Scooter Insurance (boston)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Vogue

Scooter Insurance (boston)

Post by Vogue »

I'm on the hunt for affordable insurance in Boston (JP, specifically) - mostly theft insurance for my 50cc Buddy.

I'm hoping for some suggestions, please! Who do you use, and what do you pay?

Thanks.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I had Progressive on my Buddy 125 and it was $95 a year but that covered only liability and not theft. So, after my Buddy was stolen, I got nothing.
Vogue

Post by Vogue »

Yeah that's the big problem, with my 50cc I don't need (nor really want) liability, but protection against theft is very important to me.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

For what it's worth, I think the Onguard heavy chain lock is the best insurance, IF you use it correctly. I screwed up by looping it through the back rack part instead of tightly around the floor board, like you're supposed to. The back rack part can be unscrewed or unbolted, which is what the thieves/thief did. If it's around the floor board, they would have to cut the floor board. The Onguard chain lock also has a guarantee that will give you some money ($1000 or $1500) if the thief somehow manages to cut the lock.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Vogue wrote:Yeah that's the big problem, with my 50cc I don't need (nor really want) liability, but protection against theft is very important to me.
Yeah? Run down a smartphone-totin' kid crossing a street, even on a 50cc, and see how fast your liability adds up.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Vogue

Post by Vogue »

Oparu wrote:For what it's worth, I think the Onguard heavy chain lock is the best insurance, IF you use it correctly. I screwed up by looping it through the back rack part instead of tightly around the floor board, like you're supposed to. The back rack part can be unscrewed or unbolted, which is what the thieves/thief did. If it's around the floor board, they would have to cut the floor board. The Onguard chain lock also has a guarantee that will give you some money ($1000 or $1500) if the thief somehow manages to cut the lock.
I have a heavy chain lock (Not sure if it's Onguard), and I always chain it to the metal rod attached to the frame on the 50cc. Still, I worry, because a determined theif will take it anyways.
PeteH wrote:
Vogue wrote:Yeah that's the big problem, with my 50cc I don't need (nor really want) liability, but protection against theft is very important to me.
Yeah? Run down a smartphone-totin' kid crossing a street, even on a 50cc, and see how fast your liability adds up.
This comment derails from my question: which insurance companies offer affordable anti-theft protection for those in the Boston area?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, it doesn't really matter, as most carriers won't write a comprehensive-only policy, unless you work with a specialty provider that insures generic physical assets against theft, like trailers or hot dog carts. Virtually all carriers will require (by only quoting/rating) liability along with comp.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Vogue

Post by Vogue »

PeteH wrote:Well, it doesn't really matter, as most carriers won't write a comprehensive-only policy, unless you work with a specialty provider that insures generic physical assets against theft, like trailers or hot dog carts. Virtually all carriers will require (by only quoting/rating) liability along with comp.
Which is fine, I assume i'd have to get liability + full loss with most companies, but the loss protection is what I'm really looking for.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Progressive's rates seem to have gone up. The 125cc is way more than the 49cc. And I am accident free after 7 years.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Anthonyf953

Post by Anthonyf953 »

I pay about $200 full coverage through Safety, but my 125 is "garaged" in Peabody. I agree with others though a good thick chain is great, especially through the floor boards. I also use a grip lock and a disc lock. If anyone walks by I hope they think its too much work and move on to an easier target.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

My Progressive policy is quite reasonable (they do limit the total number so I have two policies), and includes full theft coverage. I live in the crappiest neighborhood in Providence (insurance goes by zip code).

I had the Buddy and a motorcycle stolen at the same time (Buddy recovered in neighbor's yard) from a secured garage, and Progressive covered not only the very reasonable cost of replacing the bike, but also EVERY aftermarket accessory on it (there were A LOT as the thing was totally customized to my liking). Because I had bought everything online, I just went through old email confirmations. The only thing they didn't cover was the pair of gloves I had left sitting on the rear rack.

I had detailed pictures of the bike which showed all the aftermarket parts, which also helped.

My policy included up to $3500 in accessories. If you have a rack or crashbars on your Buddy, this would cover them if you have receipts and/or good photos. This was included in the quote as a "freebie" (no extra fee for this coverage).

Note that I had to wait a minimum of 30 days until Progressive would cut a check. They want to make sure you're not scamming them. They pulled my credit report (soft pull), visited the garage to confirm security, etc. The adjuster was always very good with communicating the next steps. If the loss of the vehicle will severely impact your daily living, you should see if you can get that, too (although you have good public transport in Boston).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Vogue wrote:I don't need (nor really want) liability, but protection against theft is very important to me.
If you hit me, I sure hope you have liability coverage :wink: . Seriously, the costs involved with any kind of personal injury are staggering. You do want liability.