It's official now (Stella ECU recall)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

caffeine65

It's official now (Stella ECU recall)

Post by caffeine65 »

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I saw that!

We had a friend that just bought one, and it was a bit stuttery.

Maybe that's why!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

OK, so now I'm OK with the fact that I couldn't afford to be an early adopter.

EDIT after RTFA:

Oh, the fix is fast. Carry on, then. I'll continue being jealous.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I got the official e-mail today. This is great news and it increases my faith in Genuine. The great news part is that there is a recognition of the problem and an offer of a fix. I predicted earlier that Genuine, LML and Del Orto would finally work it out but this recall comes very quickly given my experience. It took Piaggio nearly a year to recall a faulty fuel pump on my 300 GTS. BMW has only just acknowledged problems with its C 650 series scooters which have also been around for over a year. I think the automatics were released in March - so it took about 4 months - a very quick response. Replacing the ECU is a 10-minute job requiring little skill and only one wrench. The dealer can get at it right away.

Thanks to Genuine for stepping up to the plate.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

It turns out the LML autos in the UK do have the same Delortto system and the Keihin system LML UK were talking about in your other post was for the SYM.

It will be interesting to see if moto gb the UK importer also issue a recall as our autos are suffering from the same issues.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Tipper wrote:It turns out the LML autos in the UK do have the same Delortto system and the Keihin system LML UK were talking about in your other post was for the SYM.

It will be interesting to see if moto gb the UK importer also issue a recall as our autos are suffering from the same issues.
Tipper - Thanks for clearing up that issue regarding which units are used in the UK. I don't know how much a ECU costs and whether they are programmed differently for the USA and UK bikes - but the purchase of one of the certified ECUs would probably clear up a lot of problems though I would hope LML UK will warranty the part.
StellaFelL.A.

Post by StellaFelL.A. »

I checked my email and there it was.

8)
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

My dealer installed the new ECU. The bike runs better than ever. The bikes starts up immediately and the power curve is smooth with no hesitation.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Elder Scoot wrote:My dealer installed the new ECU. The bike runs better than ever. The bikes starts up immediately and the power curve is smooth with no hesitation.
Even better than with the new-old ECU you already got? Fantastic! My bike's performing flawlessly with the new-old ECU, and now you're telling me with the new-new ECU, it gets better?! Holy crap, I can't wait! 8)

My dealer said that the recall insists that the bike be towed in via roadside assist. Did you guys get that? I told him I could just ride it in, but he said nope, gotta be towed.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

caffeine65 wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:My dealer installed the new ECU. The bike runs better than ever. The bikes starts up immediately and the power curve is smooth with no hesitation.
Even better than with the new-old ECU you already got? Fantastic! My bike's performing flawlessly with the new-old ECU, and now you're telling me with the new-new ECU, it gets better?! Holy crap, I can't wait! 8)

My dealer said that the recall insists that the bike be towed in via roadside assist. Did you guys get that? I told him I could just ride it in, but he said nope, gotta be towed.
In all fairness to Genuine - the safest position they can take is to not ride the bike until the new ECU is installed. As a former counsel a multi-national corporation that is what I would have recommended.
Last edited by Elder Scoot on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Genuine really stepped up to proactively take care of this issue. The (potential) defect was in the Dellorto production run — a specific lot. The autos in the UK may have ECUs from an earlier run, in which case they're probably not affected.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
annoythemom

stella auto recall

Post by annoythemom »

Hi All,
I Bought My Stella Auto on June 19th.
I got a call from Genuine on tues telling me of the recall,
They said the new part will be shipped to dealers shortly.
Thanks,
A Stellas Mom
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Here is what Moto GB the LML importer has to say about the matter,to be honest it seems to me that if its going to cost them money they're not interested.

The 200 4ts are still being sent out with an 88 main jet which has been proven on the dyno to be way too lean and causes running issues. They have known about this issue for over a year now but are yet to do anything about it.

'To put matters straight, it is Dellorto who has announced that they have a 'batch' of suspect ECU's, not LML!

They affect a production run of machines and according to LML this only applies to 46 units supplied to the UK according to LML records.

We have isolated those units and are in the process of advising the end user.

There will be no cost to the end user, the job can be done at next service so as to negate inconvenience.

It is not currently deemed a safety issue, therefore will NOT be a mandatory recall.

Dellorto want all of the old (suspect) ECU's back

We are in negotiation with Dellorto to determine reasons for the fault'
[/b]
bobovespa

Post by bobovespa »

A big shoutout to my dealer Modern Classics in DC... The recall notice came out the very next day after I trailered my Stella home from its first service. Within minutes of the recall announcement, Greg the mechanic called and offered to come swap out the ECU unit AT MY HOUSE so I'm not inconvenienced. That's service!

Great job, Modern Classics and Genuine!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bobovespa wrote:A big shoutout to my dealer Modern Classics in DC...
Rare Bobo sighting on ModernBuddy! :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Ebjerke

I didn't get an email

Post by Ebjerke »

I never got an email about the recall, but my dealer called me yesterday. Kind of a hassle for me; my closest dealer is over an hour away. If I call roadside assistance, I would still have to ride it back.