Could you scooter geniuses help me out

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

srbbnd

Could you scooter geniuses help me out

Post by srbbnd »

I have been going through the Stella 4t Maintenance manual for an hour. Can't figure what this is, it appears broken and to be the culprit for my Stella not starting. Don't know what it is or where it used to be.
Attachments
scooter.jpg
scooter.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

It think it's the fuel line that connects to the carb (or the one that connects to the fuel tank). It looks like it's coming from the fuel filter in the background, but I can't tell how thick the tube is in the picture. It seems to be in an odd place, though.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

That is the hose from the evap carbon canister to the air intake hose. On the air intake hose, there is a little nipple that hose connects to... which appears to have ripped off. It wouldn't cause the bike to not start, but it does let in a small amount of unfiltered air into the intake, so cover up the hole where the nipple was with tape or something. Unfortunately, the air intake hose between the plenum/airbox and carb is glued to the plenum/airbox, so I believe replacing it would involve replacing the entire plenum/airbox assembly. Or you could get creative, and try gluing a new nipple on, or simply leave it off and cover the hole.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Don't know why it is not starting, rained pretty hard last night maybe some water got in the tank, might try to siphon it out and add new gas. Thanks again would have never figured that out.
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

srbbnd wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. Don't know why it is not starting, rained pretty hard last night maybe some water got in the tank, might try to siphon it out and add new gas. Thanks again would have never figured that out.
If your bike was not covered and left out in a heavy rain, you might also consider the kill switch as the culprit.
srbbnd

Evap Carbon Canister

Post by srbbnd »

Scooter is up and running guess it just needed to dry out. Thanks for the help.

Has the Evap Carbon Canister always been on Stellas, I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the Maintenance Manual?
misterbrackets

Re: Evap Carbon Canister

Post by misterbrackets »

srbbnd wrote:Has the Evap Carbon Canister always been on Stellas, I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the Maintenance Manual?
The evap setup might be specific to certain regions with certain emission laws, which is why it might not be covered in the manual. That's my guess.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

To prevent wiring problems from damp weather, get some silicone spray lubricant, try to find the stuff that says it's safe for painted parts, and dielectric grease. The spray will penetrate down the wire and the grease will waterproof connectors.

The EVAP system has always been on the Stella 4T, but the service manual doesn't talk about. Even the parts manual lists the entire EVAP system as one part.
srbbnd

Removing Air Box

Post by srbbnd »

So I found a scooter shop that was going out of business and the guy had gutted out a few Stella 4Ts and was selling parts. I picked up a whole bunch of goodies including an air box with a bellow that still has its valve on. Has anyone removed their air box? It looks like a really tight fit in there. However, if it is just removing some screws and tire I would give it a try.
az_slynch

Re: Removing Air Box

Post by az_slynch »

srbbnd wrote:So I found a scooter shop that was going out of business and the guy had gutted out a few Stella 4Ts and was selling parts. I picked up a whole bunch of goodies including an air box with a bellow that still has its valve on. Has anyone removed their air box? It looks like a really tight fit in there. However, if it is just removing some screws and tire I would give it a try.
If he only had a motor to sell... :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

Actually, you can, in fact, order a brand new 200cc 4t lml engine and a few odd bits to mount it from tasso in England. By the time you get it shipped here it'll set you back $2k. And yes, it will fit in a 150 frame.