doesn't come close to equalizing the effort. If the formula stays the same, I would find a used older 250 4T.
It would be delightful to ride up and down hills with the throttle pinned only fretting about speed traps instead of overheating and seizing and not having to carry a 30lb tool roll and an entire parts inventory.
AND, if a fellow can plug a flat instead of having to carry pre-mounted 10"tires, you could enjoy riding to and from the SCR without support agreements. Variators and belts don't weigh much.
The riders, with no aspirations of winning 1st place, rode leisurly as a group and spent about 6 hours in the saddle instead of 8 and 9 hours on the vintage style scooters. It made for long days and we rarely got in early enough to join the main pack.

Dabinche, I think he won, rode an older Honda 110 with about the same horsepower as Stella, but with a very favorable handicap. I could keep up with him on straights and slight up-hills, but the twist and goes can fly down hills where a geared unit is limited.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Still impressive. Nice work.