Lessons in electricity...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

1.21 Jigawatts!!

Lessons in electricity...

Post by 1.21 Jigawatts!! »

I am an idiot. I received my moon hubcaps today, and went straight to putting them on. First one went fine. But the back one requires removing some stuff. Once I got the cowl off, I thought, WOW, this moon cap would look great on the spare tire as a cover. So I held it up there with my hands, and the metal actually connected the two prongs on the battery, and I saw this mini bolt of lightening. I actually FELT and HEARD it.

It even left burn marks through the OTHER side of the moon cap (see pic below - that is one burn, and there is another one where the other prong touched. I don't know where this falls between "kinda dumb" and "lucky to be alive" but I didn't like it one little bit. Plus I jumped backward and knocked over my beer. Bummer. :)
Attachments
Burn.jpg
Burn.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Headaches are all in your head.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

I think it's neither dumb nor lucky to be alive. Just one of those things. I always forget about electricity ---- it's hard to see. But I've been zapped a few times :) Maybe you should just crack another beer ....
1.21 Jigawatts!!

Post by 1.21 Jigawatts!! »

Haha, I like the way you think, misterbrackets! Cheers!
Headaches are all in your head.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Heh heh heh… I gave myself a jolt testing my spark plug the other day. Holding the cable in one hand, kick the starter and BZZZZT. Duh.

Well, it works!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

ericalm wrote:Heh heh heh… I gave myself a jolt testing my spark plug the other day. Holding the cable in one hand, kick the starter and BZZZZT. Duh.

Well, it works!
I once had a mower that the blade brake cable broke on. I wired open the blade brake, so the only way to stop the mower was to grab the spark plug wire and pull it off the plug. Yeah, shock big time.