Is the 4T Stella "restricted"?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamceeps

Is the 4T Stella "restricted"?

Post by iamceeps »

Hey guys, this is my first post so be kind. I've been reading online about derestricting scooters, is the 4t Stella restricted? Or better yet, can the Stella be derestricted? I have the Pinasco Symphony exhaust.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Restriction applies to 50cc scooters that are modified to meet certain legal requirements of mopeds, mainly a 30-40 mph top speed depending on state. The Stella 4T isn't restricted per se, but the stock exhaust is quite restrictive, with a cat to meet emissions and a large muffler to reduce noise, and the carb is jetted lean stock to achieve high gas mileage. You've already swapped the exhaust, usually you rejet the carb when you swap exhausts.
iamceeps

Post by iamceeps »

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up
I want all you skinheads to get up on your feet, put your braces together, and your boots on your feet, and gimme some of that old moonstompin'.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

The cdi also has a rev limiter.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Tipper wrote:The cdi also has a rev limiter.
Which you should be careful when removing, timing chains, camshafts and valves don't take kindly to higher revs then what they were designed for. I've only once hit the rev limiter, and that was going down a good hill in 3rd. I've never hit it on flat ground, I run out of gear, and I've taken 3rd to almost 50 indicated.

Tipper, are those adjustable CDIs even worth it, power wise? I have no interest in going over the rev limit.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Tipper, are those adjustable CDIs even worth it, power wise? I have no interest in going over the rev limit.
I bought one of the adjustable CDIs from ReadSpeed some time ago and found it to be no better than the stock one (which I currently use). I emailed them a few times asking for any information as to how advanced/retarded the various settings would have on the timing. They only responded with 'leave it on 5. The main benefit is the removal of rev limiter'. What then, is the point of it being adjustable? I don't care about the rev limiter and have no desire to go into the extreme rpms either. I usually shift into fourth by an indicated 40 mph.
iamceeps

Post by iamceeps »

Ya that doesn't sound like the can of worms I want to open, I've got the pinasco carb and exhaust already but I'm thinking the 165 cylinder kit is the way to go. I've heard from a few guys in the know that when you do that swap you have to upgrade all the components, clutch, transmission, etc because the stock parts are only rated for a 150cc. Have you guys heard that as well? It makes sense but that's a ton of money. I ride in a town with a ton of hills and asshole drivers so I need some more umppff
I want all you skinheads to get up on your feet, put your braces together, and your boots on your feet, and gimme some of that old moonstompin'.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

iamceeps wrote:...I ride in a town with a ton of hills and asshole drivers so I need some more umppff
Hey, what part of SD do you live in?
iamceeps

Post by iamceeps »

Escondido
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

iamceeps wrote:Escondido
North County - cool! Maybe our paths will cross one of these days....
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

iamceeps wrote:Ya that doesn't sound like the can of worms I want to open, I've got the pinasco carb and exhaust already but I'm thinking the 165 cylinder kit is the way to go. I've heard from a few guys in the know that when you do that swap you have to upgrade all the components, clutch, transmission, etc because the stock parts are only rated for a 150cc. Have you guys heard that as well? It makes sense but that's a ton of money. I ride in a town with a ton of hills and asshole drivers so I need some more umppff
Maybe clutch plates if your clutch starts slipping after the 165 kit, but that should be it.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I'm glad I don't have to worry about blowing up my engine from revving her to high. How do or would you know if you hit the rev limiter max?
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

The rev limiter "pulls" the spark, it doesn't allow the spark plug to fire, so no ignition and no power stroke. It feels like engine braking, but if the engine drops bellow the rev limit, ignition and power stroke, right back into the rev limit. So it's like really jerky engine breaking, all within a second or two. Freaked me out when it happened, and I let off the throttle and pulled the clutch right away, then realized what happened and eased it into 4th and kept going.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Imagine a noob winding up a stella in 1st (thinking it should automatically shift like any other scooter) IF it didn't have the limiter? :shock:

Then all the ragging on poor old stella because of his own damn fault for not getting to now his own ride?....
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:The rev limiter "pulls" the spark, it doesn't allow the spark plug to fire, so no ignition and no power stroke.
Good explanation. Just remember that you can overide the rev limiter by staying in gear going down hill. The spark will stop firing but the revs can continue to increase. Bad stuff can happen then!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

A guy on the forum swears by the Reedspeed CDI,

http://www.lmlocgb.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtop ... di#p132328

I have been in two minds for a while now about getting rid of the rev limiter.

When I bought the 200 I promised myself that I wasnt going to mess with it,since then I have fitted a ram air filter (mostly because its easier to access for cleaning) and changed the main jet but thats it.

The rev limiter is there for a reason and the parts used along side it will only tolerate a certain amount of abuse before they commit suicide so I think I will stick with the standard CDI.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

I'd love an adjustable or programmable CDI, that HAD a rev limiter, or a add on module like the ones for the Ducati CDI on vintage Vespas. The stock ignition timing usually isn't the best, they often program it around emissions or ride-ability, and it's for a stock engine.