Add Spots Or Not To Add Spots. That Is The Question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

Add Spots Or Not To Add Spots. That Is The Question

Post by Drum Pro »

I've been debating this for a few weeks now. What do you guys think? Where do I even find spotlights? I leaning toward do it just cos no one really does it in my city....
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

I thought you were going for the Buddy Guy look.

Never mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Buddy-Stan ... guy+guitar
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Try this for a google search

universal scooter spotlights
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I have a set of these to install. Bought 'em for a moped project but realized that they'd look cooler on a scooter. Need to buy bulbs separately and they're limited to 15W (plastic housings), but they're hella nice looking and look unique. The lens had a bisecting fluting and the reflector is stepped to give a distinctive lighting pattern.

https://www.treatland.tv/mini-CEV-spot- ... dlight.htm

Bonus pics showing the lens and reflector:
Attachments
Assembled spotlight. It's held together with two Phillips screws and splits at the equator.
Assembled spotlight. It's held together with two Phillips screws and splits at the equator.
CEV_Complete_Lg.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Reflector Assembly. Note the stepped lens. Disregard my ugly mug.
Reflector Assembly. Note the stepped lens. Disregard my ugly mug.
CEV_Reflector_Lg.jpg (193.81 KiB) Viewed 680 times
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

IMHO, the whole Mod look is so over done. Everyone does it, even on scooters that have no business being 'Mod'ed out'. Mods did it as a rebellion, as a statement against the government. It looked ugly back then (which Mods knew), still looks ugly today. Now people just think it looks cool, and have no idea about the history behind the style or even know about the Mod subculture.

Now if your going with the whole 'tough scoot' look, with black crashbars/rack/cowl protectors, light grills, minimal/no chrome, then maybe.

I think the best look for the Stella is just a nice clean look, with a few tasteful chrome accents. I think the whole 'stick chrome where ever I can' style looks so gaudy.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

If you like the look, then do it. Just don't get carried away! You don't need the motorised equivalent of stadium floodlights.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

If Its YOUR look.. then do it.. everyone has an opinion on what sux and what doesnt..
Who cares!! You like it... Do it...
I ldo my current look... someone else does theirs..
You want to walk down a row of scooters at a gathering or rally... and see 20 cookie cutter scooters. all look alike..,,,.. then you see a few that STAND OUT! Different!
! this guy has the kahoons to do his thing!! I like that!!!
Go with your gut! Not some-1 elses!! It's YOUR bike.. You paid for it,, You MODify it the way YOU want!!
Good luck and take pictures
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:IMHO, the whole Mod look is so over done. Everyone does it, even on scooters that have no business being 'Mod'ed out'. Mods did it as a rebellion, as a statement against the government. It looked ugly back then (which Mods knew), still looks ugly today. Now people just think it looks cool, and have no idea about the history behind the style or even know about the Mod subculture.

Now if your going with the whole 'tough scoot' look, with black crashbars/rack/cowl protectors, light grills, minimal/no chrome, then maybe.

I think the best look for the Stella is just a nice clean look, with a few tasteful chrome accents. I think the whole 'stick chrome where ever I can' style looks so gaudy.
I feel what your saying and I agree to a point. If it's way over done then it looks dumb. I was just going to add 3-4 at most. Oh and I'm STRICTLY PERCUSSION! No guitars for me even though I own 4 of them and a mandolin. Totally don't know how to play them nor have the time to learn....
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Choosing to add spots or not is a matter of taste. Some people love it, others passionately hate the look. I have always wanted a mod scooter, and always planned on mounting spots. I have a cuppini front crash bar, and a pair of vintage Notek blue dot spots. I also will be mounting one more pair of spots: vintage Lucas 4FTs. I have no intention of drowning the Stella in spots, but I like the look of a couple of pair. One way that the guys in the UK set up their spots is on a front luggage rack, which is removable. For poor weather or long rides they leave the rack off, and when they want to dress up their scooter, they install the front rack o' spotlights.

Where to get them? I have been haunting Ebay UK: ebay.co.uk and searching for various vintage spot light names: Notek, Lucas, Miller, Desmo, Stadium, etc. I have been studying the various types of spotlights online and at car shows. Be sure not to buy a fog/spotlight with a sealed beam headlight like a postwar car. You want one with a replaceable bulb. These vintage spots are not cheap: $40-80 each, so it pays to be patient. Condition is an issue as well.A Perfect pair of vintage lucas lights can set you back a couple hundred bucks, but I don't need perfect ones.

Won't they kill your battery/fry your wiring? If you just jump off of your headlight circuit, yes. The stock bulbs can run 30watts to 60 watts each. As these will be used as running lights and not true headlights/spotlights/foglights, I plan on converting them to lower wattage LEDs: say 1-3 watts. I will also be setting up dedicated wiring and on/off switches so I can turn each pair on or off as I wish. I previously converted all the bulbs on my Stella other than the headlight to LED, so I have some extra watts to work with.

Due to the cost and fragility of the spots, I am not so sure I would put them on a bike left on a city street especially overnight.

Here is a pic of me and my Stella about a month ago. I have mounted one of my Lucas 4FTs, but the other has not arrived yet from the UK. I can tell you this: the looks I get have changed from"Hey, that's neat/cute" to "What the hell???"

And that is OK with me.

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'm digg'n the mirrors. Did you get the ones that have to be clamped or are they the replacement stock kind?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

These are a pair of repro Stadiums from RoyaleEnamel from ebay UK. The longer chrome stems are from a different mirror set, but I ditched the mirrors. I cannot remember where I got them though... I also ordered 5 more pair of mirrors and 2 pair of stems. mod, but not excessive.

I did have trouble getting chrome mirror brackets that fit around the disc brake. I think I found these on ebay UK sometime last year.