Heated Gloves.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KrispyKreme

Heated Gloves.

Post by KrispyKreme »

Yes I know summer is in swing, but you have to plan ahead! I haven't taken the plunge and shelled out $ for heated gloves yet, but I'm not going to suffer another winter w/out them. Besides, you may get a good deal on them around now. I have heard good things about Volt gloves and I REALLY like the styling. Of course Gerbings are out there. I don't mind spending in the $150 range, I would just like some advice from people who have firsthand experience with them.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

8)
Last edited by KrispyKreme on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Or maybe there aren't a lot of people in a position to comment on heated gloves now?

Some riders I know were using the Gerbings during the very cold days of Cannonball and they were grateful for them. FWIW, my hands were freaking freezing in leather with silk liners.

I don't know how heated would compare to a really good pair of non-heated winter gloves (usually not leather but Gore Tex or similar with Thinsulate) with added liners.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I've had the Gerbings gloves for at least a few years now (the T5's I think). For cold weather there is nothing like good heated gear. I have used them with my Blackjack. You can run the power cord included with the gloves direct to your battery. If you want to use the 12v accessory plug on the Buddy, you'll need to change out the 1 amp fuse on the Buddy for a 3 amp. This has worked fine for me and does not appear to overload the wiring. If you go that route, you'll also need the cigarette lighter adaptor from Gerbings.

Either way though, I find that the heated gloves (in combination with my deadlights) will slowly draw down the battery.

If you plan on regular use of heated gloves, I would strongly recommend getting the lithium battery pack to go with the Gerbings gloves. This would take the pressure off the battery and charging system, already strained by the cold weather.

On the Burgman (but alas not the Blackjack), I can run both headted gloves AND heated jacket liner. Now that's a treat.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Lithium battery. Check. Gerbing seems to be very popular. I would love to talk to someone who has tried VOLT gloves. Thanks for the reply Eric and HowHH. :)
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

The webBikeWorld guys seem to like the Volt gloves. You may have come across this review already, but if not, it's very thorough and detailed.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-moto ... es-review/
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

No experience with the Volts, but my Gerbings got their maiden voyage this past winter. I set a new personal record: 9F for 16 miles: round trip to the local coffee shop and back...that's where the nearest public thermometer sign was for the photo proof.
With non-heated winter gloves, my hands would do alright for about 10 minutes, then the "cold creep" would start getting through. Previous winters, I kept a spare set of gloves under the seat (sometimes bagged with a chemical heat pack) so I'd have a pair of warm gloves to change into when the cold thoroughly permeated the ones I was wearing. On longer trips and/or below 25F, I'd end up stopping every 10-15 miles to either change gloves, warm up my hands on the headlight or engine, or both.

With the heated gloves, I was happily warm at an otherwise frigid 9F!! I also found every nook and cranny in my gear layers that seeped even a little breeze. :shock: My ponytail got shaved off, much to my then-girlfriend's dismay. It was creating a gap where I had the neck gaiter tucked into the helmet.

If you wire into the battery, carry spare fuses. If you go with lithium batteries, bring your charger. Warmth is wonderful...until it stops unexpectedly.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I freakin' love my Core Heat gloves.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/heated-g ... rbing.html

Rechargeable battery powered. The power lights on the wrist make me feel like Iron Man when I'm wearing them.
RexM

Good suggestions

Post by RexM »

I'm in the same boat as KrispyKreme, making plans for winter. I commute year round and last year the half-hour, 40 min, 45 mph morning ride in 35F degrees was the limit for my fingers. I would arrive just at the point where they were starting to go from freezing to painful (to be followed by numb). This year the commute has increased to 55 minutes, half of which is 70 mph on the freeway. Heated gloves are no longer optional. Thought about heated grips, but I always hear the same thing: the top side of your hand/fingers is still cold.

Anyway, I was thinking of trying these, just because of the price, and they get decent reviews: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Stre ... 22_59409_2

But @ed85379, based on your suggestion I might go with the Core Heats, just because I like the idea of their own rechargeable battery. Do you know how many seasons the batteries are expected to last before they stop holding a charge? Are replacement batteries available?
ed85379

Re: Good suggestions

Post by ed85379 »

RexM wrote:But @ed85379, based on your suggestion I might go with the Core Heats, just because I like the idea of their own rechargeable battery. Do you know how many seasons the batteries are expected to last before they stop holding a charge? Are replacement batteries available?
I recall them mentioning that they recommend that you recharge them at least once every few months, to keep them alive and kicking, but I don't think there is an official life-limit on them.

Looks like about $30 to replace each battery though.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing- ... ttery.html

They have four settings, and only at like 35 degrees and colder have I ever had to pump them all the way up to #4.
RexM

Re: Good suggestions

Post by RexM »

ed85379 wrote:I recall them mentioning that they recommend that you recharge them at least once every few months, to keep them alive and kicking, but I don't think there is an official life-limit on them.

Looks like about $30 to replace each battery though.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing- ... ttery.html

They have four settings, and only at like 35 degrees and colder have I ever had to pump them all the way up to #4.
Cool, thanks!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Thanks Ed for the suggestion and to Rex for keeping this thread lively. :)