What do you guys think?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

What do you guys think?

Post by Drum Pro »

I kinda wish Vespa would have released a 4t PX in the states. My Stella been in the shop for weeks now and I'm starting to get fed up.....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

What's it in for? I know some parts are still hard to come by Stateside. Waited a few months for an engine gasket set.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It's stuck in 3rd. It won't go into 2nd, neutral, or 1st or 4th for that matter. I thought it could be the inner cable but that didn't fix it. The worst part about this is that I didn't do anything to the bike. I was riding as usual and boom it wouldn't change gears....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Does the shifter twist but the gear not change, or is it stuck from the twist grip back?

If the shifter turns, the lever arm in the shift box might have come off. They should be able to pull the shift box off and look; it's only two M8 nuts and washers, and ore flathead screw if they have to take the cable cover off. Gasket's the same as a 2T, and I believe that the shift box is too. Another possibility is that the cable holder in the inner end of the shift tube (inside the headset) lost its cotter clip and the shift tube is spinning free while the cables aren't moved.

If the shifter doesn't turn, have them disconnect the cables and try twisting it. If it still doesn't twist, open the headset and have them check the shift tube for something binding it. It's notched for the switchbox wiring to pass through and something could get caught in the notch and jam it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Ok so I got an update. The gear selector cable broke and the shop I took it to messed it up worse trying to fix the inner shift cable. So the good news it's relatively inexpensive. The bad news is that it will be in the shop for a little while longer......
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Glad it's an easier one. Hopefully, they use a decent-quality shifter cable.

Beginning to think I should replace all the cables in my 4T once I get it...