Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Mcanaves, dear Lord, what a horrible experience. Like a nightmare, seeing the car coming right at you and you stopped in your own lane. Sounds like you reacted very well in angling out of the way as much as you could. Glad your injuries were minor, and very sorry a new to you scoot got hit so soon after getting it.

Mutt: geez, what a string of bad luck. Sorry the Vespa went down, too, and it's so mind boggling your injuries are that bad from going down from a stop. Still, that's a lot of weight coming down on a wrist. Ouch.
Last edited by RoadRambler on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Aw, dang, Mutt!!
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:Oh... Hell. I did it again. Sort of. But I really DID it, if ya know what I mean.

About 11:00am last Tuesday. Going to the bank... Again. On Arsenal... AGAIN.
But....
Almost to the bank and it began to rain. I was at a stop sign. Stopped. Safely stopped. Not moving. My left foot slipped and I toppled over. Plop. Just like that. The scooter started to go but there were bystanders and they caught it. Still went over, but it seems fine but for a maybe vent mirror and a scratch on the top case.
As for me... Damn. I faceplanted and trashed my full face helmet. Zero miles per hour and get I slammed into the ground. It gets better... Not really. I broke my left wrist in three places. Need surgery and pins. Gads. Hurts like hell too.
Chipped my knee cap, and twisted my right foot. From standing, my foot slipping, and slamming to the ground at zero MPH.
No words to quite describe the absolute stupidity I feel. :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:
Oh noes!!! Mutt, I hope you heal up completely and quickly. If it's any consolation at all, this kind of incident isn't as uncommon as you might think. I know somebody who suffered a career-ending hip injury in exactly the same way. Again, I hope you'll be good as new soon.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

jrsjr wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:Oh... Hell. I did it again. Sort of. But I really DID it, if ya know what I mean.

But....
Almost to the bank and it began to rain. I was at a stop sign. Stopped. Safely stopped. Not moving. My left foot slipped and I toppled over. Plop. Just like that. The scooter started to go but there were bystanders and they caught it. Still went over, but it seems fine but for a maybe vent mirror and a scratch on the top case.
As for me... Damn. I faceplanted and trashed my full face helmet. Zero miles per hour and get I slammed into the ground. It gets better... Not really. I broke my left wrist in three places. Need surgery and pins. Gads. Hurts like hell too.
Chipped my knee cap, and twisted my right foot. From standing, my foot slipping, and slamming to the ground at zero MPH.
No words to quite describe the absolute stupidity I feel. :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:
Oh noes!!! Mutt, I hope you heal up completely and quickly. If it's any consolation at all, this kind of incident isn't as uncommon as you might think. I know somebody who suffered a career-ending hip injury in exactly the same way. Again, I hope you'll be good as new soon.
Thank you. STILL trying to schedule surgery. Went straight to Urgent Care, they x-Rayed me, splinted and wrapped me up, gave me a prescription, and told me to see an orthopedist ASAP. Called first thing in the morning. BUT I don't have health insurance. I do have medical on my scooter insurance. Won't cover all of it but it will help a bit. I gave up my health insurance in February because it went up to almost $500 a month with a $6000 deductible. I figured I would switch to the ACA and in the meantime save the $500 a month in case something did happen. Because the deductible was so high I figured I would not be any worse off. And I have almost $8000 saved... $7500 actually. BUT no one would see me because I wasn't referred by a primary doctor. Urgent Care faxed all the info, but no one would see me. One place said they wouldn't be able to see me until December!!!! And it was a teaching hospital. I just didn't want to o bankrupt in the ER. I went to Barnes ER on Thursday, in great pain, they did exactly what Urgent Care did! came up with the same diagnosis! but did t re-wrap my hand as well. Gave me some papers to fill out and told me to call their orthopedics department in their family health center first thing in the morning. Which I did. I was in the system, but they didn't have my records. They said it could be later in the afternoon or earlier in the next week. They did have them by mid-afternoon, but no orthopedist a or plastic surgeons to look at them. I was told at the ER I needed to schedule surgery ASAP and that I needed pins. Now the orthopedic department said I won't hear anything until MAYBE Monday, IF a surgeon is willing to take a self pay... With luck I MIGHT have something scheduled by the end of the week. In the meantime... My wrist hurts like a mother %*#!#!!! And I imagine that it is beginning to heal in a way that it shouldn't, which will make fixing it properly that much more difficult, and it hurts like an SOB.... Which is why I have been up since 4am because I can't sleep because I can't get into a position where I can sleep, and I haven't even told them about me knee. Oh, and they font want to work with the med insurance that I DO have with my vehicle insurance. However, my VESA has been treated like an absolute queen with the utmost care. I'm to the point where I'd consider putting on a dog suit and young to see my dogs vet. I'd sniff someone's ass and hump their leg if it would get my wrist/paw fixed. I draw the line at luck g so eons ass or eating cat turds however. I will beg, fetch, and roll over... And carry a squeaky toy in my mouth. Woof woof.
96 Decibel Freaks
Mutt the Hoople

Sorry about the typos. Temperamental as well as evil iPad, and typing with one hand. Grrrrr. And I was supposed to leave for London this coming Saturday.
96 Decibel Freaks
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Mcanaves, so sorry for you that it happened when all was still so new! Sounds like you could not avoid it at all, and did the right things anyway, so good on you, for that! :) I hope you'll be back riding in no time.

Mutt - Crikey! That sucks!!! I hope you'll get the care you need *soon*, and that you will heal fast and properly! Your accident was ***not*** stupid - it happens to others, for sure. I remember reading in the Bicyclists Encyclopedia (or similar) years ago that the fellow who authored it knew of 2 people who'd died because while at a standstill they'd lost their balance, fell, and suffered head injuries due to the lack of wearing a helmet. I have always worn a helmet since reading that - and your story is eerily similar, although thankfully, as bad as it is, is not that bad! I'll say some words in hopes that you'll be able to make it to London soon, if not when planned. Get well!!!

---------

While I hate to hear of your respective 'incidents', I am glad that you are both here to report them! We had 2 locals lately who were not so fortunate.

About 10 days ago, we had a scooterist get hit by a car at about 11PM and then, post-that-accident & while "he was in the road" (not sure if he was standing or lying there), a second car hit and killed him - and then ran. It is a sad story. The police caught and incarcerated the runner a couple days later.

Two days later, at 7:30AM, a motorcyclist and a left-turning cager collided, resulting in the death of the 'cyclist a short time later due to internal injuries. From what I have heard, there was a lot of speed involved; it destroyed the front of the car, and Kawasaki motorcycle parts were scattered down and across all 4 lanes of divided highway. Speed limit there is 55, and it is at an intersection to a 2 lane road which has a large elementary school on it. There are many calls for a stoplight to be installed there now.

Be careful, friends!!!

----------

I am just over 3 weeks out from my accident, and thought I would post a short follow-up a few hundred road miles later.

I have been riding again, around town with no problems, but am still feeling intimidated by speeds at 50 and up, having only been out on the highway 3 times IIRC since the accident. I am regaining trust, but slowly - mostly I have to tell my 'lizard brain' to chill out, it is interesting in a way to observe that my physical body is scared and does things which make my thinking mind react - adrenaline? or something like that. I have to talk to myself in order to quell the anxiety it creates, reassure myself that I just need to do the right things and stay aware, and all will be OK. :)

My hand is still sore, I must have had a small fracture of some sort there, but mobility is fine, limited only by the small amount of soreness which remains. I expect that to be back to normal in another month or so. All of the bruising of hand, leg, and foot has now faded, and my 'water balloon' knee has deflated to only 1/4 or 1/6 of the size it had been. The musculature underneath is tight and flexibility is something I will have to work on and with while it continues to heal - I think that there must have been deep tissue injury there from the impact of the bike when I fell. I can flex the knee about 3/4 of full range with no problem, beyond that it gets stiff and hurts a little. The 3 areas where my skin was broken are close to being knitted up.

So overall the slowest healing has been in my noggin. :) While I technically understood it before, actually having the 'physical knowing' that riding can go from so much fun to so wrong so fast, well, that seems to be the hardest of all to deal with. Riding is still such fun and I absolutely love to get on the bike, but now there is the certain knowledge that it can really hurt as well, and that has changed everything. I hope that in the long run, that is for the better; that it serves me to be a better and more conscientious rider.

I really wish there was a local MSF course I could take, but there isn't, so instead I have been getting and watching videos on riding/cornering/traffic technique and such. In one of them I saw that the Cali Superbike School has a modified framework on some of their bikes which allow you to run the bike up to the point of crashing, but doesn't actually allow it to flip or fall. I would *love* to put something like that on mine, and then go really find out the limits of her performance. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Just learn to enjoy the company of your new riding companion named 'Friendly Fear'.
If you listen, he will serve you well.

Friendly Fear, FF for short, becomes your riding partner after your first experience with crashing.
Any honest rider who has gone down knows FF.
FF is the balance you will now develop that allows you to shift from agressive/passive riding style as conditions warrant during your journey.
It is that inner voice that lets you know if today is good day to ride, or sometimes, when your shift timing is wrong or you are cornering late or early or finding yourself surprised at how short that car in front of you stopped, to just take the bike back home and drive the 'cage'.

If you listen to FF and act accordingly, you get to become a old rider showing little road wear.
Disregard FF and you will replay this or worse.

Sounds silly doesn't it?
Trust me though.....I have passed the million mile two wheeled marker over 50 years of riding and FF became my passenger during my first year of riding......I hit the ground so hard it split my helmet.

Back then, as a youngster, I was certain I was indestructable.....the bike, and gravity, took care of that little misconception.
BTW....FF will make you a much better and alert car driver as well.

This saying applies....primarily aimed towards airplane pilots but applies to riders:

There are Old Riders and there are Bold Riders......there is no such thing as a Old Bold Rider.

Good on you for getting back on the horse and I hope you heal quickly.
There will likely be something visible or some movement you make that brings back a dull ache in your later years......As long as you remember the incident that created that mark or pain, you too will become a old rider.

Good luck!
Rob
Mutt the Hoople

CapnK wrote:Mcanaves, so sorry for you that it happened when all was still so new! Sounds like you could not avoid it at all, and did the right things anyway, so good on you, for that! :) I hope you'll be back riding in no time.

Mutt - Crikey! That sucks!!! I hope you'll get the care you need *soon*, and that you will heal fast and properly! Your accident was ***not*** stupid - it happens to others, for sure. I remember reading in the Bicyclists Encyclopedia (or similar) years ago that the fellow who authored it knew of 2 people who'd died because while at a standstill they'd lost their balance, fell, and suffered head injuries due to the lack of wearing a helmet. I have always worn a helmet since reading that - and your story is eerily similar, although thankfully, as bad as it is, is not that bad! I'll say some words in hopes that you'll be able to make it to London soon, if not when planned. Get well!!!

---------

While I hate to hear of your respective 'incidents', I am glad that you are both here to report them! We had 2 locals lately who were not so fortunate.

About 10 days ago, we had a scooterist get hit by a car at about 11PM and then, post-that-accident & while "he was in the road" (not sure if he was standing or lying there), a second car hit and killed him - and then ran. It is a sad story. The police caught and incarcerated the runner a couple days later.

Two days later, at 7:30AM, a motorcyclist and a left-turning cager collided, resulting in the death of the 'cyclist a short time later due to internal injuries. From what I have heard, there was a lot of speed involved; it destroyed the front of the car, and Kawasaki motorcycle parts were scattered down and across all 4 lanes of divided highway. Speed limit there is 55, and it is at an intersection to a 2 lane road which has a large elementary school on it. There are many calls for a stoplight to be installed there now.

Be careful, friends!!!

----------

I am just over 3 weeks out from my accident, and thought I would post a short follow-up a few hundred road miles later.

I have been riding again, around town with no problems, but am still feeling intimidated by speeds at 50 and up, having only been out on the highway 3 times IIRC since the accident. I am regaining trust, but slowly - mostly I have to tell my 'lizard brain' to chill out, it is interesting in a way to observe that my physical body is scared and does things which make my thinking mind react - adrenaline? or something like that. I have to talk to myself in order to quell the anxiety it creates, reassure myself that I just need to do the right things and stay aware, and all will be OK. :)

My hand is still sore, I must have had a small fracture of some sort there, but mobility is fine, limited only by the small amount of soreness which remains. I expect that to be back to normal in another month or so. All of the bruising of hand, leg, and foot has now faded, and my 'water balloon' knee has deflated to only 1/4 or 1/6 of the size it had been. The musculature underneath is tight and flexibility is something I will have to work on and with while it continues to heal - I think that there must have been deep tissue injury there from the impact of the bike when I fell. I can flex the knee about 3/4 of full range with no problem, beyond that it gets stiff and hurts a little. The 3 areas where my skin was broken are close to being knitted up.

So overall the slowest healing has been in my noggin. :) While I technically understood it before, actually having the 'physical knowing' that riding can go from so much fun to so wrong so fast, well, that seems to be the hardest of all to deal with. Riding is still such fun and I absolutely love to get on the bike, but now there is the certain knowledge that it can really hurt as well, and that has changed everything. I hope that in the long run, that is for the better; that it serves me to be a better and more conscientious rider.

I really wish there was a local MSF course I could take, but there isn't, so instead I have been getting and watching videos on riding/cornering/traffic technique and such. In one of them I saw that the Cali Superbike School has a modified framework on some of their bikes which allow you to run the bike up to the point of crashing, but doesn't actually allow it to flip or fall. I would *love* to put something like that on mine, and then go really find out the limits of her performance. :)
Thanks for the encouraging words. You Said a mouthful when you suddenly his something so fun, can go so wrong, so fast. So very true.

I finally got an appointment with an orthopedist for Friday. Surgery looks like Tuesday, and I hope the delay in things hadn't messed by wrist and hand up. Just trying to be positive and to tell myself that it will work out. Trip to the UK dashed to smithereens but... Sigh.

On another note... How do yo like the Wolf Classic? I looked at one and Loved it. Give it a bit of a review when you get the chance. A lot of us here liked the looks and idea of it.
96 Decibel Freaks
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Mutt, I'm sorry to hear about this... I remember how much my broken hand hurt and I wouldn't wish it on anybody... please keep us updated and I hope everything goes smoothly and heals quickly!
Mutt the Hoople

Thank Luna!

JUST had surgery two days ago. Yes. You read that correctly. One day short of three weeks since I had the accident. Right now it hurts ike heck. More later when I get to a full keyboard.
96 Decibel Freaks
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Ate it on Thursday evening coming home from work. locked up the front wheel which actually surprised me. 16,500 miles on my 2008 125 and never experienced that kind of loss of control before.

i had right of way with a side-street forming a T to my street having a stop sign. They were starting to roll thru the stop to make a left across me and i slammed the brakes, maybe grabbed too much front? wheel jacked sideways and slid. No collision with another vehicle @ the end of it & no serious injuries, but my knee is bruised up and road rashed good.

Need new jacket & gloves, too. Dry pavement. I estimate I was going about 30-35 at the time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry about the fall, hypercube. Did the other guy stop and check your condition?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Mutt the Hoople

OMG.... 30-35mph... You are so lucky it wasn't worse. Really lucky. That said, I know you are sore as heck. Best healing wishes and take good care of yourself.
96 Decibel Freaks
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Thanks - the woman did stop as did the guy in line at the stop sign behind her. Then a cop showed up and it turned out that he was an instructor for the police academy and the two in their separate vehicles were his students. Hah. Everyone was super nice and helpful. The woman was very apologetic. I still am scratching my head re how the wheel locked and skidded on me.
Mutt the Hoople

thehypercube wrote:Thanks - the woman did stop as did the guy in line at the stop sign behind her. Then a cop showed up and it turned out that he was an instructor for the police academy and the two in their separate vehicles were his students. Hah. Everyone was super nice and helpful. The woman was very apologetic. I still am scratching my head re how the wheel locked and skidded on me.
It would be nice to know so you don't accidentally do it again. But that said, it could have been a freaky one-off combination of things. Really glad for you that it wasn't any worse, and that everyone involved did the right thing as was very nice. Don't beat yourself up too much over it. I'm stll somewhat befuddled how I managed to shift my foot a wee bit, going zero mph and end up face down on the pavement with a broken wrist. And you should see my poor helmet. Glad I was wearing a full face!!! But.... You know. SH!t happens. We do our best, follow the rules, ride carefully, and sometimes we still fall... Just like walking. It happens. Not making light if it, but the best you can do or any if us can do is to learn from it. Hope you aren't too bruised up but you might be surprised to find that the road rash heals before the bumps. My knees and ankle still hurt from my first fall. The road rash is almost completely gone.
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

likely that you locked it and then turned it ever so slightly. on the 10" wheels, there is 0 forgiveness for it, and I'd rather low-side than T-bone someone turning left in front of me.

Glad you weren't seriously injured, speedy recovery! any significant damage to your buddy?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hey its officially the holiday season now so heal up well for the new year, all. santa is gonna bring you all some nice new gear and maybe even a new scoot!

to not crash next year :P

happy holidays to the injured and lame! not lame like me, physically lame. get better soon!

best wishes
Riding is riding
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Some one on another forum presented the idea of getting a scooter trailer or carrier on their car and hauling their scooter out to the rural areas and riding there just for recreation.

Sometimes I think about that myself when I ponder the prospect of riding among traffic in the burbs.

It only takes a slight little slip or loss of concentration to cause a disaster.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Rob

Post by Rob »

Whimscootie wrote:Some one on another forum presented the idea of getting a scooter trailer or carrier on their car and hauling their scooter out to the rural areas and riding there just for recreation.

Sometimes I think about that myself when I ponder the prospect of riding among traffic in the burbs.

It only takes a slight little slip or loss of concentration to cause a disaster.
I'll do a little 'jack of this thread but only to say I highly endorse rural riding for newbies. After my wife took the MSF, we spent several weekends riding out in the sticks. We spend many of our weekends about about 90 miles from here, so I'd trailer the bikes out there. Anyway, it was really a great way for her to firm up the riding basics, practice some techniques, see some great scenery, etc., all with very little traffic to contend with. Although there are some additional hazards such as gravel carryover to paved roads, hidden intersections (particularly when the corn is high), deer, etc.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

But....

OUCH!! I've had my foot slip out from under me at a stop sign too and almost fell.
My right leg slipped out, my left stayed planted and luckily I just did a big split. Kind of held myself and the scoot up on one leg and with shear strength. The white latex strips on the street get SUPER slippery when wet. Since then I make sure never to stop on them.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

skully93 wrote:likely that you locked it and then turned it ever so slightly. on the 10" wheels, there is 0 forgiveness for it, and I'd rather low-side than T-bone someone turning left in front of me.

Glad you weren't seriously injured, speedy recovery! any significant damage to your buddy?
i think you are right about the slight turn. front end looks a little rough but everything works, amazingly. headlamp cover, headlamp bezel, upper plastics & one of the turn signals are cracked. one brake lever is slightly bent and the round bit at the end of it is now flat :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

How many miles on your scooter? Are brake pads worn down?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

BuddyRaton wrote:How many miles on your scooter? Are brake pads worn down?
16,500mi w/ brake pads replaced maybe 8 months ago.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? Aprillia Scarabeo 500ie, Silver
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Not sure I could have helped it. 7an
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Maybe if I loosened my grip I would have been able to steer into it more, but the gust was really nasty. Next time not ride on the verge of weather changes on the highway.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? No serious injuries, just sore. FF helmet, heavy duty leather jacket with D30, boots. Jeans were normal and were somewhat torn.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? lots of plastics and a windshield. Unknown at this time if there was mechanical damage, but it seems OK and is drivable.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? TBD
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? 2+ years, licensed, 2 classes.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? @ 45
11. How far was the rider from home? 30 miles.
tspinning

Lover Lay Down

Post by tspinning »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?
2013 Buddy 125 - White

2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Not really, black ice, low speed turn from dry/clear street onto seemingly clear side street. - 7am.

3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
More extensive assessment of road conditions and overnight air temp. Even slower/less lean on turns in cold weather.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Sore arm and back, ripped jacket. Wearing 3/4 helmet, first gear gloves, jeans (no damage) & hiking boots.

5. What was the damage to the scooter?
None really, scrapes on center kick stand, but that saved the body, minor scrape on side of left rear-view mirror!

6. Cost of repairs, if any?
n/a

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
About 4 months or 620 miles on my first scooter, purchased in September, 2013. Has MC Permit in MA.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
Not yet, planned for spring.

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes

10. How fast was the rider going?
<=10MPH

11. How far was the rider from home?
.25 miles
TVB

Post by TVB »

You can't be too careful about slippery roads. Every incident I've had* was from the bike slipping out from under me, either on frozen water or wet leaves. It doesn't even have to be on a turn; just adjusting to one side or the other, or hitting a patch of ice or slush with your weight off-center a little can take you down.

*not counting the scooter falling off its stand while parked
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tspinning wrote:2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Not really, black ice, low speed turn from dry/clear street onto seemingly clear side street. - 7am.
Glad it wasn't more serious. I have not gone down on a scooter or motorcycle in 30 years (knock on wood). But one of my few "offs" was in Arlington (North of Cambridge) on black ice in the morning in a low speed turn one winter years ago. Now I simply don't ride when there is a possibility of black ice. (there are old riders and there are bold riders.....)
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Passing out of state van on two lane one way street. He thought he was on a two way street and turned left. Level 3 shoulder reconstruction, physical therapy for several months. Was wearing all gear including double armor in hips and knees, full face helmet, gloves, boots, everything. No road rash this time and the helmet hit the van and the road instead of my naked head. Surgery is easy, it's the physical therapy afterwards that is tough.
Sold the damaged scoot, sold my motorcycle, kept the Buddy. Just started riding again and am apprehensive to say the least.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

'09 Rattler 110, warmer winter day, slightly wet/frozen manhole cover, front tire got loose, was able to keep scoot upright, but my left leg/knee got injured when my foot came off the deck and my leg became a kickstand; front wheel was bent & replaced; trip to ER, x-ray, MRI, trip to orthopedic specialist...not fun! there is an area in my knee where the articluar cartilege has partially broken free and occasionally gets impinged causing pain

'09 Buddy 125, spring day shortly after rain, hit a wet lane indicator (rubberized paint) while braking and layed scooter over on left side after rear end kicked out, several panels lightly cracked/scratched, headlight bezel scratched, left mirror arm scratched thru chrome, center stand foot extension scratched, front fork scratched, my lower left leg slightly hurt when it went under the the scooter...no permanent injury; repainted what I could (not all the paint matched, but I was on a budget); left the rest alone...had my dealer check things over and it was cleared for riding; traded that scoot off...damage disclosed at time of deal
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Aaargh you two!

Everyone ride safe! I have 2 friends in the hospital right now for major illnesses, I can't handle any more worry.
ladyrachem

unexpected ice

Post by ladyrachem »

Longtime lurker, hoped I'd never have to post here! I was driving a very familiar route from my favorite Thai place back home. I'm in West Seattle so lots of hills. I drove down Yancy and apparently a pipe had burst and the water had run downhill and froze, creating half a block of pure ice. It hasn't rained here in forever and I simply wasn't expecting it. I went down as soon as I realized I was on ice; I'd been approaching a stop sign and already had my blinker on so luckily I wasn't going very fast (although I know low-speed crashes can be just as dangerous).

A guy saw what happened and helped me pick up my scooter and get it off the road. I parked it there overnight and had my mom pick me up, haha. Just went back to get it and the whole area is covered in salt, so somebody must have reported the ice.

2012 Buddy 125 in Seafoam

No, although maybe I shouldn't have been riding at all; near 10pm

I will definitely be reconsidering riding in sub-freezing temperatures. I thought I was safe because it's been so dry, but this proved me wrong.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Bruised my right knee up pretty good but nothing I can't walk on. I was wearing a full face helmet, warm jacket, jeans, fashion knee-high leather boots, gloves, and a Corazzo apron. No tears in my clothing.

The silver casing around the headlamp is cracked and partially missing. Scraped up the right handlebar and there are a few scratches, but I probably won't do anything about those besides try to buff them out myself. I think the ice saved it from further damage from the pavement.

Gonna take it into Lynnwood Scooter Barn after it warms up a little. Probably just have to replace the headlamp casing.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
I've been riding almost exactly a year; I have a motorcycle license and about 1,950 miles. I bought my scooter last March.

Took (and aced!) it last February.

Yes

Probably 5-10mph.

Half a mile.

The whole thing was really scary. Even though I wasn't hurt badly, I was really shaken up and felt like I was gonna throw up. I'm really thankful for the guy who helped me lift and move my Buddy because I was too shaken up to do it. I don't have a car, so I've been riding my Buddy in just about any condition besides frost or snow. I'm going to load up my bus pass and keep the scooter in the garage when it's this cold, though.

I'm also going to remember this incident when the weather gets warmer and I'm less likely to want to gear up. I can't imagine how painful that would have been if I were wearing thin pants or shorts(!!!) or crappy shoes.

Thanks for reading! Like I said, I've been lurking for a while and this community helped me make the plunge and get a Buddy. I've never regretted it and still don't. Looking forward to safer riding in the future. :)
Syd

Re: unexpected ice

Post by Syd »

ladyrachem wrote:Longtime lurker, hoped I'd never have to post here!
Hate, hate, hate first posts in this thread! Glad you're ok and the scoot's not busted up too bad.
pcameronbrooks

Post by pcameronbrooks »

Nice to see that there haven't been any crashes this scooter season.
dress for the crash, not for the ride.....ride on
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Probably because this year's new crop of riders don't know about this thread. Now that you've moved it to the top, we'll see.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

pcameronbrooks wrote:Nice to see that there haven't been any crashes this scooter season.
Way to jinx us.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
dudemeister

Post by dudemeister »

Didn't think I would be posting in this thread so soon. Had a small pickup pull out right in front of me last Wednesday night. It was raining and I had just left work. Actually saw the guy inching forward getting ready to cross the street but had no idea he would go for it with me so close. Locked up both brakes and ended up sliding for a little bit until the scooter slipped on its left side (did not hit the pickup but was very very close). I somehow ended up flipping over the scooter and sliding a little in front of it. Very thankful for the protective gear. Whole thing was over very quickly. Picked up the scooter, talked with the driver, and then rode home.

Buddy 125 - White
No. Around 11pm
Maybe. I want to install an LED light kit to get the two deadlights working. I'm sure it would have made me more visible.
I always wear a full face helmet and a motorcycle jacket. Those definitely helped in this case. My knee has some nasty road rash but no pain.
Headlight bezel broke off and there are a few scrape marks. Foot peg for the center stand took most of the abuse.
It will be around $100 to replace the top plastic panel and the headlight bezel.
1.5 months. Motorcycle license at 1 month mark. Have put a little over 1000 miles on the scooter so far.
No
Yes
30 - 35 mph
15 miles.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Accidents suck, dudemeister, but I'm glad you and the scoot came out as well as you did.

Did you trade info with the driver? Sure would be nice to ding his insurance instead of yours.
dudemeister

Post by dudemeister »

Yeah I probably should have got his info but the thought of insurance didn't even cross my mind until I got home. Since both of us did not hit anything, can I even get the insurance company involved in a case like this? Either way, the damage is minimal so I'm not too concerned.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Absolutely. If he caused you to crash, he doesn't get out of it just because you avoided hitting him.
dudemeister

Post by dudemeister »

Good to know. Thanks :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

unfortunately since you didn't get a police report, you're probably out of luck at that point.

But if you have comprehensive, they should cover it.

I would just leave the brake lever unless it's broken, since it seems to be common. After mine fell over the last time I ordered the headlight bezel and left everything else alone. I'm just tired of replacing bits of scuffed plastic, so it will get left until its old (I hope nothing ELSE happens to my poor scoot).
jlnoko

Fatality

Post by jlnoko »

Rider down, yesterday in St. Paul, MN. Don't know whether it was a Buddy, but the color fits (see photo in article - link below).

I'll be sending good thoughts to the deceased's loved ones.

And good vibes to all riders.

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/268454532.html
Dooglas

Re: Fatality

Post by Dooglas »

jlnoko wrote:Don't know whether it was a Buddy, but the color fits
More than the color fits. The body panels in the rear part of the scooter also look right.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3513330.shtml?cat=1

Definitely a Buddy. Sad either way.

I'd bet anything the Camry driver was at fault... chances are if you drive a completely uninspiring car like that, driving is the last thing on your mind.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hey now, Camrys are good, reliable cars....

My heart goes out to everyone involved though, that is terrible no matter what the cause.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

skully93 wrote:Hey now, Camrys are good, reliable cars....

My heart goes out to everyone involved though, that is terrible no matter what the cause.
I have no doubt about that. But I tend to agree with Jeremy Clarkson. People who buy bland cars tend to not be very interested in driving and therefore are not as good at it. My experience with other motorists would appear to confirm this. That said, I shouldn't make a judgment like that. I've seen plenty of people on scooters who are no better.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrstone wrote:... chances are if you drive a completely uninspiring car like that (a Camry), driving is the last thing on your mind.
So, if you drive a Fiat 500 Cabrio - you are much more attentive to scooters? I would certainly like to believe that.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

From the looks of the picture and the position of the scooter, it looks like the rider swung wide on a curve.

I know the area. It's a beautiful area. Shame this happened. Heartfelt condolences.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I don't think it is fair to lambaste the car driver or make assumptions based on the model of car. I'll bet they are feeling terrible no matter whose fault, if anyone's, it was. It's just a tragedy, from any perspective.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

UPDATE: The rider's name was Kimberly Stevenson. Does anybody know if she was a member here?
Attachments
Kimberly Stevenson.JPG
Kimberly Stevenson.JPG (34.03 KiB) Viewed 5124 times