Official windshield discussion: Spew your opinions here!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

snoozy

Official windshield discussion: Spew your opinions here!

Post by snoozy »

So, what kind of windshield do you have? Why do you like it or what do you not like about it? Tall? Medium? Short? Narrow? Wide? Prima, Cuppini, other?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

Did I say spew? I meant share! :lol:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I like the shortest screen I can get away with. The aerodynamics are better and I dislike looking through a screen, especially at night. My thoughts on this are at complete odds with folks who prefer to sit in a nice big pocket of still air behind a big screen. I like the feeling of the air hitting me, it's a bit like flying and is part of what I like about riding, but it is more tiring on a long trip. For short trips around town (what most folks are up to on a scooter) a short screen improves the aerodynamics of the vehicle and and doesn't have the potential negative side effects of a tall screen such as hindering your vision (esp at night) or acting like a sail in a cross-wind. It really boils down to a matter of personal preference but that's the ins and out of it as I see it.

P.S. Who am I kidding? I just really like crouching down behind a fly screen at top speed. :twisted:
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

When you say short or tall, what are we talkin' in terms of inches?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

snoozy wrote:When you say short or tall, what are we talkin' in terms of inches?
Short

Tall
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote:P.S. Who am I kidding? I just really like crouching down behind a fly screen at top speed. :twisted:
That's one of the best parts of riding a bike!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

me and my lady both have prima mediums
long rides are more comfortable and you stay alot warmer in the cooler months. the increased mpg/mph doesn't hurt either.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I've the 'Prima' windshield, quite like the riding experience behind it, less wind pressure on my chest and etc.
I do however like the look of the Cuppini, it seems to be designed specificly for the Buddy as opposed to a universal fit.

Only draw back, I reach my destination hungry as I've eaten no bugs...!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Mbates50

Post by Mbates50 »

Been thinking of taking ours completely off. Do they really help if you're wearing glasses/goggles anyway, other than eating protein,(bugs). Seems mpg might improve..
"Put the top down. What could possibly go wrong?"
-JFK-
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Mbates50 wrote:Been thinking of taking ours completely off. Do they really help if you're wearing glasses/goggles anyway, other than eating protein,(bugs). Seems mpg might improve..

I like the clean look(w/out). It looks better IMHO. Vanity, baby.
skipper20

Re: Official windshield discussion: Spew your opinions here!

Post by skipper20 »

snoozy wrote:So, what kind of windshield do you have? Why do you like it or what do you not like about it? Tall? Medium? Short? Narrow? Wide? Prima, Cuppini, other?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)
I have a Cuppini medium on my 150 Blackjack and a Prima tall on my 170i Italia. I like them both because they keep the bugs out of my face and chest (the Cuppini is currently wearing a nasty splatter right at chest level) plus improve my top speed at around 1.5 to 2 mph. Where else can you get that type of improvement plus not having to worry about bug smears and road debris being kicked in your face? To me, it's a no-brainer.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack (nameless to date)
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

KrispyKreme wrote:
Mbates50 wrote:Been thinking of taking ours completely off. Do they really help if you're wearing glasses/goggles anyway, other than eating protein,(bugs). Seems mpg might improve..

This man speaks the truth.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:

This man speaks the truth.
I like the "clean look" too but I hear the cicadas are coming!

:shock:

So I'm wondering if these windshields are "easy on, easy off". Thoughts?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I ride with a large windshield in the winter because it's so much warmer than without (it gets cold in New England). It's very tall as I have to look through it, which I don't like, especially when it's raining. I find it very difficult to see through both a face shield and windshield in the rain. I haven't treated the windshield to bead the rain because I'm lazy (a light film of Dawn dish stop works wonders). Every time it's raining in February I curse myself for not taking care of it.

I HATE a larger windshield in the summer because it blocks air, and as others have said, it feels goooood in the warmer months.

In windy conditions, a windshield gives a nice workout to the shoulders and arms. Be cautious going over bridges where the wind can grab you something fierce.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Whimscootie wrote:So I'm wondering if these windshields are "easy on, easy off". Thoughts?
For the most part, yes. They 'piggy-back' on where the mirrors attach to the bars.
Nullius in verba
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

KABarash wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:So I'm wondering if these windshields are "easy on, easy off". Thoughts?
For the most part, yes. They 'piggy-back' on where the mirrors attach to the bars.
So I could still use my C3 mirror, say, on a Cup. "short"?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:So I could still use my C3 mirror, say, on a Cup. "short"?
It would depend in part on the spacing of the mirrors on the handlebars.
carpenttree

Post by carpenttree »

I have a Prima medium on my Buddy 150 international and my favorite part about it is that it takes the wind off my chest which for me is definitely a plus for longer trips. For my stature, in a relaxed position, half of my field of view is through the windshield while the other half is over it. I don't find it that distracting/distorting for looking ahead in the road but in an ideal world, I would prefer to have 100% clear view. If I really wanted, I could sit straight up and see over the windshield but the whole issue isn't too bothersome for me.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The windscreen on my new BV350 didn't last a day. It concentrated all the air directly onto my face and was as loud as a jet. Not to mention it's 110 today, that breeze helps.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Whimscootie wrote:
KABarash wrote:
So I could still use my C3 mirror, say, on a Cup. "short"?
Yes, without any issue what so ever...
You'll just have to 'fiddle' with it to get it 'just right'.
Nullius in verba
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I've got a medium Cuppini on my Buddy, and I absolutely love it - it does a good job of blocking the bugs on long country rides, and it also makes for a more pleasant ride overall. Can't wait to see how it affects winter riding...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

carpenttree wrote:I have a Prima medium on my Buddy 150 international and my favorite part about it is that it takes the wind off my chest which for me is definitely a plus for longer trips. For my stature, in a relaxed position, half of my field of view is through the windshield while the other half is over it. I don't find it that distracting/distorting for looking ahead in the road but in an ideal world, I would prefer to have 100% clear view. If I really wanted, I could sit straight up and see over the windshield but the whole issue isn't too bothersome for me.
I agree. The point of a windscreen is to take the force of the wind off your chest as well as deflect the wind mostly over your helmet. The height of the screen should allow you to just look over it while not buffeting your helmet. You are darned lucky if you can find an off the shelf screen which will do that - otherwise cutting a taller screen is how you get there. A flyscreen or other short screen just simply deflects the airstream against your chest (though the screen looks good :wink: ). In my experience, better no screen than one which is too short.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:The windscreen on my new BV350 didn't last a day. It concentrated all the air directly onto my face and was as loud as a jet. Not to mention it's 110 today, that breeze helps.
That is because the stock BV 350 screen is too short for the majority of riders. Most everyone adds a Laminar Lip or taller Givi screen. To each his own, of course, but the BV 350 is a fairly high speed bike to ride over much distance without a screen. I would not choose to ride 2 or 3 hours at highway speeds without one - but others obviously do.
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I have aftermarket black mirrors. Someone here said they looked like Yamaha C3 mirrors. Does this change the type of windshield I should buy? I guess I am leaning towards getting a Cuppini medium height windshield.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Personal preference. As long as the arm bolts in the same way use any windshield you like.