Skully Helmet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

agrogod

Skully Helmet

Post by agrogod »

Hello

Beta selections are now closed, but we have great news that we want to share with you before anyone else.

You can pre-order what Road & Track calls, "the most anticipated motorcycle helmet ever produced" starting Monday, August 11, 2014.

Best Regards,

Marcus Weller, Ph.D.
Chairman & CEO | SKULLY INC.
www.SKULLYSYSTEMS.com

Got this in my email today, still no set price but can only think it will be downright expensive. If anyone is still interested in this helmet pre-orders are close at hand.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Damn that's a cool looking helmet. I'm thinking around 1500, and I could be lowballing.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

OK, I'm gonna be the gadfly.....

With all this gee-whizzy stuff going on in your helmet, why not just stay home, plug the lid into a game system and go for a virtual ride? I'm no luddite, but this is just technology overkill for me. Heads-up or not, it's just another distraction.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

I
AM
SO
ON
BOARD!!!

Seriously though, I can't wait to get my grubby paws on one of these. One of my coworkers was at SXSW and got to see one - she said it was amazing!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

charlie55 wrote:OK, I'm gonna be the gadfly.....

With all this gee-whizzy stuff going on in your helmet, why not just stay home, plug the lid into a game system and go for a virtual ride? I'm no luddite, but this is just technology overkill for me. Heads-up or not, it's just another distraction.

:clap:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Kinda with Charlie. It might be worthwhile, but I can't imagine the cost. If you want a helmet with integrated rear view get a Reevu helmet for around 400 bucks.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Does anyone else thinks it looks about as stylish as this?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

It is a nice looking helmet. I'm not crazy about the bit on the back.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I can see it now: there I am, cruising along with a face full of GPS, rear view, stock tickers, and weather maps when, all of a sudden I pass a wi-fi hotspot. Somehow things go horribly wrong, signals get scrambled, and I've got Kate Upton's SI swimsuit shoot an inch and a half from from me nose.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

charlie55 wrote:I can see it now: there I am, cruising along with a face full of GPS, rear view, stock tickers, and weather maps when, all of a sudden I pass a wi-fi hotspot. Somehow things go horribly wrong, signals get scrambled, and I've got Kate Upton's SI swimsuit shoot an inch and a half from from me nose.
At least you go out smiling :D
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

agrogod wrote:
charlie55 wrote:I can see it now: there I am, cruising along with a face full of GPS, rear view, stock tickers, and weather maps when, all of a sudden I pass a wi-fi hotspot. Somehow things go horribly wrong, signals get scrambled, and I've got Kate Upton's SI swimsuit shoot an inch and a half from from me nose.
At least you go out smiling :D
Oh yeah.

Almost everyone's skidded on gravel, sand, or standing water but I bet I'd be the first one to ever wipe out in a patch of his own drool.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

THIS! As if the Glassholes aren't enough. What do you need any of that for on a MC or scooter? Bluetooth intercom is just about the only thing of any value I can see, and that's IF you really want to have someones voice inside your helmet (as if there weren't already enough there with just you). The fact that anyone would want to be more distracted while riding around, completely exposed to all the distracted people in their cages, is just beyond my comprehension. Think of how many feet you cover in 2 seconds at 50 mph and realize that whatever time you had between seeing the threat and reacting to it either by braking, accelerating (remember kids, wheelie for safety), or maneuvering, is now gone...BAM!!! you're road kill.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

rsrider wrote:

THIS! As if the Glassholes aren't enough. What do you need any of that for on a MC or scooter? Bluetooth intercom is just about the only thing of any value I can see, and that's IF you really want to have someones voice inside your helmet (as if there weren't already enough there with just you). The fact that anyone would want to be more distracted while riding around, completely exposed to all the distracted people in their cages, is just beyond my comprehension. Think of how many feet you cover in 2 seconds at 50 mph and realize that whatever time you had between seeing the threat and reacting to it either by braking, accelerating (remember kids, wheelie for safety), or maneuvering, is now gone...BAM!!! you're road kill.
If a helmet like this(pun intended) is allowed, can I now jerk off while riding? If, in the middle of my trek, I feel the need, what should stop me? Riding a two-wheeled vehicle? Slather it up and RIDE ON.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

The only benefit I would like to have from it is the sat nav in the HUD.

However, there are many times that I don't feel like carrying my helmet inside with me when I stop somewhere. There's no way I would spend that kind of money on something that could easily get stolen.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

One other thing, from the paranoid dept., I don't want my head enclosed in something that is constantly transmitting various waves. Mainstream sources have squelched the mobile phone/brain tumor link, but there are still MD's and other scientists who say that there is causality between mobile phone use and the uptick in brain disorders, not just tumors and other physical anomalies, but emotional and cognitive functions as well. Wearable tech is not something I'm going to buy into any time soon.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Well now that all the pros and cons have been aired, here's another damper on the purchase end. Low end $1200 with the high end being a double purchase (that's 2 helmets) with all the bells and whistles, topping in at $25,000.
I am a tech type person and don't have any problem with this integrated system, but with a hefty price tag its a bit of a wet towel.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

agrogod wrote:Well now that all the pros and cons have been aired, here's another damper on the purchase end. Low end $1200 with the high end being a double purchase (that's 2 helmets) with all the bells and whistles, topping in at $25,000.
I am a tech type person and don't have any problem with this integrated system, but with a hefty price tag its a bit of a wet towel.
Hell, for that price I could hire a "tenth avenue cowboy" to ride in front of me with a siren, flashing lights, and a red flag to ward off any danger.

In case you didn't know, that term was used to describe the horseback riders that carried out a similar function for freight trains running on the surface of 10th avenue in Manhattan way back when.

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

charlie55 wrote: In case you didn't know, that term was used to describe the horseback riders that carried out a similar function for freight trains running on the surface of 10th avenue in Manhattan way back when.

How much did you make an hour, or were you paid by each train? BTW: you look pretty good in that hat. A little Nick Cage thing happening..
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

rsrider wrote:
charlie55 wrote: In case you didn't know, that term was used to describe the horseback riders that carried out a similar function for freight trains running on the surface of 10th avenue in Manhattan way back when.

How much did you make an hour, or were you paid by each train? BTW: you look pretty good in that hat. A little Nick Cage thing happening..
No pay, but every two weeks Clara Bow would personally apply Preparation H to their saddle sores.

That's my maternal great grandfather, Giovanni Battista Gugliermo Bacciagalupo, in the picture. He originally did the job on foot, but the railroad provided him with a horse so's he could make it through Hell's Kitchen without catching a beating from the Irish gangs.

The three guys on the front of the locomotive were responsible for making sure that the horse's ass remained within the rails. The experience they acquired allowed them to serve as mayors of the City of New York in later years.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

charlie55 wrote:
agrogod wrote:Well now that all the pros and cons have been aired, here's another damper on the purchase end. Low end $1200 with the high end being a double purchase (that's 2 helmets) with all the bells and whistles, topping in at $25,000.
Hell, for that price I could hire a "tenth avenue cowboy" to ride in front of me with a siren, flashing lights, and a red flag to ward off any danger.

In case you didn't know, that term was used to describe the horseback riders that carried out a similar function for freight trains running on the surface of 10th avenue in Manhattan way back when.

Makes me think of this video, taken from the front of a trolley in San Fran in 1905.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NINOxRxze9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>