Stand for maintenance/changing flat. What do you think?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Snyderxploit

Stand for maintenance/changing flat. What do you think?

Post by Snyderxploit »

Well I needed a stand for doing maintenance and/or changing a tire on the road just in case i got a flat. I did not like the whole idea of laying it on its side or carrying the normal side stand you find on eBay and other sites. I needed something that could be could be used easily, safely, and stored with minimal space. Well what do you all think, any input improvements and so on? It has more than one height setting for variable uses. The bolts where pressed in and the dimples where made all around the radius of the tube right after and before the bolt insert (If that makes any sense) so the bolt wont move. It was pressed in pretty tight, but just did the dimpling has a back up precaution. Then used a flat piece of stock and a 1/2 threaded bolt to be inserted has the base and mount on the engine. It was tig welded together, but could easily be mig welded as well..... well it will be easier to just look at the pictures. It holds up pretty well. I tested it over and over, shook the Stella back and forth, side to side and it still stayed in place. Well thanks for the inputs and advice on making this a bit better.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

[/img]ImageImage[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
[/img]
Last edited by Snyderxploit on Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Very nice!!! Great job!! I personally use a 7" 2X4 stuffed in my glove box.
But I like yours better!
Let me know if you decide to sell these, because,
I WANT 1!!!!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

Same here I'd buy one of those. Looks good!
d8nkid

Post by d8nkid »

I'd buy one as well! Looks nice.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

This is seriously fantastic. If you've got time, you should make a few and sell them.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

That's a pretty dang good idea but... I wouldn't support the rear of the bike by the selector box, it's only held on by those two bolts. A better spot would be the rear shock mounting point or the bottom of the crankcase. IMHO, the selector box may be able to support the bike, but it's much safer to support it from one of those in case something happens.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

well... I guess he aint making and selling them, cause he hasnt been back here since.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

For the people that use 2x4's as a stand, how do you get the scooter on it? Does it take 2 people? 1 to lift the scooter and the other to place the 2x4 underneath? How would you do this if you are out for a ride?
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Hulk it. Lift rear with one hand, quickly slip 2x4 in place, slowly let down on to 2x4. The scooter is pretty well balanced on the center stand, there's maybe only 40 lbs of weight actually being supported by the rear tire while on the stand.
Snyderxploit

Post by Snyderxploit »

Well its been a while since i was able to log on to here. I been busy with school and work so not much time for projects. But I am thinking of making these stands for people that are interested. But first I would like to do some adjustments and see if i could build a better design. After using it for a few time it worked great but i thought of new ideas to make it more sturdy when it lays on the selector box. Ill keep all of you informed now that i remembered my password and user name.