Headlight Wiring Driving Me A Little Nuts...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

woundedbreakfast

Headlight Wiring Driving Me A Little Nuts...

Post by woundedbreakfast »

Hi all, first post here (I think). I was on reddit asking around there and they were very helpful.

Basically, the wire connectors snapped so I crimped new ones on. I tested it and everything worked fine.

As I'm screwing the faceplate back on, I think one of the wires got caught near the screw and it looks a bit chewed up. Now The headlight won't work (again).

Agh. Do I have any options besides cutting and soldering a new piece on? Because I do not have a solder nor do I have a garage and it would be a gigantic hassle. :cry:

Thanks in advance!
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Well, if it was me, I would just cut the wire and remove the chewed up portion. Then strip the outer of the two ends and twist the inner wires together and wrap it with electrical tape. Kinda hacky..... but...... that's what I did to fix a turn signal and no problems (yet)
woundedbreakfast

Post by woundedbreakfast »

misterbrackets wrote:Well, if it was me, I would just cut the wire and remove the chewed up portion. Then strip the outer of the two ends and twist the inner wires together and wrap it with electrical tape. Kinda hacky..... but...... that's what I did to fix a turn signal and no problems (yet)
Oh so basically the same process as it would be soldering but without the soldering step eh?

That seems like a suitable solution. Is yours kinda finicky ever after now or does it work reliably?
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

woundedbreakfast wrote:
misterbrackets wrote:Well, if it was me, I would just cut the wire and remove the chewed up portion. Then strip the outer of the two ends and twist the inner wires together and wrap it with electrical tape. Kinda hacky..... but...... that's what I did to fix a turn signal and no problems (yet)
Oh so basically the same process as it would be soldering but without the soldering step eh?

That seems like a suitable solution. Is yours kinda finicky ever after now or does it work reliably?
So far so good. Just make sure to twist the ends together really well and use electrical tape. It should hold up fine as long as the wire isn't in a spot that shifts around a lot.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Not a huge fan of these, but it's better than nothing.