How much is a new transmission?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

How much is a new transmission?

Post by Drum Pro »

My Stella has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks. First the gear selector cable broke now the dealer says either the gear selector box is broken or it needs a whole new transmission. What the F is it gonna take to get this bike running again? Voodoo? Some crazy Native American chant? What?
Lambrettaman

Post by Lambrettaman »

Gear selector box is cheap. Transmission can mean lots of thing. I can't imagine you need a new clutch, gears, cluster, cruciform, and selector. Cruciforms are usual suspects. They are cheap, but the labor is not because you have to go deep into the engine case.

What are your symptoms?
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Just a thought......
How was it shifting before the cable broke? I've had a shifter cable fray inside of the cable housing resulting in the whole shifter not functioning properly after installing a new cable. (The new cable didn't push the bits of the old cable out and, after shifting a few times, they became intertwined causing it to jam up)

I would have them disconnect the cables at the shifter box and see if the shift grip moves freely.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It was stuck it third and wouldn't shift then the gear selector cable completely broke and the dealer replaced it, rode it to check if everything was ok and then he calls me saying he can get it to go through the gears but it wont go into neutral or it will stay in neutral and wont shift through the gears. He says he thinks it may be the gear selector box or something is going wrong in the transmission somewhere.