Clutch Cable Broke

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

srbbnd

Clutch Cable Broke

Post by srbbnd »

My clutch cable just broke. I brought mine to the shop to have it replaced. I have checked a few forums and how to guides to do it. What I am wondering is it worth it to get a 4th hand tool for the future and do it myself when this happens or is it best to let the pros handle this. I am fairly confident about repairs and what not and I am a former bicycle mechanic, but when it comes to scooters a few minor mistakes can really damage it. How many of you guys have done this and had good results?

Thanks,

:hit:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

I think it's worth it. A 4th hand isn't that expensive and you can use it when adjust the cables, also.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Sorry to hear of the cable break. Hope it didn't happen in too bad of a spot. I've had one break 30 miles from home before in made a lot of LeMans starts thanks to all the red lights.

The clutch cable is easier to do than you'd believe. Difficulty varies by which end of the cable broke. I think it's easier if the cable breaks at the clutch lever. It's possible to do the job without a 4th hand tool, but it's a bit easier with it. Helps to try it that way in case it breaks out in the middle of nowhere and you're without the tool.

For a break at the lever end, pull the lever in, turn the cable barrel in the clutch lever so the cable nub lines up with the slot in the lever. Lift the nub out. Under the back of the bike, grab the cable behind the barrel nut with a pair of pliers and pull it out of the chassis. Loosen the cable clamp nut and slide if off the cable before tossing the broken cable; keep it with the bolt facing up so the spacer in the clamp bolt doesn't get askew. Don't take the bolt all the way out of the clamp either, that way, the spacer won't fall out and get lost.

For a break out back, roll under the back of the bike and check to see if you still have the cable end and adjuster. If it's gone, go get a new adjuster from your dealer...better yet, get a few for next time. Pull the clutch lever out to expose the cable and use a pick or little screwdriver to fish the cable out of the lever's channel. Unhook the cable barrel from the lever and pull the cable out of the headset.

Lube up a new cable; check the cable barrel for any casting flash and sand or file it off. Make sure the barrel is smooth to touch and burr-free.

Thread the cable back into the cable opening in the clutch lever housing. As you slide it in, be sure to hook the cable barrel into the lever before pushing it all the way in.

Roll back under the back of the bike. Find the clutch cable adjuster and if necessary, back it all the way into it's mount. Thread the cable through the clutch arm and slide the clamp bolt back onto the cable. Push the clamp bolt up against the clutch arm and hold it there. Pull the cable towards the rear of the bike to make sure there's as little slack as possible in it. This is the point where you apply the 4th hand tool behind the clamp bolt. If you have a good grip, hold cable tension with one hand and push the clamp bolt/clutch arm forward until you feel a significant increase in arm tension. If you pull this off by hand, release the hand on the clutch cable and use it to twist in the bolt on the cable clamp. If you have a wrench handy, tighten the clamp as much as possible. With any luck, you got it tight enough that the clamp doesn't slip. Tighten the clamp fully with a 7mm and 8mm wrench.

Head up topside and try the clutch lever. If the clutch feels loose, roll back under and use the cable adjuster to take up the slack. Adjust clutch tension to your liking, but make sure you have to pull the lever a little before the clutch slips or you'll burn the clutch out early. If you have a lot of extra cable out back, either trim it with a good cable cutter or thread it over the brake cable to keep it out of the wheel and off the road.

Once you've done it once or twice, it's an easy job. I recommend that any manual-shift Stella rider change a clutch cable at least once. It's the easiest one to do and gives a bit of insight for doing gearshift cables as well.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

^Thanks for the info I ordered a spare one and a 4th hand. Will give it a try hopefully in the distant future.