Three months on and a few comments

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raputtak

Three months on and a few comments

Post by Raputtak »

Yep, I have had the Stella 150 4T manual for that long and have put almost 600 miles on it.

1. Top speed is 53 mph +/- wind speed. (Still breaking in, I guess)
2. The cowls are a pain to put on and off with that little prong thingie and the lever under the seat.
3. Rear brake is rubbish
4. Turn signals come and go. Usually it is the connection in the glove box, sometimes the little prong thing on the cowl
5. Gears clunk when I change 'em. Guess I have to live with that.

Otherwise,
A. It is light and nimble
B. It is economical on fuel
C. It is easy to drag to rallies on my Versa-Haul

What do y'all think?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Dude, I know what you mean but you forgot one thing: When it's working it's fun as hell to ride. Mine has been in the shop for the last month. I got a call yesterday that they finally found out what the problem was and it was something so simple it got over looked....
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I've been using the rear brake for controlled slows before applying the front because to heavy of a hand on that makes the front wheel feel like it wants to slide out.

For that the rear works fine...

shifting does seem to clunk if I miss the right rev point, hit it and it seems to slip in/out ok....

56-8pmh (indicated)...it's air aspirated, and only a 150, had to have dealer 'tune the crab' and put on a 2t gas cap to reach that speed and keep it from vapor locking. they tune them way to lean to pass CARB here in CA.

Mileage DID increase as it got broken in, as did power with what I said above...

At least the cowels DO COME OFF, (look at all the new vespa...) plus WE GET A SPARE TIRE! a selling point that got me...easy access to engine, easy change tires.

oh, 1150 miles on my 2012...

Even if it's technically a 35+ design and a bit tractor-like compared to modern it's a continuation of the true scooter experience...IMHO
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

I want to point out that the lean tuned carb is NOT to pass CARB. Running lean will increase NO and SO2 emissions, which cause acid rain. It could be to meet the EPA estimated MPG, but more likely it's because the LML Star is sold worldwide and most countries use non-ethanol gasoline. Non-ethanol requires a leaner optimum air fuel ratio than ethanol gas.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Drum Pro wrote:Dude, I know what you mean but you forgot one thing: When it's working it's fun as hell to ride. Mine has been in the shop for the last month. I got a call yesterday that they finally found out what the problem was and it was something so simple it got over looked....
Was this the shifter problem? I'm curious - what ended up being the issue?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:I want to point out that the lean tuned carb is NOT to pass CARB. Running lean will increase NO and SO2 emissions, which cause acid rain. It could be to meet the EPA estimated MPG, but more likely it's because the LML Star is sold worldwide and most countries use non-ethanol gasoline. Non-ethanol requires a leaner optimum air fuel ratio than ethanol gas.
ah, that explains it....
stupid california boutique gas....
I bet it will run like crap when we switch to the "winter blend"
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

misterbrackets wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:Dude, I know what you mean but you forgot one thing: When it's working it's fun as hell to ride. Mine has been in the shop for the last month. I got a call yesterday that they finally found out what the problem was and it was something so simple it got over looked....
Was this the shifter problem? I'm curious - what ended up being the issue?
It ended up being the gear box selector.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Can somebody explain to me how the electrizicals get out?

I can see that the wire from the little prong thingie going to the lamp unit inside the cowl brings the electrizicals in but how is the return accomplished? Where the cowl meets the body is insulated with a big rubber gasket; the outside of the prong thingie is painted, as are the rear prong and the springumie-jig on the top of the cowl (inside).

Is it through the brass clip that snugs the cowl to the body, as operated by the lever under the seat?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

EvilNerdLord wrote:ah, that explains it....
Ah, you do know that the rest of us get ethanol blended gas as well? The folks that push the politics of E10 the hardest aren't Californians. They are places that grow a lot of corn, i.e. make ethanol. The really nutty idea is using E85 ethanol as a motor fuel.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Dooglas wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:ah, that explains it....
Ah, you do know that the rest of us get ethanol blended gas as well? The folks that push the politics of E10 the hardest aren't Californians. They are places that grow a lot of corn, i.e. make ethanol. The really nutty idea is using E85 ethanol as a motor fuel.
I don't want to get political, CA swaps blends in winter like one else. Has effect on power and Milagros... Pita is what it is... They claim it's for air pollution.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ethanol sucks! 4T riders should consider themselves lucky!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:Ethanol sucks!
Interestingly enough, I ride in Oregon and Florida. It is in Florida that I find it easier to buy ethanol-free (recreational) gas at the pump. Most all the Marathon stations. Runs better in the scooter, and most definitely stores better when the bike is not being ridden.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

The only place I found without ethanol...sears, offer 32oz ethanol free in the mower/weedeater area and it's F'ING EXPENSIVE!

BTW: PITA: PAIN IN THE ASS (or is it Arse, I get confused)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
Interestingly enough, I ride in Oregon and Florida. It is in Florida that I find it easier to buy ethanol-free (recreational) gas at the pump. Most all the Marathon stations. Runs better in the scooter, and most definitely stores better when the bike is not being ridden.
I usually find it at stations that are near boat ramps as "recreational" fuel. There is always that decision between midgrade non ethanol and high octane.

Yes...I understand octane, many of my scooters are high compression.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
I usually find it at stations that are near boat ramps as "recreational" fuel. There is always that decision between midgrade non ethanol and high octane.

Yes...I understand octane, many of my scooters are high compression.
We have it all over for boats, too. But it's usually only 91/92 premium.